Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dial-in Numbers Now Available in Messages

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 6

You can now initiate or join a call in Messages by using a dial-in phone number. These dial-in numbers will be helpful for users with internet connectivity issues or other issues that prevent them from making calls from the platform, by giving them an option to use their phones.

How it works:

• Open the dial-in page by clicking "dial in by phone". This is found in the room header, in the incoming/missed/ended status messages, or in call settings.
  • Choose the most suitable dial-in number for your location.
  • Dial the number and enter the pin code.
  • Your call will be joined/started in the selected room.

To keep your information private, the user's phone number will not be shown to the call participants.

The feature is available for all Upwork users. Numbers are available from the following countries.The current list of countries as of today are: USA, Finland, Netherlands, Kenya, Canada, Cayman Islands, Iceland, UK, Indonesia, Philippines, Czech Republic, Serbia, Belgium, Thailand, Israel, Uganda, Puerto Rico.

If your country is not on the list, you can still use other numbers from the list.

Screenshot from July 17, 2020 5_22 PM.png

Screenshot from July 17, 2020 5_222 PM (1).png

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
2 of 6

Great. You should also come up with a way to sign NDAs, such that the full NDA with contact info is visible to the other party only after a contract has started.

Tough one, but it's the Pandora's box you opened.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Vijayvithal J Member Since: Oct 24, 2017
3 of 6

I noticed the dial in feature today while trying unsuccessfully to talk with a client via upwork messenger.
Regretfully you do not have India in the list of supported countries... International calls are still expensive.

I believe that a significant number of Upwork'ers are from India. Can you add support for Dial in from India.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 6

Hi Vijayvithal,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced with using the Call feature. Our team will reach out to you directly via a support ticket soon to help troubleshoot and identify the core issue. In the meantime, please check the tips shared in this Help article in case the issues you experienced are related to permissions issue with your camera and microphone settings.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Shannon P Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
5 of 6

Great, glad this is an option now. 

Will both the client and the freelancer need to use the phone call feature, or can one use their computer and the other use their phone? How does it work if one person needs to dial in and the other use their computer? For example, if a client calls me from their computer, but I have to dial in, will the call just hang up for them if it takes me more than 10 seconds to dial in? Will I need to dial in and then tell them to call back?

Also, will this dial-in feature allow multiple people on the call?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 6

Hi Shannon,

Shannon P wrote: 

Will both the client and the freelancer need to use the phone call feature, or can one use their computer and the other use their phone? 

This is a great question! One user is able to join the call from a computer while another joins via the dial-in option. I'd like to note that users joining by phone won't be able to see the ongoing call screen view with call participants, share screen and other options, because they are just calling the number and it's an audio phone call.

How does it work if one person needs to dial in and the other use their computer? For example, if a client calls me from their computer, but I have to dial in, will the call just hang up for them if it takes me more than 10 seconds to dial in?

When users dial the number and enter the pin code, we'll check if there's an ongoing call in the room that matches this pin code and if there is, we're connecting the user to this call. If there's no ongoing call, we'll create a new call and other room members will receive an incoming call prompt.

Also, will this dial-in feature allow multiple people on the call?

Yes, there's no limit to how many room members can join the call.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS