cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Fixed Price contracts with no activity

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
81 of 96

If anything, I think it would make it worse. If you have a long list of contracts saying they're closed due to inactivity then that indicates to me as a client that your client management skill is not good.

Mikhail I Member Since: Jul 18, 2017
82 of 96

Greetings!

Recently I also received an Upwork Support notification message about one of my in-progress projects which has been considered as inactive for over 76 days.
Yes, there is only one milestone and there were no any payments yet (funds still in escrow). But actually, the work is in progress. It is a big project that requires more than 3 months to complete. I am in a great communication with a client and everything is OK with this project for both of us. It technically just needs more time. Both of us (me and my client) are ready to take some action to extend the project for some time more.
Is there any way to extend this period for more than 90 days?
What kind of action should be performed to make the project "active"?
Thanks!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
83 of 96

Mikhail,

If you and your client wish to keep the contract open, the client can use the opt-out link they received in the notification to do so. 

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Mikhail I Member Since: Jul 18, 2017
84 of 96

Valeria, thank you. Will try.

Himanshu T Member Since: Feb 8, 2015
85 of 96

Sir , I am not questioning and offending on this process but Don't You think that 90 Days time are too long for a freelancer to wait. It takes only 1 minute to client to give a negative ratting even he forget about the freelancer and the project in 90 days.
Do something like as Fiverr** has done for the clients, they made the navigation for the client to end the contract easy and simple.
And 30 Days time on the project to give feedback , if time extend more than 30 days the client is responsible for his absenty not the freelancers.
Sir , think about it if the freelancers stop working on Upwork then how will the Upwork earn the revenue, after all Upwork should have to consider the part of the freelancers too.

Thank You

Himanshu Tyagi

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
86 of 96

Hi Himanshu,

I can assure you clients can close contracts in a few easy steps on Upwork. The process and time frame discussed in this thread are related to automatically closing certain type of contract, which isn't an alternative for working with your client to close the contract or closing the contract yourself.

Himanshu T Member Since: Feb 8, 2015
87 of 96

Sir , I am sggestiung that a contract should be automatically ended with in 1 month of client's inactivity and then after this time period there should be no rights of a client to give rating and feedback to freelancer.
After all Upwork team should have to think from the prospective of the  frelancers.

Thank You

Ace Contributor
Flavio S Member Since: Nov 19, 2015
88 of 96

I think this is a great idea, and yes, plese let know us freelancer as well, not just clients.

Ace Contributor
Flavio S Member Since: Nov 19, 2015
89 of 96

Well, it WOULD be a great idea if it worked, but it doesn't.

I have many open contract which have been inactive and no payment recieved for 4 months, and they are still open, and Upwork does nothing about them. I don't want to close them on my own.

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 12.18.57 PM.png

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
90 of 96

Hi Flavio,

Currently, only fixed-price contracts with money funded in Escrow will be auto-closed after 90 days of inactivity. This is done to comply with Escrow regulations and you can find more information about it here.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS