Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
21 of 96

Thanks Valerie!

Ace Contributor
Chris K Member Since: Feb 13, 2015
22 of 96

does it really matter?
odesk claims this "forum" is for transparency.  They make awful sure that potential customers dont see this forum.  not to mention i cant post threads.  and they have hardly ANYONE on here compared to a normal forum.

but none of that matters as this forum is completely private and blocked from google.

so its really nothing more than a place for angry people to blow off steam so upwork doesnt get a ton of bad ratings and have to change their name again.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
23 of 96

@Chris K wrote:

so its really nothing more than a place for angry people to blow off steam so upwork doesnt get a ton of bad ratings and have to change their name again.

The first time I saw an operational change announcement—remember those?—that ended with the invitation to "Sound off" about the change, I thought it was a refreshing departure from the usual corporate boilerplate. The next time I saw it, I realized it is corporate boilerplate, and signifies exactly how how much use it is to accept the invitation.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
24 of 96

@Chris K wrote:

does it really matter?
odesk claims this "forum" is for transparency.  They make awful sure that potential customers dont see this forum.  not to mention i cant post threads.  and they have hardly ANYONE on here compared to a normal forum.

but none of that matters as this forum is completely private and blocked from google.

The forum is not hidden from Google. Type a search for Upwork forum it pops up on the first page.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
25 of 96

Garnor M wrote in the Freelancer forum:

We did not anticipate that these closures would cause such concern. This was a miss on our part and we will aim to do much better in announcing changes as they are closer to fruition.

This is the most stunning statement of all. 

The only way you could not have anticipated this, is to not have had a take on the mood and tone of the company's freelancers and clients. 

A miss on "our" part?

If the company had even glanced at the forums in the last few months they would have been able to foresee this happening with a great deal of clarity.

Of all the things assessed in the Job Success score, the issue of No Feedback from clients being the freelancer's fault has been one of the MOST discussed issues as being one of the most unfair.

The minute everyone saw what Upwork had done overnight, panic ensued because we all knew exactly how it was going to affect freelancers.

How could you possibly not have anticipated this?

How can the company be so unaware of what is going on with this key component of their business? How far detached are they from the realities that freelancers and clients face on a daily basis. 

It is extremely disturbing that no one saw this coming and it tells us that no one properly analyzed this situation before putting it into effect.

This is no way to run a business if you expect it to be successful.

Since the 5th of May I have seen this company and it's reputation going downhill at a rapid pace. Many of us wonder and comment on the viability of a company that does not listen to it's customers...clients and freelancers alike.

If this company does not take a serious turn in the right direction and soon, there will be no recovering from the damage that is being done on a daily basis. Investors are going to lose a lot of money if the direction does not change. 

Will anyone at the company be able to "anticiapate" that that the end is near? If they DO NOT start listening to those who pay their salaries that is exactly what is going to happen.

After  7 years with Odesk I am very disappointed, that what was once a great company is fast gaining the reputation of being one of the worst companies.

Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
26 of 96

Thanks Garnon for your explanation on some points.

Still I'm a bit puzzled and confused... in your interesting webinars you teach us how to build an attractive profile, by adding the right information in the right place to catch the possible clients' eye... oDesk/Upwork keeps on repeating that a well-built profile can be decisive in terms of opportunities that may become real jobs.

But what if in my profile I have too many "no feedback given"? Does it still look like a profile of a reliable freelancer? Trying to put myself in my clients' shoes I can't really say that I would like to read "no feedback given" on one of my freelancers' profile. From my point of view such a statement is just too "neutral". What I mean is that even if no feedback was given, it doesn't necessarily mean that the freelancer did a bad job. And the speculation "no feedback given, but some payment has been done, so..." isn't immediate. At least you should make clear that the contract has been automatically ended by Upwork because the client was unresponsive.

I think you owe that to all the good freelancers working on here: it's basically their place. Freelancers keep on working here, while unresponsive clients maybe don't need Upwork services anymore, so they basically just don't care if you send them 1, 2, 3 ... 100 reminders before automatically close a contract.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
27 of 96

Only 2 questions:

1. Why weren't FREELANCERS informed that these fixed-price contracts would be automatically closed? It affects us 100 times more than it affects the clients!

2. Michael R says "I was in contact with the client this afternoon, and he told me there is no opportunity for feedback at the closed contract."

WHY wouldn't they be able to leave feedback within a 14-day period??? It makes no sense!

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
28 of 96

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

WHY wouldn't they be able to leave feedback within a 14-day period??? It makes no sense!

Well, by then they have already received two messages over a period of 14 days asking them to close and leave feedback.

Community Leader
Michael R Member Since: May 18, 2015
29 of 96

I spoke with two clients, and both were......surprised. They had no work on Upwork in the past two weeks or more, and when they received this mails, they did not opened them. Certainly many other clients thought, "when they close the contract, why should I do, who cares?".

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
30 of 96

@Michael R wrote:

I spoke with two clients, and both were......surprised. They had no work on Upwork in the past two weeks or more, and when they received this mails, they did not open[] them. Certainly many other clients thought, "when they close the contract, why should I do, who cares?".

Bingo! "They did not open them." And why should they? Whether contracts are left open intentionally or through negligence, why would clients think they need closure? How could they imagine Upwork cares? How could they divine that their response or lack thereof has any impact on their freelancer's livelihood? Why would they not see any communication at all from Upwork as irrelevant to the work done or remaining to be done—at best, trivia and at worst, spam?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS