cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects and Memberships Live

Vanessa P Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
81 of 207

I mean aside from being able to view competitors bid and have additional connects that rollovers.

What other benefits will I get if I decided to have a Paid Membership?

Or Paid Membership is just for active users, meaning active in applying for a job?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
82 of 207

Hi Vanessa,

Thank you for posting this question. Yes, we do plan to add more benefits to the Freelancer Plus plan. Stay tuned.

All users can upgrade to the Plus Membership, and there are no limitations or activity requirements.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
83 of 207

Vladimir wrote,

With the new system, you’ll be competing against a smaller and more relevant pool of applicants, increasing your chances of getting hired when you’re the best fit.

To begin with, it's debatable your chances will increase that much, since a knowledgeable client would narrow down his choices to the relevant applicants anyway, regardless of connects. I concede it might improve your chances with the sort of client who automatically picks the applicant with the lowest rate or bid.

But even if your chances are significantly improved, what matters overall is not just the odds, but the odds in combination with the number of applications. Just to illlustrate the point, suppose without connects it took 100 applications to get 10 jobs, and with connects, 30 applications to get 6 jobs. Your chances increased from 1 in 10 to 1 in 5, which is great, except you got hired 4 less times.

84 of 207

Ok please don't add more benefits for premium members, that will just be unfair. Although I am a top rated freelancer and I will eventually get into (freelancer plus ) premium membership and this system is bad as it is. Don't make changes and give more and more benefits to the premium members. You will surely lose more and more new freelancers and with that clients.

Also 2 connects for every job, that is not fair. I thought there will be something like if a job is less then 100$ then 1 connect, 200 2 connect. You didn't announce that every standard job will be 2 connects and it seems 1 connect will be useless, so for standard member 30 jobs applications a month at best. It's a complete mess. 

Unverified and new clients  who post a job those jobs should not cost any connect! That is fair because most of the times they are just testing and leaving, spamming or advertising. Yes, I report every last one of them. And if they hire and pay then you can take required connects.

85 of 207

Hi Danilo,

At the outset, most jobs are going to require 2 Connects. In the future, applications will require anywhere from 1 to 5 Connects, depending on factors such as the size and type of job.

Anayat Ur R Member Since: Oct 16, 2011
86 of 207

Since the very begining I am following this case i.e. Connects and Memberships oDesk is trying to justify their decision but completely failed. More than 80% freelancers are not happy with this system but they still stuck to their decision. I don't know why.........? The one reason I found is...............Profitable for oDesk.  

Very baseless argument that we are doing so in order to bring quality. Can they tell us that what was before this system? If they can confirm that there was no quality before this system then the new system is justifiable otherwise it's a forceful decision.

Now they will earn from:

1. Contract between client and contractor..........As usual

2. Membership Fee................................................Additional Income

3. Selling Connections..........................................Additional Income

The 60 connects are not enough for average freelancer to find a job so he will ultimately go for membership plan to apply for job.

So, you can decide new system is profitable for whome? For freelancer or oDesk?

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.
Neeraj D Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
87 of 207
Please add a also plan for freelancer. Freelancer can unlimited job apply you can fixed a amount for this. This is very easy way for finding job. last way was very good (I like this site comparison other site) I am waiting your reply Thank you for help
Ivan D Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
88 of 207

The connects is one of the few things that I don't like in Elance. And that was one of the reasons to prefer Odesk. Now the connects came here! I hope that is the first and the last bad practice that came from Elance!

Cedris M Member Since: Nov 30, 2014
89 of 207

@Garnor M

I think this policy is unfair to agencies. I would agree about the connects for freelancers and even though I am not with it, I am not totally against it. But asking agencies to have a premium before their team mates can start working is nuts! I mean isn't the %10 fee enough for odesk to let agencies apply in behalf of their contractors? What if I have a existing contract, which demands an increased number of manpower just now, when the connects got implemented, isn't it devastating that the agency is required to pay first before they can provide service to the client?

Sorry but asking for a premium to agencies doesn't make sense to me.

90 of 207

Hi Cedris,

The Agency Plus plan is designed to help our largest and most professional agencies stand apart from other freelancers and single-person agencies. With more Connects, the ability to purchase and roll over Connects, and visibility into what others are bidding, you’ll have a competitive advantage. Eventually, we plan to introduce more benefits to Agency Plus members, including potentially offering additional access to jobs that are best fit for multi-person agencies.

Agencies who are less active or do not have large teams still have a free option.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS