cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects and Memberships Live

Ace Contributor
MG Arfath A Member Since: Jul 17, 2010
71 of 207

I sincerely hope oDesk will remove this connect feature, I applied to 2 or 3 jobs today and  for each job i'm gonna need 2 connects, this is really unfair oDesk, you were the only marketplace where the freelancers weren't charged for each and everything, please return back to the old system of weekly qouta or increase the connect limits.

I have already started searching for other job options / sites on internet :-(

I hope the support staff is reading this post.

Thanks again.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
72 of 207

Hi Arfath,

We hear the Community and we are listening to the feedback. The changes that we're introducing are designed to make it easier for you to win jobs. We've done our research and found that, at the moment, on average it takes freelancers (even new ones) much fewer than 30 applications to win a job. With a lower quota, everyone will be more selective about applying to fewer, better-fit jobs, so you’ll have less competition when you apply, increasing your chances of standing out when you’re a great fit. Ultimately, we think you’ll have more success with fewer applications.

Ace Contributor
73 of 207

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the reply,

I can understand the points that you have mentioned in the reply but still I think that this limited connects feature makes it difficult for the freelancers to win more jobs, I work on oDesk mostly because it cares for its freelancers and has had a great system of hiring and applying to jobs until now.

I have a couple of  suggestions:

Instead of limiting connects why not increase the oDesk Fee from 10% to 12% on whatever the freelancer earns and remove this 60 connect system, I don't think freelancers will mind paying extra money (2%) if they win lots of project rather than pay money just to buy connects for which there is no guarantee that they will be hired or not, makes sense !!

OR 

Increase the connect limit to atleast 100 / month and if we withdraw the connect, we retain the connect we had withdrawn within 24 hrs. just like the old system plus make it 1 job with a budget under $1000 requires only 1 connect to apply.

I will have to make it clear again this present system of connects is not encouraging I expect some drastic changes made to it or revert back to the old system, please make this more freelancer friendly.

Thank you

Arfath

74 of 207

Hi Arfath,

Thanks for the suggestions, we do appreciate your feedback.

We’re introducing the Connects system because we believe it will help freelancers connect with clients more successfully. We expect the Connects system will make it so that applications that aren't as relevant for a job are much less frequent. 

With this change, clients will see fewer applications on their job posts allowing good freelancers like yourself to stand out even further on those jobs you apply for. Clients will be finding you easier, hiring you more often and you'll be earning more.

Ace Contributor
75 of 207

Hi Vladimir,

You are welcome!

The ground reality here is an average freelancer needs to bid on atleast 20 to 30 jobs to get hired for one job, major reason for this is not becuase of many freelancers bidding on the same project, but a number of clients are non-responsive, some of them leave the freelancers hanging after taking interview and give no response or reply. some of them don't even bother to cancel the project and just leave it like that, some of them hire a freelancer and still keep the job open. we lose atlteast 10 job applications like that each week.

Alteast give us a choice to retain the connects  we withdraw within 24hrs, if we see the client as non-responsive.

Clients are pretty smart people they know how to distinguish between good and bad freelancers even from a list of 100 applicants, again I would like to request please stop this present system of connects and give us freedom to bid on as many projects as we want without paying extra money. 

Thanks

Velimir V Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
76 of 207

After calculation how much I need to spend on connects to get the same amount of work I conclude that Odesk isn't profitabile for me anymore.

Anayat Ur R Member Since: Oct 16, 2011
77 of 207

oDesk is commercial probably more commercial website. They know that client will hire people at any cost. If some contractors don't apply to some some jobs just to save their conncections the client again will hire among those who have applied to the job. So, oDesk earning is confirm. Some people will switch to upgrade membership this is their additional income. Some will buy connections it is also thier income. So, the new system means income, income, income and income of oDesk and simply rediculus and unfair for contractors.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.
78 of 207

Hi Anayat,

I'm not sure that clients will hire at any cost, and we’ve heard from clients that they can be overwhelmed with the volume of low quality applications that can appear on their job posts. They’re more likely to hire if they see fewer, high quality applicants. With a lower quota, everyone will be more selective about applying to fewer, better-fit jobs. We want clients to more easily find you. We want clients to better hire you.

Vanessa P Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
79 of 207

I currently do not apply to any jobs. I think 60 connects is enough, since i'm very picky.

I'm not really sure, but the way i understood it. I only need 2 connects to apply right?

Or there are times that I would need more than 2 connects?

Are there any other perks that I could get, if i upgrade my membership?

80 of 207

Hi Vanessa,

Yes, there are benefits if you upgrade to our Freelancer Plus Membership plan. You can read more about the Plus Membership plan here.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS