cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming soon: our highly requested, fresh-off-the-presses approach to fixed-price jobs

Rosanne L Member Since: Feb 23, 2008
11 of 47
This feature is not bad. But the other features that oDesk rolled out is a total disservice to contractors. For example, why would the platform HIDE job applications if the algorithm deems that a particular contractor was "unsuitable"? Who decides who's suitable? That should be up to the client to decide whether they want to give a "newbie" a try, if they want someone cheap, or if they want someone with more experience.
Jacques A Member Since: Oct 19, 2013
12 of 47
awesome new feature Smiley Happy i can not wait till this is rolled out everywhere Smiley Happy i have never felt comfortable with the idea of upfront payments for many reasons. thanks oDesk Smiley Happy
Community Leader
Julie T Member Since: Sep 29, 2011
13 of 47
Why? 1. After working in the "real world" as a professional for 20+ years, I know how to run my business. All these o-desk tweaks are in essence taking away my ability to manage my work and cash flow here. 2. I ask for a nominal percentage of a project fee as a retainer for services, or as o-desk refers to it as a "upfront payment." Milestones, as this is set up, is going to lead to more negotiations and increases the possibility for scope creep. It is going to slow down projects. 3. This is going to be a cash flow nightmare. Client is happy...lets a project "autoaccept" after two weeks. This is not mentioned, but I assume there is still the seven day security period? So I get to carry the cost of the project for almost a month after completion? With my off site clients, I make payment terms with them upfront and I never wait more than week. 4. I am the same opinion about the auto hides, especially when there is no transparency to the freelancer.
Ioana R Member Since: Jan 24, 2011
14 of 47
Why not let people choose upfront or escrow? I like having the option of escrow but not at the expense of the upfront payment. If upfront goes away I suppose the first milestone will be often be created as a simple formality to get part of the money. Oh, you say the client specifies the first milestone and the amount funded? If the client makes the decision (instead of the contractor requiring a certain percentage upfront), that is not good for contractors.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
15 of 47
The client and freelancer should negotiate them together. I do like the idea of escrow, but I think this system, where the freelancer has no say, is turning the client/freelancer mutual relationship into a boss/employee relationship. Often, the freelancer has a better idea of the steps that need to be taken to do the job than the client does.
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
16 of 47
If they want to copy the Elance model, then the contractor should set the milestones as agreed like there. For all of my Elance clients, I set my own mile stones, and they have the option to accept or decline/change them, which I also have to approve/accept.
Partha R Member Since: Apr 4, 2013
17 of 47
Its a good decision of odesk. One of my client does not pay my $100 and he did not close the job. If this system will running it is very very good for the freelancer as well as bad for the bad freelancer. I have right to claim for may payment and Now I can proof that I have done the job well. Thanks Odesk.
Ace Contributor
Joe K Member Since: Sep 13, 2009
18 of 47
I agree I'm also concerned about "increases the possibility for scope creep". Because many do not defined the jobs very carefully. They don't define them because they really aren't sure of what they want. They know in general what they want, but not the details. Its going to be very difficult for Seo work, design work, and other subjective areas. But I applaud Odesk for trying something.
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
19 of 47
It's great that they finally add Escrow. They don't mention it, but I guess there is the ability to split it in several milestones, right? There is one detail in the graphic above that worries me. It seems to work as if the client had the right to ask for unlimited revisions. This will be fine at 99% of the cases, but there is the occasional 100th client that can make your life hell if you didn't set a maximum number of free-of-charge revisions.
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
20 of 47
Still looks like the client is going to get work for free. All he has to do is say it's not right. This is not escrow y'all.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS