cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial-in Numbers Now Available in Messages

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
11 of 24

Request: Can Upwork please add a setting so that freelancers can choose whether or not they want to be able to receive calls? Recently an Upwork client (not my client) just started calling me out of the blue without scheduling the call or even a message to ask if she could call. I found it very intrusive. 

I know it's simple enough to ignore/decline the call, but I would rather have the option to not let clients call whenever they want, especially those who haven't hired me and who haven't even notified me that they will call.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
12 of 24

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Request: Can Upwork please add a setting so that freelancers can choose whether or not they want to be able to receive calls? Recently an Upwork client (not my client) just started calling me out of the blue without scheduling the call or even a message to ask if she could call. I found it very intrusive. 

I know it's simple enough to ignore/decline the call, but I would rather have the option to not let clients call whenever they want, especially those who haven't hired me and who haven't even notified me that they will call.

How does that even work - why was that person able to call you in the first place?

Is that because you have a verified phone number?

Is that visble to any potential client?

Thanks.

Community Guru
13 of 24

Ela K wrote:

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

How does that even work - why was that person able to call you in the first place?

Is that because you have a verified phone number?

Is that visble to any potential client?

Thanks.

I do have a verified phone number but as far as I know, that's just for identity verification purposes and clients shouldn't be able to see it. So from what I remember, this lady invited me to apply to her job. I replied and addressed her by her name (the one that was given with the job post), and it turned out to be a different woman messaging me. Before I had a chance to reply to one of her questions, she just started voice calling me via Upwork, which I ignored.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
14 of 24

Hi Isabelle Anne,

Could you please confirm if a prospective client was able to initiate a call within Messages without you having submitted a proposal to their job or have they contacted you directly on your verified phone number and then initiated a call in Messages? Both of these scenarios aren't possible to transpire on Upwork and I'd like to look into the experience you reported further. Could you please pm me the message room link and other relevant details, so I could take a look and follow up with an update?

Community Guru
15 of 24

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Isabelle Anne,

Could you please confirm if a prospective client was able to initiate a call within Messages without you having submitted a proposal to their job or have they contacted you directly on your verified phone number and then initiated a call in Messages? Both of these scenarios aren't possible to transpire on Upwork and I'd like to look into the experience you reported further. Could you please pm me the message room link and other relevant details, so I could take a look and follow up with an update?

To clarify, they did not contact me directly on my phone -- they initiated a call through UW Messages.

As mentioned to Ela, I didn't submit a proposal, but they invited me to interview for an UW job, which I accepted. I suppose that's why they were able to initiate the call. I will send you a DM with the details soon anyway.

16 of 24

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

...they invited me to interview for an UW job, which I accepted. I suppose that's why they were able to initiate the call. I will send you a DM with the details soon anyway.

I can confirm that calls can be initiated after the freelancer accepts an invite. Looking fore=ward to your pm but also sharing that I believe I found the conversation in question and do see the call was initiated by design, although without the client discussing it with you first.

17 of 24

Hi Isabelle Anne,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. If this was a prospective client, you can decline their call, send them a message asking for clarification and finally block them in Messages if you do not want to communicate further with them. I'll share your suggestion with the team but can confirm the option you're requesting isn't on our roadmap. 

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
18 of 24

Hi everyone!

We have a few updates that we just released for dial-in numbers. Now, when you join a call with your mobile phone, the pin code will be added automatically on the backend so you will not need to enter the pin-code. Also, we have added 7 new phone dial-in numbers for Hong Kong, New Zealand, Columbia, Malaysia, Mexico, India, Singapore.

-Lena

Untitled
Ace Contributor
Vipul N Member Since: Sep 15, 2019
19 of 24

Hi,

Has the dial-in number for India been removed? It doesn't show up in the list of phone numbers and the old number which worked for India seems to have stopped working?

Thanks.

20 of 24

Hi Vipul,

So far local phone numbers are available in these countries: The USA, Finland, Netherlands, Kenya, Canada, Cayman Islands, Iceland, UK, Indonesia, Philippines, Czech Republic, Serbia, Belgium, Thailand, Israel, Uganda, Puerto Rico. And the feature is available for all Upwork users. 

It means that if your country is not on the list, you can still use other numbers from the list.