Re: Boost Your Proposal to the Top of List

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
71 of 338

Renata S wrote:

Maria T wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

Excited to try this out? We are eager to gather feedback while we’re testing this feature. Let us know your thoughts so we can continue to make the work marketplace even better for you.

No, I'm not at all excited about this new mess.
Like others I expected that, with all the opinions we already gave when the experiment came to light "by mistake", this would not take place.

I share Maria's feelings about this. 

Something I would be excited to find out about is what process typically leads Upwork to make decisions like this. Who generates ideas the ideas that you go forward with, and who needs to approve them? Who determines whether their potential impact on freelancers is good or bad (or more to the point, is there anyone in the company with enough good sense and/or humility to formulate a question about that)? What sort of veto mechanism is there in place to stop people from developing stuff like this? And while you're at it, maybe you could let us in on other ideas the company has in the past considered too bad to move forward on. Maybe a little background would help those of us who can't fathom why something like this was approved. 

Is Upwork in deep enough danger that the sale of connects is going to make that big a difference to the company's financial future? Or is this yet another in a series of dumb bells and whistles that people are trotting out just to "do something different"?  

In addition to what Renata says, it would be fine if the person who is responsible for this appeared here so that it is who faces and answers everything that is being raised.
Because you want to collect opinions but here no one is interacting on the part of Upwork.
For other "launches" it has already been done.

2a05aa63
Community Guru
Viacheslav K Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
72 of 338

Renata S wrote:

Something I would be excited to find out about is what process typically leads Upwork to make decisions like this. Who generates ideas the ideas that you go forward with, and who needs to approve them? Who determines whether their potential impact on freelancers is good or bad (or more to the point, is there anyone in the company with enough good sense and/or humility to formulate a question about that)? What sort of veto mechanism is there in place to stop people from developing stuff like this? And while you're at it, maybe you could let us in on other ideas the company has in the past considered too bad to move forward on. Maybe a little background would help those of us who can't fathom why something like this was approved.

Companies generally hire analysts and strategists for this job. It's not one person. They look at stats and data and do predictions. Then they create a beta and see how they new features work. After they get more data, they either improve the system or remove it. Any change of an existing feature will be greeted with negative opinions, but they don't matter much. There's only few % of the freelancers lurking the forums. The stats and data are what matter. If this change will make revenue and make it easier for clients to hire freelancers then it will stay.

They got away with raising the fee to 20% so there's not much simple complaining will do on other features.

claudiacezy
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
73 of 338

Maria T wrote:

And again, why would an inexperienced freelancer with no work done be above me in the list that the client sees? Just because he has decided to spend a few connects for the customer to believe that he is the most suitable.

Some of you are way positive that newbies will be those boosting the proposal ... while many aren't yet ready to get that job, there are as well many others qualified for that job. It's easy to decline the no way ... but difficult to decide when you have several qualified proposals.

I don't know exactly how proposals from agencies work ... maybe that's something to keep an eye on to prevent unfair boosting manipulation practices, possibly the agencies will dominate the highlighted spots.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
74 of 338

Valeria K wrote:

We are eager to gather feedback while we’re testing this feature. 

I would have thought that if Upwork was that "eager to gather feedback", they'd have taken some of the feedback provided when this was accidentally released into the wild last month on board?

Valeria K wrote:

Let us know your thoughts

We did. Yet.... here we are.

creatifynetwork
Shreef E Member Since: Nov 26, 2016
75 of 338

I will then encourage everyone to just spend 1 bid on each job, that way we all save our proposals and the system will keep rating like how it rate right now Smiley Very Happy

moonraker
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
76 of 338

Shreef E wrote:

I will then encourage everyone to just spend 1 bid on each job, that way we all save our proposals and the system will keep rating like how it rate right now Smiley Very Happy

A nash strategy.

If only it were feasible. 

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
77 of 338

Shreef E wrote:

Best idea award for now, applause.

qqsolutions
Community Guru
Muhammad Saif U Member Since: Oct 18, 2015
78 of 338

I appreciate the idea !!

roberty1y
Community Guru
Robert Y Member Since: Aug 25, 2017
79 of 338

I hope we can get a few more clients on to this thread to tell Upwork that it's an equally awful idea from their side. It will probably take them a while longer to see what's really going on.

I think a simple non-refundable connects idea is best. You spend connects, and you don't get them back, ever. It must be easy for dishonest freelancers to game the "connects refunded for interview" system. Just lie about being uniquely qualified for some jobs (or promise to do them at a fraction of the going rate), and you're pretty sure to get a response at least half the time.

2a05aa63
Community Guru
Viacheslav K Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
80 of 338

I do like that people get refunded when they don't get to the top and that the top 3 will spend the same amount.

I see that the premise is to slim down the number of freelancers visible to the client. If the client doesn't like the top 3 they will just choose someone else who spent 1 connect.

Compared to the information we got last month, I do see this feature having some positives. It gives freelancers a way to show that they are highly interested in a specific job. And since they have to pay for it, they won't be able to do this on every job.

And no matter how much you spend, it won't guarantee that you will get the job. But the client will at least look at your profile.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS