cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes for Specialized Profiles in Mobile Development

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 45

Update: All specialized iOS and Android profiles will be deleted today (August 20th). If you did not migrate your profile to the new mobile app or mobile game development profile, you can still create a new one by visiting your profile where you will then be prompted to create your specialized profile. 

Update: As of Monday July 23rd, draft profiles in the mobile development category have now been deleted.

As you may recall, we have been testing out a new specialized profile that was announced here, last November. We’re happy to report that since the beta test began, we’ve noticed strong results from specialized profiles in the mobile development category. Freelancers with specialized profiles have collectively seen a 30% increase in the number of clients inviting them to jobs. While the results have been good, we’ve learned that clients tend to search for what they want built, like mobile apps or mobile games, instead of by mobile operating system.

To help freelancers with specialized profiles better match with clients searching for their expertise, we’ve decided to change the mobile development specialities to coincide with our learnings. Starting Monday July 23rd, freelancers who have published iOS or Android specialized profiles will be prompted to switch their specialized profiles to mobile app or mobile game development ones. To make this process as easy as possible, we’ve created a step-by-step wizard that will detect and auto-populate existing specialized profile information so freelancers will only have to review, finalize, and publish their new profiles.

Freelancers who have an unpublished specialized profile for iOS or Android will also find their draft profiles deleted next Monday, July 23rd. Users who have drafts will be notified by email, letting them know of this change (if they have not opted out of marketing emails).  

For freelancers in other categories, we thank you for your patience as we work on refining the specialized profile experience and will update you when we will be rolling this out to additional categories.

See a video of our product manager Cary explaining these changes.

Untitled
Community Leader
Piush P Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
2 of 45

"Starting Monday July 23rd, freelancers who have published iOS or Android specialized profiles will be prompted to switch their specialized profiles to mobile app or mobile game development ones."

In one word it would be an "Awesome". Because if I consider myself (my personal opinion) than most of time I decline invitations due to they were not relevant as per my main skills. I work only for game development (specially for mobile game development for both iOS and Android) since 2011 on upwork and I had done 60+ jobs where my each job was relevant to mobile game development. So I am sure this step/action/procedure will help to those freelancers who are purely working for either mobile game development OR mobile application development. Obviously mobile game development and mobile application development, both are completely differ thing. I cant stop to see this improvement.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 45

@Lena E wrote:

For freelancers in other categories, we thank you for your patience as we work on refining the specialized profile experience and will update you when we will be rolling this out to additional categories.

Upwork, you will not decide in what skills people can specialize, are you? I mean, if you give me a way to split my service offerings into three profiles, I would love to decide what goes where and what kind of specialized profile I will have. For instance, I may have one for translation, one for editing and a third one for writing.

What I really don't want is for Upwork to hardcode what I can specialize into.

Just saying...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 45

Hi Rene,

Thanks for your question. We are beginning the early stages of testing and at this time only freelancers in the “Mobile Dev” category and some of those that have completed mobile development projects in the past will be invited to create a specialized profile. We hope to roll out the option to other categories in the coming months at which time we'll be able to share more information and also respond to the question you posted here. We’ll keep you posted!

Community Manager
5 of 45

Rene, 

Freelancers will definitely be able to control which specialized profiles they have and we will not be hardcoding their profiles. We're still working out what the full list of services will be - we're taking into consideration the way that clients search for freelancers and making sure we're covering all types of work in our new taxonomy. Ultimately freelancers will have control over how they want to customize their profiles the same way that they do today.

Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 45

Profiles are already being hardcoded, otherwise there would not be all the outcry on other similar threads. 

I have decided to freelance again. If Upwork serves my purpose then well and good, if not, then there are other fish in other ponds to fry and they may taste just as good. I regard my clients as people with whom I wish to collaborate, with whom to form a relationship without being micromanaged by the agent who has introduced us and to whom a substantial fee is being paid. 

If the agent concerned is not managing that money correctly, this is neither the client's nor the freelancer's fault or problem. 

Neither client nor freelancer should be manipulated into choosing what Upwork wants them to choose. Hamstringing has never worked as a business model.   

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 45

“Freelancers who have an unpublished specialized profile for iOS or Android will also find their draft profiles deleted next Monday, July 23rd. Users who have drafts will be notified by email, letting them know of this change (if they have not opted out of marketing emails).” [emphasis added]

That seems like a peculiar exception. Surely such a notice would not be a marketing email, but an operational one, affecting a core feature of the site? Because a dev has opted out of marketing emails, they’re going to be kept in the dark about deletion of a draft profile in which they have invested time (at Upwork’s encouragement)—or be unable to respond timely to the (ridiculously short) deadline Upwork is imposing to complete and publish their drafts before the automated transition?

Surely there is some other mailing category that could include all affected contractors?

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
8 of 45

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

“Freelancers who have an unpublished specialized profile for iOS or Android will also find their draft profiles deleted next Monday, July 23rd. Users who have drafts will be notified by email, letting them know of this change (if they have not opted out of marketing emails).” [emphasis added]

That seems like a peculiar exception. Surely such notice would not be a marketing email, but an operational one, affecting a core feature of the site? Because a dev has opted out of marketing emails, they’re going to be kept in the dark about deletion of a draft profile in which they have invested time (at Upwork’s encouragement)—or rendered unable to respond timely to the (ridiculously short) deadline Upwork is imposing to complete and publish their drafts before the automated transition?

Surely there is some other mailing category that could include all affected contractors?

That (emphasis mine) is the way it should be. Unfortunately, opting out of receiving marketing emails (like I did 2 years ago) means you do not receive ANY official UW messages regarding operational issues including maintenance & updates as that, too, seems to fall under the marketing umbrella...

Community Manager
9 of 45

Douglas Michael,

I understand your concern. Although, freelancers who are part of the beta for web development specialized profiles were added back in November to create this profile. Freelancers in the beta are also asked before submitting a proposal in this category if they'd like to use or create their specialized profile. So they have had a while, several months, to create and or publish an uncompleted draft. Of which many are blank or with little content and are most likely because a freelancer forgot they created a draft. In any case, our goal is to make this pretty simple, so if someone is creating a new specialized profile it wont be complicated or time consuming.

-Lena

Untitled
Ace Contributor
Vinod M Member Since: Sep 27, 2017
10 of 45

Hi,

This seems to be a good change. Actually a couple of days ago I have received invites on email to test the new specialized profiles over a 50-minute web-assisted phone interview. 

Can anyone from upwork please tell me that its true mail sent by upwork team? Its cause, generally I receive notification emails by the name "Upwork" but this seems to be sent through personal email so just not sure about this. It has asked me to sign up to book a time slot for the call. 

If its true then I can go ahead and signup soon.

Thanks,

Vinod 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS