cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Fixed Price contracts with no activity

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
41 of 96

Beth, no need to apologize at all, and were it not for the plethora of controversial changes that were introduced this year, there should be little reason for the average freelancer to spend much time in the forums, aside from curiosity or as a means to socialize. I've written a scary number of posts here, and while a majority probably were composed for the sake of levity or providing information or advice, a substantial portion dealt with discussion of controversial changes at Upwork.

42 of 96

Beth

You're very welcome here and please don't think anyone's criticising you (especially not John...) We're all in the same boat, and the saddest part is that the reason we're all drawn together is because we're all being forced to react to the carnage that's going on around us. It would be lovely if we could spend a lot more time in the "coffee break" section talking rubbish, but hey ho...

Community Guru
Beth T Member Since: Jan 18, 2015
43 of 96

@John & Stephen,

Thank you! I wasn't offended at all. I can see where it would be annoying for me to bring up a topic that had been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere or go off topic, but I'm glad that wasn't the case!

Pleased to meet you both. I expect you'll be seeing more of me for a while ... :/ LOL

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
44 of 96

The writing is on the wall.

I have no dormant fixed-price contracts. But on the very morning that this closing of old fixed-price action began, I sent polite messages to three paused HOURLY contract clients, asking them to close the contracts.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
45 of 96

@Preston H wrote:

I have no dormant fixed-price contracts. But on the very morning that this closing of old fixed-price action began, I sent polite messages to three paused HOURLY contract clients, asking them to close the contracts.

Why bother?  If Upwork follows the same procedure for idle hourly jobs, they'll be sending a couple messages themselves.  For a client that's gone AWOL, the end result is going to be the same ding to the freelancer for lack of feedback.

Intezar H Member Since: Dec 22, 2014
46 of 96

I received near about 10 notification from upwork. They closed 10 running contract due to no activity

Ok no problem

But real problem here in my profile

There is a very bad patch due to this action. Where is feedback script and rating star. If u visit my profile then u see a lot

‘No Feedback Given’

It’s very bad

Plz help me

Fabrice D Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
47 of 96

All the most experienced freelancers with a long work history are facing the same problem.

We all had the unpleasant surprise to see so many contracts closed in one day...

I suggested on another thread to display those closed contracts (by Upwork) with no feedback at the bottom of the work history and not at the top to limit the negative impact on our profiles.

I don't know if it is technically feasible but anyway I have received no answer so far.

Community Guru
48 of 96

re: "I suggested on another thread to display those closed contracts (by Upwork) with no feedback at the bottom of the work history and not at the top to limit the negative impact on our profiles."

Fabrice, yes, it is TECHNICALLY possible, but it is probably not going to happen because this is not what Upwork wants to do.

Learn from this and work harder to get contracts closed in the future once the work is done.

You may post messages in the community forum expressing your desires on this matter, but you may need to accept what has happened and realize your preference probably won't be implemented.

Most clients don't care about this as much as you think. (The bigger problem is the impact to your job score, and that will not be lessened by displaying the no feedback jobs at the bottom of your profile.)

Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
49 of 96

Preston wrote: Learn from this and work harder to get contracts closed in the future once the work is done.

If there is a panacea to this problem of long standing inactive contracts, I doubt that it is in our hands. Back in oDesk I tried a few times to get some clients end contracts, and that was because I feared the long list of Work In Progress would scare potential clients away, assuming I had too much on my plate already.

And I can assure you not every one of such clients responds. So you are left with the option of terminating the contract yourself. At what risk? Negative public feedback, no feedback at all, and worse still, negative private feedback. We need to remember that some clients are on Upwork as a side business, so sometimes your message is finding them in a totally different environment - and woe unto you if it happens to be a stressful one. I imagine sometimes they can't even recall what you did for them and they are wondering what's he/she bothering me about and I paid him/her as agreed?

Sometime this year, I sent a client a message asking why he'd given me such a low score despite his very positive and encouraging remarks all through. Guess what? He didn't even seem to understand the real weight of his feedback. He was prompt in replying and apologized, explaining that he had read my message while on a construction site (laughing is allowed, I also did!) and that when giving feedback, his finger had tapped the wrong place... I believed him. He changed his feedback score and I didn't care much that, even then, he didn't give me the 5 Stars that I felt I deserved.  

In short, the odds in this case seem to be against the freelancer.

Community Guru
50 of 96

Intezar, there is no "help" that anybody can provide you with. It is what it is.

You have jobs with no feedback.

Accept it. Many clients will not care about this. Write some great cover letters and work hard on answering job application questions, and you will get hired. Do a great job for your clients and make sure you ask them to flies the contract when the work is done, and then you will have feedback on your profile.

The only person who can actually help you with this situation is yourself.