cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
1581 of 1,666

I came to odd surprise today when I realized there are no free connects anymore. I've spent all my connects last month at once and got no job. Like, there were around 110 connects, and some job posts asked for six connects although they didn't worth that much. I had few  responses, as well, and now I'll take few hours later to see on what number of jobs did they hire anyone at all.

I have no intention whatsoever to buy connects this way or another when job applications are worthless. I'm not sure I even get visible when I apply. I've calculated that with $15 membership I pay about $10 for connects and $5 perks that are unimportant. Thanks, but no, thanks.

In a nutshell job posts can keep on being non serious (one sentence typed from mobile or long sheet of text copied and pasted across multiple freelance platforms) while our cover letters are supposed to be drafted for each job as if we are applying for traditional job. Nonsense.

I hope this scheme will help  you filter out weak freelancers. I'm just sad that might mean me. Anyway, I won't give up. Got to change my profile from scratch. I'll try to rely on my long term clients plus invitations due to good profile. Wish me luck.

JSS 95% and no job for long time. Wonder how others are doing. Smiley Happy

1582 of 1,666

Vesna M wrote:

I came to odd surprise today when I realized there are no free connects anymore. I've spent all my connects last month at once and got no job. Like, there were around 110 connects, and some job posts asked for six connects although they didn't worth that much. I had few  responses, as well, and now I'll take few hours later to see on what number of jobs did they hire anyone at all.

I have no intention whatsoever to buy connects this way or another when job applications are worthless. I'm not sure I even get visible when I apply. I've calculated that with $15 membership I pay about $10 for connects and $5 perks that are unimportant. Thanks, but no, thanks.

In a nutshell job posts can keep on being non serious (one sentence typed from mobile or long sheet of text copied and pasted across multiple freelance platforms) while our cover letters are supposed to be drafted for each job as if we are applying for traditional job. Nonsense.

I hope this scheme will help  you filter out weak freelancers. I'm just sad that might mean me. Anyway, I won't give up. Got to change my profile from scratch. I'll try to rely on my long term clients plus invitations due to good profile. Wish me luck.

JSS 95% and no job for long time. Wonder how others are doing. Smiley Happy

Vesna- you hit the nail on the head: "accountability" without transparency for freelancers, transparency and little accountability to clients, milk the freelancers for one-fifth of their earnings in most cases and then charge them just to apply for jobs, since apparently 20% isn't enough, on top of that.  The management of this company is disgraceful, their profits aren't the only way to measure how "good" a company is, but also how it treats its workers.  I'd also add that we're not really independent contractors, we are closer to employees since we have to follow so many specific rules and there is not much freedom or flexibility  (that's a whole other issue).  That is the Upwork philosophy for you: they don't care about freelancers and just use us for as much as we can get and treat us as interchangeable cogs.  I don't have the choice to just "move with my feet" because they are the only site with this kind of volume and client base.  There is no real other game in town.  I'm very fortunate that I came in during the early days of Upwork and established myself then, I can't imagine trying to establish myself on this platform form scratch today.

We can keep posting here, because everyone needs to know what the real deal is.  But without labor law changes and government intervention, it won't get better, it will only get worse.  I say this as someone who has been fairly successful and depends on this platform.  That doesn't mean I like how this company treats freelancers, or that I will be quiet about just because I am luckier and more successful than most. 

Shame on Upwork, get rid of connects fees and go (back?) to a flat 10% take for all contracts.  20% is just egregious and the connects fees are egregious icing on top of an egregious cake.

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
1583 of 1,666

Well, Brian, you just better hope that Upwork manages to stay in business.

Highlighted
Ayushi M Member Since: Feb 6, 2019
1584 of 1,666

Hi There

I am new to this site. Where exactly does one get 2 connects- required to do any job?

Regards

Ayushi

Ace Contributor
Leroy P Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
1585 of 1,666
All you have to do is register with the site as a freelancer and have a good profile and portfolio of work. You’ll get more than 2 connects automatically.
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
1586 of 1,666

Hi Ayushi,

You will need to chose one of our Basic or Plus membership plan. Please go to Settings > Membership & Connects and select a plan in order to be able to start bidding on projects. If you would like to read more details about our membership plans check out this Help Article. Thank you.

Untitled
diego s Member Since: Oct 20, 2016
1587 of 1,666

don't join this platform sucks. they are just bloodsuckers

Vacce J Member Since: Sep 4, 2019
1588 of 1,666

Not good with connects, i earn for example 20 dolars and i give it all for connects and starting from 0, can u plesase change the option with connects 

Md Mushfiqur R Member Since: Aug 21, 2019
1589 of 1,666

Hello,

This is Mushfiqur Rahman. Monthly 60 connects not adding my account. Please help me that issue.

Thanks 

Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
1590 of 1,666

Hi Md,

Thanks for reaching out to us. According to our new Connects policy, you'll need to purchase Connects in order to submit proposals. Connects are sold in the following bundles: 10 for $1.50, 20 for $3, 40 for $6, 60 for $9, 80 for $12. Purchasing Connects can vary based on your location, but all Upwork users will be able to purchase Connects with a credit card or prepaid card. Additionally, if you have a balance on Upwork you can use it to buy Connects.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS