cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming soon: our highly requested, fresh-off-the-presses approach to fixed-price jobs

Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
21 of 47
Escrow is far from flawless too. I would be perfectly fine with this system as long as I'm allowed to negotiate a maximum amount of free revisions.
Poonam S Member Since: Aug 11, 2011
22 of 47
Freelancer is still vulnerable in new system as he is in current system as - 1. Freelancer will get paid only after client approves work. 2. Client can demand unlimited revisions on work. If he is still not satisfied he will ultimately reject freelancers work and will not pay him. 3. Milestones should be set by both parties involved, not just the client. The only plus point seems to be that IF client is unresponsive the Freelancer can automatically get paid for work submitted.
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
23 of 47
So if the client makes the first milestone payment, is he still able to release that payment before the freelancer starts working?
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
24 of 47
Scope creep boom incoming. That's really not the way the "escrow"(ish) system should work. Instead of making the fixed price project more secure for both parties, you're favouring the client again. This leaves freelancers even less room to negotiate their own terms of payment and task scope.
Kunal M Member Since: Apr 2, 2010
25 of 47
It seems like day by day client is becoming king. I always take upfront because of my high reputation and amount of work i have done. Maximum client dint bother to send me upfront even if i demand 100% also. But now client have full right to exploit contractors, they will demand unnecessary changes if they want to scam contractor and eventually , they will say he/she is not satisfied. And contractor will get nothing. Only 1 plus point for contractor 14 day automatically released escrow amount.
Jose Paulo P Member Since: Mar 8, 2013
26 of 47
Please implement ASAP! xD Good thing oDesk figured out a way at last!
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
27 of 47
You better read that again.
Donna B Member Since: Feb 5, 2008
28 of 47
This will make doing fixed price work much easier to put work into a project without asking for an upfront % to cover some work time. What I have found with fixed price work - hidden agenda's from the client. I always have them list item by item what needs to be done and work off only that list and remind them of the list when they stray. I also break the amount they want to pay into estimated hours, I simply divide their dollar amount by my hourly on oDesk. I give them a limit on how many hours I will put into the job for the dollar amount and track my time. Everything is agreed on before accepting the contract.
Tracy M Member Since: Aug 28, 2013
29 of 47
As a contractor who was not paid for a job a couple of months back, despite numerous attempts to contact the client by myself, and oDesk, this is a great move in my opinion. All of my work is fixed rate, and it gives me a feeling of security to know that someone can't just disappear without paying for work.
Ace Contributor
Joe K Member Since: Sep 13, 2009
30 of 47
"and will look to roll it out more broadly over the next several weeks. " Any update?
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS