cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects Change Rollout Update and Frequently Asked Questions

Mohammad R Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
11 of 2,351

This is how they give us thanks after taking 20% from us on our hard working.!!!

Jessica B Member Since: May 22, 2018
12 of 2,351
I am brand new to Upwork - I think it is immoral to charge people to bid for work. I joined yesterday and I've already spent £6.50 - not on. I will be looking at other sites today - this policy seems very crass, loves xxx
Ivan Xavier L Member Since: Jan 16, 2019
13 of 2,351

They are indeed unscrupulous, **Edited for Community Guidelines**.
If you have read the replies of their "gurus" and "administrators", you can't believe what you have read!
They are blatant that they rather **Edited for Community Guidelines** rather than charge their clients.

Amanda P Member Since: Dec 27, 2019
14 of 2,351

At least we know where the 20% fee, payment to your bank fee, connect fee and "fee" fees is going:

UpWork Third Quarter 2019 Financial Results

• Revenue​: Total revenue increased by 23% to $78.8 million compared to the third quarter of 2018, and marketplace revenue increased by 25% to $70.7 million compared to the third quarter of 2018 and represented 90% of total revenue for the third quarter of 2019.
  • Take Rate:​ Take rate, which we define as total revenue divided by GSV, was 14.7%, compared to 14.3% in the second quarter of 2019 and 14.3% in the third quarter of 2018.
  • Gross Profit/Gross Margin: Gross profit increased by 29% to $56.3 million compared to the third quarter of 2018, and gross margin was 71%, up from 68% in the third quarter of 2018.
  • Net Loss:​ Net loss was $(2.8) million, or $(0.03) per share, compared to a net loss of $(7.3) million, or $(0.20) per share, in the third quarter of 2018.  Non-GAAP net income was $1.8 million, or $0.02 per share, compared to non-GAAP net loss of $(1.4) million, or $(0.04) per share, in the third quarter of 2018.
  • Adjusted EBITDA: Adjusted EBITDA was $2.7 million compared to negative adjusted EBITDA of $(0.1) million in the third quarter of 2018.

Disgusting.

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
15 of 2,351

What is disgusting, Amanda? The fact that Upwork is losing money?

Lilit P Member Since: Dec 14, 2019
16 of 2,351
Hi, I paid at first 9usd then 1,5 usd for connection but haven`t received it yet.
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
17 of 2,351

Hi Lilit,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
18 of 2,351

Lena E wrote:

Clients often post $5 jobs because they aren’t sure about the budget. How does Connects pricing work for these types of jobs?

At times, jobs might require fewer Connects because the client listed a smaller budget by mistake or because they were unsure of the budget. We are looking at ways to more accurately set the Connects needed to submit a proposal to job posts like these (where the client might indicate an incorrect budget or project length). We also recommend carefully reading the entire project description to see if the client shared more information there, rather than determining the value of a job based on the Connects needed.  

How do you calculate the Connects price for an hourly job?

When a client posts an hourly job they select an experience level, time requirement and job duration. We use these to estimate the projected budget. If any of these details are not specified in the job post, we use the other info provided to determine the Connects price.

Why are you telling us to check project descriptions to determine the value of jobs? It is not our responsibility to decide how many Connects are required for jobs.

Regarding using "other info" to determine the value of hourly jobs—how will that be done and what is the "other info"? It seems like it will require a human being to read all new job posts.

Community Leader
Debora F Member Since: Nov 3, 2010
19 of 2,351

Hello,

According to the changes coming soon, we have to pay for applying and sending a proposal. 

As I'm specialized in specific topics, in specific fields of expertice, I'd like, and I ask Upwork to check/ ask clients to post detailed jobs. Is not enough to ask for "writers" or "translators", because I can´t apply if I don´t know the topic. 

I completed my specialized Profiles, and my Profile is clear about my Profession and skills but most of the clients don´t check it. Some of them just ask "freelancers with the lower rates". 

So, please, add an item about "topic" or "field" required.

I understand that Upwork´s interest is getting a lot of proposals (if we pay for them) but sometimes we can´t apply if we don´t know what the clients needs.

Thank you

Débora F.  

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
20 of 2,351

Thank you for your feedback, Débora.

Actually, with this change we expect freelancers will submit fewer proposals, making it easier for clients to identify high-quality talent and increasing the chances for talented freelancers to get hired.

We know clients at times do not provide accurate or full information in their job posts, for a variety of reasons. We do provide clients with tips to create complete, accurate job posts and will continue to look at ways to make sure freelancers have the information they need to evaluate a job post, vet a client and decide whether it is worth using Connects to submit a proposal.

Note, I've moved your post to the thread dedicated to this change so we can better address questions and feedback about it.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS