cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Upwork’s client membership plans

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
31 of 240

Hi Razmik,

Thanks for reaching out. We see that with limited invitations, clients are much more deliberate about whom they invite, resulting in more targeted, relevant invitations that are more likely to be accepted. With this higher acceptance rate, we expect the number of invites clients need to find the right freelancer will be smaller. That said, we’ve heard from clients and freelancers about the three-invite limit on Upwork Basic and understand the concerns. As a result, we are already planning to allow all clients who post high-value jobs (based on budget and length of a project) to invite six freelancers to submit a proposal.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
32 of 240

Vladimir G wrote:

....We see that with limited invitations, clients are much more deliberate about whom they invite, resulting in more targeted, relevant invitations that are more likely to be accepted. With this higher acceptance rate, we expect the number of invites clients need to find the right freelancer will be smaller. That said, we’ve heard from clients and freelancers about the three-invite limit on Upwork Basic and understand the concerns. As a result, we are already planning to allow all clients who post high-value jobs (based on budget and length of a project) to invite six freelancers to submit a proposal.

Thanks for the data, Vladimir.

And...the business about variable invite limits has been kicking around for a while (I have a vague recollection it was supposed to be implemented by now). Why on earth would Upwork not dangle this carrot in front of clients while it's swinging the big stick of the policy change (and reneging on its prior grandfathering provision)? (Rhetorical question. Above your pay grade, I know.)

33 of 240

Hi Michael,

Even though the question is rhetorical, I will confirm we're already offering all clients who post high-value jobs 6 invitations to freelancers, and have shared this information with both freelancers and clients. I'll share your feedback with the team regarding better highlighting this information.

Hi Virginia,

Regarding the process of identifying high-value jobs, as shared before on the Connects announcement thread these are determined using estimated duration, budget amount and marketplace demand. I'm sorry about the frustration you feel but I can assure you we are actively sharing your feedback with our team and your voice is heard.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
34 of 240

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Razmik,

Thanks for reaching out. We see that with limited invitations, clients are much more deliberate about whom they invite, resulting in more targeted, relevant invitations that are more likely to be accepted. With this higher acceptance rate, we expect the number of invites clients need to find the right freelancer will be smaller. That said, we’ve heard from clients and freelancers about the three-invite limit on Upwork Basic and understand the concerns. As a result, we are already planning to allow all clients who post high-value jobs (based on budget and length of a project) to invite six freelancers to submit a proposal.

This is totally subjective - high-value to whom? Here's a news flash, Upwork. Lots of clients test the waters with small jobs first, and then move on to either larger jobs or more/repeat jobs if they've latched onto a freelancer they like. Please give everyone the same features and stop punishing potential clients who don't meet what you think is good criteria.

I don't know why Upwork likes shooting itself in the foot so much.

ETA: There's no point in my comments - I have no voice, even though Upwork keeps asking me to "tell them what I think" with that annoying and pointless popup. Time to unsubscribe from this very depressing thread.

Razmik G Member Since: Jun 17, 2019
35 of 240

" We see that with limited invitations, clients are much more deliberate about whom they invite, resulting in more targeted, relevant invitations that are more likely to be accepted."

Well that just sounds like utter nonsense to hide the actual reason behind it which is an attempt to force clients to pay for monthly subscriptions. We as clients are not babies, nor are freelancers. If we decide to invite X amount of freelancers, we have our reasons and you are in no position to decide how much is good enough for us. Furthermore, the fact that you allow more invites based on pricier subscriptions kind of destroys your own argument.

We are not here to gamble or negotiate. Get rid of invitation limit based on the subscription type or you will get rid of a substantial portion of your clients. Or better yet, get rid of this subscription based nonsense you are trying to push down our throats and maybe we all can try to pretend this all mess never happened. Again, we are not here to gamble or negotiate on numbers.

jp f Member Since: Oct 31, 2016
36 of 240

well that's clearly a lie vladimir. if that was the reason [resulting in more targeted, relevant invitations that are more likely to be accepted]  then why allow  for more freelancers to be able to apply with the higher paid plans. It's clearly just a money making racket which is obvious to anyone here.

Adrian S Member Since: Jun 17, 2019
37 of 240

I noticed Upwork is rolling out new plans. I am recommended to continue on the free Basic plan. Since it does unfortunately not facilitate Activity codes, how will I be able to track a freelancers work at all? 

Thanks and best regards.

Kyle B Member Since: Jun 17, 2019
38 of 240

I just want to verify that I understand this correctly. I noticed I lost my basic reporting features today and was prompted to pick a new plan. So, just to check, for the Upwork Plus (49.99/month) -- that includes the 3% processing fee, correct?  Meaning I don't have to pay that fee in addition to the subscription. (If I'm using a U.S. Bank Account) 

And so, if I'm paying my freelancers, on average $1700 per month. (which would otherwise accumulate 50 dollars in processing fees) -- the upgrade essentially pays for itself? I just want to be clear about the fees.

Thanks very much

39 of 240

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your question, that is correct. With Upwork Plus plan you won’t be charged the 3% payment processing fee when you continue to pay using your bank account (ACH). The Plus plan also includes access to an account manager, talent sourcing, one free Featured Job per month and continued access to tools like teams, reporting, and multiple billing methods.

Steve G Member Since: Jun 17, 2019
40 of 240

Read my post.  They're taking advantage of the small businesses that built them. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS