Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects Change Rollout Update and Frequently Asked Questions

Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
41 of 2,351

Nichola L wrote:

Faizan N wrote:

This is pure greed madam. Im new i have tried consumed my all connects just to get my first project. If you wanted " freelancers to submit fewer proposals" you could have decreased the free connects but instead instantly i saw you have to pay or even if you have to pay for connects you could have set price and give the same connects as free if i buy 10 give me 10 free.

Why i have to pay for getting nothing or even just for trying why dont charge clients this is clearly greed ill try alternates now.

It's a business and businesses are, force majeure, greedy. They want to make money and as far as I know, that is not a crime.

Upwork is not a charity. If you don't like it, spend your money somewhere else. Upwork cannot prevent "freelancers" from behaving like addicted gamblers, who pay for chips and  chuck them down profligately in the hopes of hitting the jackpot. And in a way it is a gamble.There are millions of signed-up freelancers after well under a million jobs offered. So, you have to know how to play the game; keep the cards close to your chest and don't overspend. 

What a copout.  **Edited for Community Guidelines** Any organization can always improve and treat the people who depend on it better.  The idea that the proper response to any criticism is "It's a business and all that matters is the bottom-line" is inane **Edited for Community Guidelines**  Yes, Upwork is a business that intends to make money.  That hardly justified any and any act.  Again, attacking the freelancers with legitimate complaints is not a good look...

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
42 of 2,351

Brian F wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Faizan N wrote:

This is pure greed madam. Im new i have tried consumed my all connects just to get my first project. If you wanted " freelancers to submit fewer proposals" you could have decreased the free connects but instead instantly i saw you have to pay or even if you have to pay for connects you could have set price and give the same connects as free if i buy 10 give me 10 free.

Why i have to pay for getting nothing or even just for trying why dont charge clients this is clearly greed ill try alternates now.

It's a business and businesses are, force majeure, greedy. They want to make money and as far as I know, that is not a crime.

Upwork is not a charity. If you don't like it, spend your money somewhere else. Upwork cannot prevent "freelancers" from behaving like addicted gamblers, who pay for chips and  chuck them down profligately in the hopes of hitting the jackpot. And in a way it is a gamble.There are millions of signed-up freelancers after well under a million jobs offered. So, you have to know how to play the game; keep the cards close to your chest and don't overspend. 

What a copout.  **Edited for Community Guidelines**.  Any organization can always improve and treat the people who depend on it better.  The idea that the proper response to any criticism is "It's a business and all that matters is the bottom-line" is inane **Edited for Community Guidelines**  Yes, Upwork is a business that intends to make money.  That hardly justified any and any act.  Again, attacking the freelancers with legitimate complaints is not a good look...

I wasn't attacking anyone - unlike you. You have signed up for this "extremist libertarian capitalism"  -  and you are (now) doing well on it. So if you feel so strongly about the poor underlings, I suggest you put your money where your mouth is. 

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
43 of 2,351

So, Brian, what would you recommend that Upwork do to stop losing money?

Zakarias F Member Since: Dec 4, 2018
44 of 2,351

Hi.

I am running out of connects and was wondering exactly when you think the new connect system will implement for ME. (I created my account three days ago).

My wondering is, if I should buy Freelancer Plus membership now and buy connects 1dollar/connect or wait until they are 0.15 each.

Regards.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
45 of 2,351

Hi Zakarias,

Unfortunately, we can't share a specific date when your account is moved to paid connects but you will receive an email reminder about one week before this takes place. You’ll also see a pop-up notification in your Upwork account once your account is moved to paid Connects.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Zakarias F Member Since: Dec 4, 2018
46 of 2,351

Oh ok. I was worried there was something wrong with my account because it said that the new system started in the end of April, I created my account three days ago, which is may, therefore it would have been implemented for me but it is not.

ONE MORE QUESTION: Just to clarify, I will not need the premium version of Upwork to buy connects right?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
47 of 2,351

No, Zakarias, you will not need to upgrade to Freelancer Plus Membership to purchase connects.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Pothi K Member Since: Mar 6, 2008
48 of 2,351

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Zakarias,

Unfortunately, we can't share a specific date when your account is moved to paid connects but you will receive an email reminder about one week before this takes place. You’ll also see a pop-up notification in your Upwork account once your account is moved to paid Connects.

Hello,

I received the email last week and my account was supposed to move to paid connects on May 20, 2019. Today is May 21, 2019 (as per GMT timezone). Still, no pop-up notification on the migration. I wonder if it is getting delayed further?

Is there anyone whose account is moved to the new connects system?

Pothi
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
49 of 2,351

Hi Pothi, 

I would like to clarify that the email you received was only a reminder about the launch date of the paid connects. We anticipate paid Connects will be in place for all freelancers by the end of June.  Because this is a big change, we’re rolling it out over several weeks to help ensure a smooth transition. You’ll also see a pop-up notification in your Upwork account once your account is moved to paid Connects.

I hope this clarifies things, and let us know if you have further questions. 

-Avery
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Pothi K Member Since: Mar 6, 2008
50 of 2,351
Got it. Thanks for clarifying.
Pothi
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS