Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects and Memberships Live

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
61 of 207

well, yes and...no

because new people sign in every day, there will always be someone with 60 connects ;-)

and after initial "shopping spree", people will be careful about spending their connects.

When I started on Elance, I spent my free 40 connects within one week, lol. Then I signed up for the basic plan and started filtering RFPs. Now, I have more than 100 unused connects and I will have to start spending them

Community Leader
Chad R Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
62 of 207

@Sanja D wrote:

well, yes and...no

because new people sign in every day, there will always be someone with 60 connects ;-)

I didn't think about this.  I wonder if oDesk factored this into their calculations.  They miss so much it's amazing. 

Does anyone know the rate at which new people sign on to the site?

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
63 of 207

Hi Vladislav,

If there's a balance in your oDesk account, you can pay for your membership that way. Unfortunately, PayPal is not available in some countries and as a result, you'll need to enter a credit card number. I'm going to check with someone on our team so they can follow up with you directly. 

Ace Contributor
Vladislav M Member Since: Feb 11, 2015
64 of 207

Hi Garnor

Thanks. Well, of course i always have more than enough to cover membership fees in oDesk acc, but I'm okay with any "backup" payment method, EXCEPT the credit card. 

Regards,

Vlad

Ace Contributor
Charles C Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
65 of 207

Hi Vladislav,

I am not sure about the banks where you live, however most banks here in the US offer the ability to get a prepaid card attached to a seperate account from your main account, that you can fund with whatever you want. I use one of these cards for my online purchases that do not accept paypal. That way if something goes wrong there is no money in the account for people to steal, I just fund it when I need to use it for something. It is not something they advertise, I talked to my personal banker about it and she hooked me up.

Regards

Ace Contributor
Vladislav M Member Since: Feb 11, 2015
66 of 207

Banks here also allow to create prepaid cards. But... it's an extra hassle and loss of time. I'm working 14-18hrs daily via oDesk. I simply don't have time to go to the nearest branch, cause they are working 09am-4pm...  And I will NEVER need to use that card Smiley Happy I always have quite a good balance on my oDesk acc. 

I also don't want to expose any of my current credit cards @ internet, cause lowest class one i have is visa signature with quite a good limit....

Liu L Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
67 of 207

Here are the one of explanation for new connection system.

"Will oDesk still auto-hide applications? Do I get my Connects back if my application is auto-hidden?

Freelancers may still be hidden even if they used Connects to apply. The Connects budget is designed to dissuade freelancers from applying to jobs for which they are not qualified. If you are not a good fit and still apply, you risk losing Connects over a hidden application."

Question - How can I know my application will be auto-hidden or not? If there is no way, I can be lose the connections easily.

Ace Contributor
Muhammad S Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
68 of 207

This connect system is totally wrong.. I think that initially bidding system was very helpful.

By this way, when a top rating client will post job, but maximum candidate will not appy upon his job because they will think that they will waste their one connect... In this way that top rated client at odesk will hire to lose experience person and at the end he will suffer in loss and angry to odesk.

So in my point of view, Odesk should remove this full system and keep the previous system.

If Odesk keep this system then it is tough for odesk to increase member at it...

Hope to you would get understand.

Thank You.

Regards,

Muhammad Sajjad.

Ayoub R Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
69 of 207

Hi,

Odesk earn lot of money while we work through it and you are looking for more and more, by this program i'm sure that you will lose many contractors and many contract because people will look to work out of odesk as he is blocked with 60 connect per month.

That's my opinion and i hope you good luck.

Kind regards

Ayoub

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
70 of 207

Hi Ayoub,

We are making this change as part of our overall efforts to improve the quality of the marketplace and provide freelancers with more opportunities. With the new system, you’ll be competing against a smaller and more relevant pool of applicants, increasing your chances of getting hired when you’re the best fit. Membership and Connects will help improve the quality of the hiring experience for both freelancers and clients.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS