cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Closing Fixed Price contracts with no activity

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
61 of 96

Hi Sergei,

If your clients aren't responding to your messages, go ahead and close the contracts. Your clients will have the opportunity to provide feedback during the 14-day period after the end date. Your Job Success Score won't be affected negatively if you as a freelancer close your contracts, unless there's a pattern of contracts with no feedback.

The party that ends the contract is required to leave feedback, and we'd advise building your communication and relationships with clients in a way that you don't need to close the contracts yourself.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
62 of 96

@Vladimir G wrote:

....we'd advise building your communication and relationships with clients in a way that you don't need to close the contracts yourself.

And I would advise Upwork not to hide the "close contract" option from the client upon successful completion of the final milestone, so we don't need to close the contracts ourselves or nag (ex-)clients to do so.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
63 of 96

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Sergei,

unless there's a pattern of contracts with no feedback.

and we'd advise building your communication and relationships with clients in a way that you don't need to close the contracts yourself.

When you make it so hard to find the feedback button you can bet your life there is going to be a LOT of no feedback for each and every freelancer here.

Building communications?? Really?? My jobs last 2-3 days at most. I don't get time to build communication with a one off client who is here for a resume and then gone forever. 

When does Upwork plan to make things easier for the client?

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
64 of 96

@Sergei F wrote:

Hello.

I have 4 ongoing projects with no activity about 6 month.

My clients are doesn't reply.

We finished all successfully, but projects are still in progress.

Now I can't to get my "Top Rated" bage, cause have only 87% of job success.

Can I close that projects without clients?

Thank you.

Why are you allowed a cartoon for a picture? That's against the terms of service here. 

Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
65 of 96

I have 2 fixed contract jobs that are beyond 76 days inactive but they are still open. I already contacted those clients before to ask for any additional tasks but they did not reply. I may just have to manually close them with several weeks of interval (as suggested by fellow contractors in the other threads) so as not to affect the JSS that much. 

Community Guru
66 of 96
Maria Marilyn,

It's all but certain you've already been punished for the clients' leaving the jobs open that long. It's impossible to know for sure, because Upwork won't tell us when open contracts start to stink. However, at 76 days, Upwork should be contacting those clients as we type with a reminder to close, and will do so once more before closing the jobs at 90 days.

Best,
Michael
Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
67 of 96

^I guess I just have to wait until 90 days and see what happens. I'm hesitant to end the contract without getting any feedback at all, especially if the job was completed successfully. 

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
68 of 96

So.....this closing of fixed price contracts....is it still in the works? I ask because I have noticed tons of freelancers around with unclosed jobs spanning a few years?,,,,,,and no, they cannot possibly be active, judging by the low payments.

Community Guru
69 of 96

@Irene B wrote:

So.....this closing of fixed price contracts....is it still in the works? I ask because I have noticed tons of freelancers around with unclosed jobs spanning a few years?,,,,,,and no, they cannot possibly be active, judging by the low payments.

Perhaps an "improvement" of abandoning auto-closure has been rolled out with as little fanfare or forethought as was the "improvement" of implementing auto-closure. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
70 of 96

@Irene B wrote:

I ask because I have noticed tons of freelancers around with unclosed jobs spanning a few years?,,,,,

Irene, we do intend to close idle projects that haven't seen activity for more than 90 days as we announced here. We ran into some nuances when we started doing this, but it is on our radar to complete the process.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS