Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Changes to Upwork’s User Flag System

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
11 of 22

While I appreciate you concerns, Nedra, I don't recommend Upwork add flag options relevant to specific fields or industries only. Such options would clog the list too much.

Whatever flag options are added should be applicable to a wide range of categories.

On these grounds, Academic fraud would not qualify as a flag option because it comes up almost exclusively in the writing section.

But, I may be wrong. If you're a dev guy, a translator, in legal, business or finance consulting or an admin gurl, feel free to let us know if you see academic fraud posts often in your feed.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lucio Ricardo M Member Since: May 16, 2018
12 of 22

The area-specific flags should not clog the list if they are programatically shown only in the categories where they are relevant.

Other issue, that I don't know if the wide opinion is that it deserves a flag, is where clients offers an hourly job but after a little they asks for a budget. Yes, I know that clients have budget, but appears an abuse of the job sorting system to post jobs as hourly intending to be fixed-price.

Highlighted
Elizabeth S Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
13 of 22

Dorian, I am responding to your statement regarding "something else" comments in which you noted only 5% of those comments as pertaining to academic fraud. While I am a ghostwriting freelancer who actually does try to report prospective clients seeking to commit academic fraud, the process to report it is considerably more time-consuming that flagging. For years, too many other freelancers on this forum (besides me) have expressed a similar perspective on the lack of the ability to specifically flag academic fraud. If UpWork does not take a stronger approach to decreasing academic fraud, it is really aiding such fraud. After all, students clearly know that their chances of finding an unethical freelancer to write their required reports is probable if they simply persist. Over time, the problem has gotten worse - and not better. Although I doubt you will take constructive action on this matter, I felt it was important that readers new to this forum recognize that this is an ongoing problem - and perhaps you will be the UpWork representative who finally does something about this problem! Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
14 of 22

So when is "Client is asking for free work" coming back? It's still not there! This is one of the most common reasons why I flag a job post.

Highlighted
Upwork Staff
Dorian H Upwork Staff Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
15 of 22

Hi Isabelle,

I wanted to provide time for the community to comment and give me feedback and suggestions. This was so I wouldn't have my colleagues do the same task twice because I missed a flag. As it has been a couple weeks since I first posted, I consider the comment period for new flags closed and have assigned the task to be done. When I have a more solid ETA I will of course update this forum. My apologies if that wasn't more readily apparent in my previous messages.

Best,

Dorian

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
16 of 22

Dorian H wrote:

Hi Isabelle,

I wanted to provide time for the community to comment and give me feedback and suggestions. This was so I wouldn't have my colleagues do the same task twice because I missed a flag. As it has been a couple weeks since I first posted, I consider the comment period for new flags closed and have assigned the task to be done. When I have a more solid ETA I will of course update this forum. My apologies if that wasn't more readily apparent in my previous messages.

Best,

Dorian

I don't really understand your reply. Are the previous flagging options like "client is asking for free work" going to be reinstated or not, like it says you will in your original post? If yes, then when? Or is it just one of those things that will be on Upwork's to-do list for years?

Highlighted
Upwork Staff
17 of 22

Hi Isabelle,

The "client is asking for free work" flag will be re-instated and the other three flags I mentioned will be added. I have assigned this task to one of the engineers at Upwork. Even though it sounds simple to add these flags I can assure there is some complexity to it. I should have a firm sense of when he will complete this task sometime next week and I will update this forum when I have that information. I know this flag is important to the community and I thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

Best,

Dorian

Dorian H Member Since: Aug 5, 2020
18 of 22

Hi Everyone,

I've spoken with the engineering team. The job posts flags update will be completed in the next two weeks. We are hopeful that it will get done sooner. Additionally, the agents who will be reviewing the flags have been informed that "Job post is illegal or unethical" also covers Academic Fraud. Which means you won't have to type "Academic Fraud" in the comment box as they will be looking for this behavior for that flag. Please continue to use the comments box to provide any additional details or information you think is important, as it lets us resolve these flags more efficiently. Thanks again for your feedback.

Best,

Dorian

Highlighted
Upwork Staff
19 of 22

Good news Everyone. Engineering was able to work some magic and the flags are officially live. Please let me know if you are having any issues with the new flags not appearing for you when you try to flag a job post. Again my thanks for your patience as we worked to update this feature.Capture.PNG

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
20 of 22

Thanks, Dorian. I noticed it a few minutes ago (but had to use "It's something else" for spammed invites).

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS