Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects Change Rollout Update and Frequently Asked Questions

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
81 of 4,314

Hi Anna,

You can click on the menu button at the top of this thread and click "Subscribe" if you'd like to receive notifications about new posts:

Screenshot_2.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nikolaos D Member Since: May 4, 2016
82 of 4,314

The cost of doing business here, keeps getting higher. The competition is still high and probably won't change with this policy. People will still bid, except it won't be free now.

Also, this will be a huge increase of doing business, a cost freelancers will pay. It might not seem big to pay 0.15$, or 0.60$ but it adds up, drastically.

And let's make an example. I am not counting VAT fees. A 50$ job is published. Before, the fees were 20% (if you hadn't reached 500$ with the client) + 2.5% (for the client). 50*0.225=11.25$. Even if you had the 10% fee, 50*0.125=6.25$. Now let's say 20 people bid, 2 connects each: 20*2*0.15=6$. 53.33% or 96% increase in fees!!

Another example for a 500$ job. 500*0.225=112.5$ (for 20% fee) or 50*0.125=62.5$ (for 10% fee). Let's assume 50 freelancers bid, 4 connects each: 50*4*0.15=30$

26.66% or 48% increase in fees!! Or let's say only 10 people bid. 10*4*0.15=6$ even with such a low assumption it's still a 5.33% increase.

Last thing, I was execting to see something beneficiary, something to counterbalance this policy. If Upworks charges more, therefore it needs to provide more, and so far it doesn't.

This is so wrong.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Anna L Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
83 of 4,314

Yeah, actually thу 96% gross scenario is just ridiculous and horrifying at the same time. I don't think this is a viable model though. Not for freelance business, where most of the customers have small tasks and are looking for a place to get the work done for lower rates.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
84 of 4,314

Well, it's here.
And from what I see, the explanations are still as inconsistent as at the beginning.
The main concerns still have no specific answer.
Everything is based on "we'll see how ...", "we are looking for the form ...", "we will use other parameters (what fear!) ..."
We will have to wait to hear from the first ones who postulate work with this new method.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Pothi K Member Since: Mar 6, 2008
85 of 4,314
This is going to be interesting after about a month of implementation, or specifically after all free connects are expired. Low quality jobs would attract zero high quality talent. High quality jobs would attract high number of bids from all types of talent.
Pothi
Highlighted
Razvan N Member Since: Apr 3, 2019
86 of 4,314

Pothi K. wrote:
This is going to be interesting after about a month of implementation, or specifically after all free connects are expired. Low quality jobs would attract zero high quality talent. High quality jobs would attract high number of bids from all types of talent.

Exactly, there are a lot of clients with good reviews and interesting job posts, but their hire rate is below 60% while they have 50+ jobs posted, and despite that, they still get 20+ proposals, at the moment!

I believe that once this rolls out very few people will dare waste their Connects. And personally, I will no longer apply to any job where the client's hire rate is below 80%.

And this part is also confusing: "If a client doesn’t hire and closes their job post, any Connects used to submit a proposal will be returned to you. However, if they do not close the job, no Connects will be returned."

I have jobs that expired without any hires and no Connects were refunded. I understand the outreach initiative, and that, for whatever reason, you decided that a job should expire after 30 days, why not 3 weeks? Anyway, if a job expires, it is technically closed! A client can re-open it just fine, regardless if it expired or was closed manually. So why not refund Connects for that? It makes no sense.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
87 of 4,314

Razvan N wrote:

And this part is also confusing: "If a client doesn’t hire and closes their job post, any Connects used to submit a proposal will be returned to you. However, if they do not close the job, no Connects will be returned."

I find it crystal clear and they have not changed anything here, it's always been done that way. If the client closes the job, either after having hired or not, you get your connect back. If they don't close the job, you get squat back.

Additionally, you get the connects back when it is Upwork who closes the job in the case of a violation of the terms of service.

The whole idea is to limit applicants, thus the connects system and thus the fact that connects are almost never returned. If they were, it would kinda defeat the purpose of having them.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Razvan N Member Since: Apr 3, 2019
88 of 4,314

That's not the point. They may have a different name and database flag, and correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell an expired job has the same limitations as a closed one, for both clients and freelancers. Closing a job requires user input (e.g. maybe the client wasn't happy with the applicants), and in that case it would actually make more sense to not give refunds, while the only "reagent" for an expired job is a client that doesn't care.

Rene K wrote:

The whole idea is to limit applicants, thus the connects system and thus the fact that connects are almost never returned. If they were, it would kinda defeat the purpose of having them.

If that is true, then you find it perfectly fine that Upwork is currently enforcing this idea by leaving our (soon) paid Connects at the client's discretion, or better yet, their indifference?

Should we be thankful if our submitted proposals land in the hands of a select few, responsible clients, that actually close their job posts when they no longer need to hire rather than letting them expire?

Anyway, I don't think Upwork cares about any feedback of this sort, so I'll stop here.

Highlighted
Krisztian C Member Since: Oct 26, 2018
89 of 4,314

I am thinking about to stop, too. I would not like to pay for bidding and pay 20% + VAT commission for them. Digitalpoint was much cheaper earlier on.

Highlighted
Chirag S Member Since: May 29, 2019
90 of 4,314

Why you wont buy connects.I am client at upwork and i am happy its paid connect since it overwhelms the amount of jobs applications we get.You can try other platforms but there is no point simply because there is no platform other than upwork.You can try fiverr which is kind of cheap prices.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS