cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Upwork’s client membership plans

Monika S Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
231 of 240

Small clients have been vetting the freelancer pool for mid size and enterprise clients. In new skill sets, new technologies, or repetitive/low skill areas with too many freelancers alike.

In effect, the market has been weeding out wannabe experts and helped bright talent to predict which training or specialization is worth the freelancer’ investment  

I also work as a recruiter, specialized in Upwork searches, a good old kind of search, multiple short paid test projects now just made more difficult to sell to my clients, because these got more labor intensive and may need creative solutions to balance out team admin costs with profitability. Unless clients pay $499/month 

If clients, fired up by narrowed options and lack of congruent communication, seek alternatives of Upwork, sure, they'll find some things. This skill of finding solutions is the reason they‘re entrepreneurs.

Sorry for my lament, I worry that the flow of vetted talents may dry up in a year, pushing as back 7-9 years, when both Elance and oDesk had more fraudulent than real projects and „i can do any tin, Sir, I am writter“ blank profiles in huge waves

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
232 of 240

I'm not sure where Upwork thinks I'm going to be finding $1K+ contracts if they keep squeezing what they're calling the (once touted, now deprecated) "gig" market segment of <$1K contracts where most of my "larger engagements" begin.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
233 of 240

Douglas Michael M wrote:

I'm not sure where Upwork thinks I'm going to be finding $1K+ contracts if they keep squeezing what they're calling the (once touted, now deprecated) "gig" market segment of <$1K contracts where most of my "larger engagements" begin.

This!!!

And... The gig category is where clients test the waters--with individual FLs and with the platform. It's where FLs prove themselves and start building traction as assets to UW. As Monika noted above, it's where smaller clients vet the FL pool, which benefits large clients. And the best of the FLs and clients operating at the <$1k/contract level require little, if any, intervention on UW's part to hand-hold through routine processes or settle disputes. I'm worried that UW is going to wind up throwing out a lot of babies with the bathwater.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
234 of 240

Phyllis G wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

This!!!

And... The gig category is where clients test the waters--with individual FLs and with the platform. It's where FLs prove themselves and start building traction as assets to UW. As Monika noted above, it's where smaller clients vet the FL pool, which benefits large clients. And the best of the FLs and clients operating at the <$1k/contract level require little, if any, intervention on UW's part to hand-hold through routine processes or settle disputes. I'm worried that UW is going to wind up throwing out a lot of babies with the bathwater.

This is true, but I'm betting on Upwork finding a way to make the remaining babies pay for the cost of having thrown out so many babies that earned good money for themselves and Upwork.

Peggy H Member Since: Jun 28, 2019
235 of 240

I just started with Upwork, we hired a freelancer and all was seemingly going smooth.  We are a very small compnay and don't expect to hire more than 2-5 people a year if that.  Once my free subscription reverted to basic everything I thought I knew about Upwork turned out to be "fake news".  We now have access to NO reports to manage our hire and after 30 minutes on line I still can't find anyone to help me.  Your article is the most revealing albeit misinformation I have read. If this is the improvement to the one size fits all model, glad I didn't join sooner.  Paying 50 a month is not a vialble solution for a company that will use your services  a few times and already pays 3%.  Come on, really?  I can't access any reports they all say I have upgrade.  I wish now I would have recorded my conversations with your oh so helpful salepeople when I was getting strated.  They promised the world.  Now I feel screwed.  Good luck with this business model.  

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
236 of 240

Hi Peggy, 

I'm sorry to learn your disappointment with this change. I would just like to note that you should still be able to access your Work Diaries, Transactions, and Weekly Summaries (through an email). 

While the Work Diary no longer appears in your Reports tab, you still have access to view it and all contract details on a contract-by-contract basis in the Contract Room. You can access the Contract Room from two places: My Jobs>Contracts for active contracts or Jobs>All Contracts.

To be able to access your Transactions report, please hover your mouse over the “Reports” tab and then click on “Transactions.” 

Upwork Client Basic customers will still be able to see their weekly transactions through the Weekly Summary email. For more information, please visit this Help Center article.

-Avery
Untitled
Jonathan F Member Since: Sep 26, 2019
237 of 240

The closes thing I can find is the "transaction history" under reports.  But there is no way to filter for charges to my credit card.  I can filter by Debits, but since I used escrow to pay the developer, the total at the bottom of the page is twice the amount that was charged to my credit card.  There must be another view that shows only charges to my credit card.  

Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
238 of 240

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for reaching out to us. As part of the Basic plan you have access to several reports:

• Transaction report. This gives you a detailed view of all your Upwork transactions.
  • Freelancer work diaries. Visit the Contract Room for any project to see a freelancer’s Work Diary.
  • Weekly Summary email. Account admins will get this weekly email report, which includes details such as the hours logged by your freelancer(s).

Based on data about how clients use reports, we expect that the tools above will give the majority of clients the information they need to manage their projects. However, in cases where clients need more information, we are offering the paid Client Plus plan. Feel free to follow up if you have further questions.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Peggy H Member Since: Jun 28, 2019
239 of 240
I agree, am having a terrible time managing this with inaccurate and incomplete information on the invoice. In some cases where I am to be charged 3% plus hours the invoice just shows the hourly charge and in other weeks the invoice shows I am charged the hours plus 6%or 8%. I am dumbfounded as to why the invoice doesn't exactly match the hourly rate plus 3% Upwork handling charge. It boggles the mind. If you figure this out please share with me.
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
240 of 240

Hi Peggy,

I checked this for you and looks like all invoices are correct and all fees were correctly charged at 3%.

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS