🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Communicating On and Outside of Upwork - Term...
Page options

Communicating On and Outside of Upwork - Terms of Service Changes

daryl_sando
Community Member

Today, Upwork users can, with certain exceptions, share contact information and communicate with each other outside of the Upwork platform. Unfortunately, communicating outside of Upwork raises risks for talent and clients in our community, while undermining the wellbeing of the marketplace. 

To protect our community, we are making changes to our Terms of Service that will require all pre-contract communications take place on Upwork and no contact information to be shared before a contract is started. These changes will become effective June 26, 2020. 

Here we would like to tell you about these changes so you can understand what they entail and why we are making them.  

WHY ARE WE MAKING THESE CHANGES?

The goal of these changes is to create a safe environment in which both talent and clients can thrive. We have found that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk in fraud, scam, circumvention, and other behaviors that harm our community. But when communications and work stay on the Upwork platform, not only can we track, verify, and address any issues that emerge, the potential for these behaviors to cause harm decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that take advantage of talent on Upwork do so by taking work or communications off the platform. 

When relationships are maintained on Upwork, those outcomes become part of the record on the platform, providing transparency for other users into the reputation and success of other professionals and talent. This transparency allows for better connections, stronger relationships, and ultimately more success for professionals and clients. 

WHAT ARE THE CHANGES?

These changes apply to Section 7 of the User Agreement:

1. Professionals and clients may not request or share any contact information before a contract is started

Before a contract has started, professionals and clients won’t be able to ask for or share contact information with each other that would allow them to make contact outside of Upwork. This includes requesting or providing contact details in a profile, job post, proposal, invite, or message, which is an expansion from the current restriction on contact information sharing that was limited to just profiles and job postings. 

Update: Freelancers and clients may not request or share any contact information* before a contract is started, with one exception.  A client or freelancer may only share contact information if it is for the sole purpose of giving the other party access to a system that allows them to scope the project in advance. This allows freelancers to review a project prior to a contract so they can determine if they have the needed skills, how many hours it will take, etc. 

This change also provides more clarity on what constitutes contact information, which will include but not be limited to: 

• Phone number
  • Email address
  • Physical address
  • Link to a contact form or form requesting contact information
  • Link to an applicant management system or means to submit a proposal or application outside of Upwork
  • Any information that would enable contact through social media, other website, platform, or application (i.e., Skype or WhatsApp IDs)

1. Users must conduct all pre-contract conversations (aka interviews) through the Upwork platform

As professionals and clients meet and engage on Upwork, they will need to maintain their communications - whether messages, phone, or video calls - through the Upwork platform until a contract has started. 

1. Exception

Our larger business partners often have specific requirements and business needs that make it more difficult to use our communications exclusively. Clients who utilize Upwork Business and Enterprise solutions are permitted to request and share contact information, as well as conduct interviews or pre-contract communications, outside of Upwork. This exception extends to professionals’ communications with an Upwork Business or Enterprise client. 

HOW ARE WE ENABLING THESE CHANGES?

To support these changes, we have also made improvements to our internal Message Center. We recently upgraded our call and video systems to provide more consistent uptime and a higher quality of service. These changes have provided improvements in user experience and overall user satisfaction. We have enhanced the user experience to provide more straightforward access to this service and flexibility in viewing. Lastly, we are continuing to prioritize improvements to the Message Center to ensure our users have a best in class experience in communicating with each other. Find out more about these upgrades here

Our goal: To keep the Upwork community safe

These changes will help keep Upwork’s marketplace somewhere for both professionals and clients to thrive while preventing breaches of trust that put the community at risk. If you have any questions, please comment below or contact Upwork Help.

The updated Terms of Service will become effective June 26, 2020.

Daryl Sando, Sr. Manager

Upwork Trust & Safety

**UPDATE**

We appreciate feedback shared on this thread about this upcoming change. We’d like to address and highlight a few concerns that came up multiple times on this thread.

• Many of you noted that you often need to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement prior to accepting an offer. We've heard your feedback and made the decision to make an exception regarding legal documents. If prior to starting a contract a legal document must be shared that includes contact informaton (such as NDAs), this will be permitted.

• We understand that many of you need to share large files with your freelancers and clients. Users are free to share files via Upwork Messages at any time. Documents can be added into Messages for sharing or you can use Upwork’s  integration with Dropbox to share files. If critical project information is stored in a system that requires an email address to access, you can share your email address for this purpose only. Remember all communications before a contract starts must take place on Upwork. 

• You can share a portfolio that’s not on Upwork. We know sharing your past work is important. Therefore, you can share links to external portfolios when you submit a proposal. Note: We understand external portfolios may include contact information. If you cannot remove that information, please ask the client to only contact you via Upwork.

• We understand that many of you need a way to schedule meetings and interviews via a calendar. Upwork Messages enables users to quickly coordinate interview timing and conduct live interviews using the call feature. We’re constantly looking at ways to improve this experience so we appreciate your feedback.

• We’d like to confirm that calls made through Upwork Messages are not recorded. We encourage users to report violations of any sections of our TOS including these changes. We also have mechanisms in place to identify and flag TOS violations
1,026 Comments
slgarratt
Community Member

Because there is nothing clients love more than being told they need to learn how to use an abrtirary screensharing system. So now I get to lose potential clients after paying to apply for freelance jobs.

Upwork is just daring its talent pool to leave at this point, right?

galya_mikova
Community Member

Hello,

I have a question (more of a concern actually) pertaining to the wording regarding "what constitutes contact information". You have enumerated various elements with 2 that raise the following issues:

1. Many times clients ask for verifiable proof of the contractor's experience, namely - publications/designs/completed projects on other platforms (be it LinkedIn, blogs or professional sites). Most writers, for example, contribute to several websites where they have a professional bio that links to their LinkedIn (and other social media accounts, if they use any). Under your new terms, giving links to such proof of the contractor's skillset/experience/visibility may constitute '
Any information that would enable contact through social media, other website, platform, or application (i.e., Skype or WhatsApp IDs)' and be penalized. But that would cost a lot of contractors the loss of potential work for failing to give clients 'proof of experience/visibility' outside of Upwork (which for some projects is crucial).

2. Many clients request a signed NDA prior to discussing project details or hiring the freelancer for that matter. All NDAs contain a field for a physical address. Again, under your updated terms, this would immediately put the freelancer in violation of said terms but, at the same time, cost them the job. 

How would the above conflicts be resolved to the benefit of everyone involved?

Thank you,

kbadeau
Community Member

Tiffany S wrote:

Kelly B wrote:

Really? It seems like they would start by not even let those spammy low budget people post jobs. I have to believe the decent earners like ourselves would have some value to them?

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. They started off talking about client relationships of more than $1,000 and then it was $5,000 and then it was large CONTRACTS rather than client relationships...

They're making Upwork less and less attractive for the small business clients many of us work with consistently, and it appears that they've cut back on advertising that would draw in those clients (though that bit is observational--I have no actual data). 

Think about the clients they're looking to draw in. Large companies that will be profitable for Upwork on an ongoing basis don't come looking for a highly skilled person to perform a specific job. They come looking for 500 people to answer phones, or 1,000 transcriptionists around the world. Sure, on occasion those companies might have a need for a specialized freelancer, but the bread and butter will be staffing-like arrangements, not seeking out a specialized skill set. 

If Upwork can move from having (fictional numbers for illustration) 20,000 clients hiring 100,000 freelancers to 750 clients hiring 100,000 freelancers, the profitability will skyrocket (even though freelancer pay rates will decline) because they'll only need staff to service 750 clients v. 20,000. And, those clients will be educated about how Upwork works and probably working with dedicated reps, and so the whole process will be much smoother.

Interesting. I guess the net of it is I have a month to figure out something else. But it still seems like it would not hurt them in the slightest to allow top rated freelancers with x amount of earnings to be exempt.

marafx
Community Member

Cool. I used the video and voice only chat of Upwork. Except for some minor issues like  answering and being able to synchronise ( hope such have been fixed) I had no problem.
Screen sharing maybe it's included? Not sure since I didn't used it.
I agree with this rule since it is fair to do the preliminary chat  like this.  

tlsanders
Community Member

@coutrepopcafe wrote:

Indeed. Why is everyone so touchy about this? Why wouldn't UW want to limit working outside the platform? I've been involved in negotiations where I made the introductions and was supposed to get a finder's fee, but was then cut out of the deal. It's not nice.

If you've read enough of the comments to know we're "touchy," then you know why--because Upwork has just made it impossible for many of us to negotiate a contract with a new client, and we will be unable to use the site moving forward. 

kbadeau
Community Member

Chris E wrote:

As someone who`s been "almost scammed" by a freelancer, I`m glad to see the changes. Luckily, I did everything on Upwork so I got a refund without any problems.

No offense but we were probably all "almost scammed" at least once and since your profile is no longer available I have to take your comment with a grain of salt. Which I will add to Jen's popcorn.

kcdermodywriter
Community Member

Good question, I'd like to know that too. I've had clients who can't even start a contract until an NDA Is signed. It really seems there are many issues with this that haven't been considered. 

aleksandrhovh
Community Member

Daryl S wrote:
Our goal: To keep the Upwork community safe

Translation: to make Upwork an even more restrictive platform than it already is for freelancers.

I've tried using your video conferencing tools in the past, and they've never worked. Both I and the clients would try joining the same call. We'd each see something to the effect of "no one else is in the room."

This is pathetic. Folks, start preparing your exit strategies in case you're banned from Upwork for a supposed violation of their ToS.

fazichris23
Community Member

So, a few weeks back you (UpWork) took away some reports that were available to us and made it so we had to have a Plus account in order to access them, making us pay more fees on top of the fees we pay for each contract. Now, this. 

According to your User Agreement, Section 7 is titled "Non-Circumvention"...Not Freelancer Safety. According to Section 7.2, I am not allowed in any way to provide information that could allow someone to search for me outside of UpWork. So, I can't give them my name? With just my name as shown on my profile, location, what I do, and my profile pic, all things I need in order to have a complete profile and/or maintain Top Rated status, I can locate myself on LinkedIn without any issues. Are you telling me that I would be in violation? If so, what is the solution for that? Also, if Section 7.3's outrageous and completely bogus terms didn't stop people from circumventing this, why do you think this will? 

Section 7.3: (first 2 paragraphs)

"You may opt out of the obligations in Section 7.1 with respect to each Upwork Relationship only if the Client or Freelancer pays Upwork a Conversion Fee which is a minimum of $1,000 USD and up to $50,000 USD for each Upwork Relationship.
You agree that the Conversion Fee is 12% of the estimated earnings over a twelve (12) month period, which is calculated by taking the Hourly Rate (defined below) and multiplying it by 2,080. “Hourly Rate” means the highest of (a) the highest hourly rate charged by the Freelancer on any Service Contract, if any; (b) the highest hourly rate proposed by the Freelancer in any proposal, if any; or (c) the hourly rate in the Freelancer’s profile."

Which, lets just talk about that fee for a second...12% of the potential contract earnings is not the same as my hourly rate X 2080. If I would have made $20K from that contract over 12 months, because it was capped at 5 hours/week, you would have received $2400. Not $50K (which is the max).
tlsanders
Community Member

Kelly B wrote:

Interesting. I guess the net of it is I have a month to figure out something else. But it still seems like it would not hurt them in the slightest to allow top rated freelancers with x amount of earnings to be exempt.

Agree. We're low maintenance and mostly free money for them at this point. But, perhaps the dollars we generate aren't sufficient for them to invest in implementing parallel systems.