cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Upwork’s client membership plans

integratecloud
Chirag S Member Since: May 29, 2019
71 of 240

If you take freelancers off the platform those freelancers who cheat will not show up in the search results since the Upwork ranking algorithm will rank the freelancers by their recent billing with upwork.So may be the freelancer can get away with one project but when they come back to get the next project they will not show up in the search results.

What a nice way to catch cheaters

7c22182e
Collin S Member Since: Jun 17, 2019
72 of 240

Wow. Taking away tons of features unless I pay $50(!) a month extra. This on top of the processing fee you already take from me and the 10% you take from my long-term partners. 

I both work through upwork and hire through upwork and this is truly heinous. 

stevegil00
Steve G Member Since: Jun 17, 2019
73 of 240

Read my post.  Upworks is nothing but a tech widget, but yet they skim an hour off - to your point - long term partners.  In addition, processing fees.

integratecloud
74 of 240

May be build your own platform from ground up and dont charge fees.I will come there

adjwilley
Anthony W Member Since: May 4, 2016
75 of 240

This is the last straw for me too. I've been on Odesk/Upwork since 2013 and I've spent over $20k over the years. I almost left the platform a couple of years ago after the money grab where they started taking an extra 10% from new clients and an extra 2.75% from freelancers, but I stayed on because I spend most of my money on long-term contracts (so my freelancers can mostly avoid the 20% fee) and the 2.75% isn't that unreasonable to recoup credit card transactions. I would have been happy to switch to paying by bank account in exchange for them dropping the 2.75% fee, but they wanted to make me pay something like $30/mo extra for the "privilege" of helping them avoid credit card fees, so I declined on that count. 

This latest update just adds insult to injury. $500/mo to retain the same functionality I have now? $50/mo for the privilege of linking my bank account and posting one job per month? No thank you. And as for the extra customer support offered with the premium packages...I've tried using the customer support and hiring assistance in the past, and it was basically worthless. It was basically another unqualified person telling me that "any of these 5 high-ranked freelancers are qualified for your job." (They weren't.) Things got easier once I accepted that I was on my own and that I didn't need the hiring assistance anyway.

From this point on I will be asking freelancers who have been with me longer than the required 2-year mark to join me on a different freelancing site, and I don't see myself ever creating another job posting here unless/until these new policies are reversed. 

5d727ea9
Colin B Member Since: Jun 17, 2019
76 of 240

lol that is a bad joke.. 49$ a month to keep same feature and being able to use the advanced search.

Time to find better alternatives!! 

integratecloud
77 of 240

No freelancer will come since there is no place like upwork.com and if a freelancer has made it reputation in upwork.com why would he come else.Also the supply is so high that if that freelancer comes with you there are numerous freelancers ready to take his position and build their profile.

stevegil00
Steve G Member Since: Jun 17, 2019
78 of 240

If I'm jumping to a conclusion here, I apologize up front.  However, this just doesn't smell right. 

Adding a subscription commitment - on top of other monies paid - to use Upworks is a squeeze.   

Simply put, you either are a subscription service or a service that charges fees or one that makes money based on marking up their service. If you mandate a subscription plan, you'll be charging your customer 3 different ways.   You already charge fees (i.e. processing) and haircut monies to freelancer for every hour worked.   Pick one!

If Upworks was adding more value, maybe. 

But, let's be honest:

Upworks is a tech widget to connect freelancers with employers.  Nothing more nothing less.  You're not adding any value to the hiring process or have any expertise I need to run my business.  Employers are still taking the risk in hiring freelancers in hopes they work out and meet the demands of their business.  

I hope this gets to some senior individuals to reconsider or (at a minimum) segment those long-standing customers who are doing a good amount of business (i.e minimum hours billed by freelancer). 

I've been with Upworks for a long time (previously Elance).   But, can guarantee you I will figure something out that makes more sense.  Entrepreneurs always do.  In addition, I'll make it loud and clear on social media what's going on here.   

integratecloud
79 of 240

Entrpenuers cannot figure out this business.There is only upwork just like only facebook.May be hire from freelancer.com and try or may be fiverr.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
80 of 240

I was assured by Upwork moderators in this forum that my existing client plan would be "grandfathered" and I would keep my 2.75% payment processing fee and access to features like teams. Now it seems this is not the case?

In this thread mods still seem to be indicating that I will keep the ability to use my existing teams setup, even if I get automatically moved to the "Basic" plan. But the email I received is telling me I should upgrade to the "Plus" plan because I'm using teams. Now I'm confused whether I'll lose my teams setup or not?

I have been working with nearly all of my freelancers for longer than the 2 year disintermediation period. Maybe it is finally time to move the majority of my work off Upwork.

EDIT to add: I'd also like to know if forcing me to move to Basic after all means I will lose my Upwork Premium support.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS