Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Contracts new beta offering.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
31 of 93

Hey!
Can I also be added to the next test group for this, pretty please?

Namita S Member Since: Jul 20, 2017
32 of 93
Hi!

Please add me to the waitlist too.

Thanks.
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
33 of 93

Namita S wrote:

Please add me to the waitlist too.

Hi Namita! I added you to the list. Thanks for your interest.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
34 of 93

Hi again!
I have two more questions:

1) When the escrow is released, is it possible for the client to add a bonus, like with fixed rate contracts? Or will that have to be done with a separate contract/transaction?

2) Can Direct Contracts be used for agency accounts, or just for freelancer accounts?

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
35 of 93

Hi Eve, 

I"m sorry it's taking a while to get back to you. Once we have more information about your questions, our team will come back here to update you.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Employee
Jason A Employee Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
36 of 93

Hi Eve,

Thanks for your questions!  For this beta, we currently don't offer a bonus option nor support agency accounts.

Out of curiousity - how important are these features for you?

Thanks,

Json

Highlighted
Community Guru
37 of 93

Jason A wrote:

Hi Eve,

Thanks for your questions!  For this beta, we currently don't offer a bonus option nor support agency accounts.

Out of curiousity - how important are these features for you?

Thanks,

Json

Hi Jason! Smiley Happy

The bonus feature would be very nice to have. Quite often I won't know the total amount I'll charge a client before I have completed a job, so it would be nice for them to be able to add on the remaining amount when they release what is escrowed. For example, what I wanted to use a Direct Contract for is this:
The agreement with the client is basically commission-based, but also have a minimum amount per week of $500. So $500 is what I would ask to have escrowed. However, there will probabaly be about $500 extra each week as an average, so it would be nice for the client to be able to add that on, so I get the full payment in one go without having to set up a new contract for it. 

Also, for Upwork's part, I think this might be even more important than for freelancers. Since the bonus amount is just extra, there is no need for escrow for it, and that means there is really no need to pay 3.4% to Upwork for this transaction, as this could be done cheaper through other payment services. However, I like having everything in the same place, so I would still want a client to be able to pay me the bonus amount in the same go as releasing what's in escrow. (I can only speak for myself, but for me, convenience is more important than a little percentage I can save in fees. So I would pay the fee for the bonus as well, but not if I have to create a new contract just for that because that won't save me any time, so there would be nothing in it for me.)

The agency thing I think would be good to have, but for me, that's not a deal-breaker. I can just as well take the payment to my personal account.

Jason A Employee Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
38 of 93
Thank you for walking me through your use case - it makes absolute sense and would make adjusting a contract payment much easier (vs. having to create a new one). Let me bring this back to the team and start brainstorming on how and when we can add a feature like this to this tool. I can’t promise that we’ll have it out soon, but I can tell you that at the very least it’s something we’ll for sure test out. If you don’t mind, I’d like to reach out to you again when we’re ready to take that step!
Highlighted
Community Guru
39 of 93

Jason A wrote:
Thank you for walking me through your use case - it makes absolute sense and would make adjusting a contract payment much easier (vs. having to create a new one). Let me bring this back to the team and start brainstorming on how and when we can add a feature like this to this tool. I can’t promise that we’ll have it out soon, but I can tell you that at the very least it’s something we’ll for sure test out. If you don’t mind, I’d like to reach out to you again when we’re ready to take that step!

Sure, no problem!

And thanks for looking into this, much appreciated. Smiley Happy

Wayne G Member Since: Mar 14, 2018
40 of 93

I really don't understand the value here. The primary role and TREMENDOUS value of Upwork is it's capacity to connect clients and freelancers who would not have been exposed to each other through traditional avenues. But from that point forward, much of the Upwork system is somewhat clumsy and even a bit non-intuitive. More than once I've had to coach new clients through the hiring process. I've had a few Upwork clients lament about the complexity of using the system, even to the point of them suggesting that we take our relationship outside the system. (a request i always of course decline.) 

I'm not here to complain. I know that nothing's perfect, and overal my experience with Upwork is tremendously positive. I just don't see the value of bringing a contact I've made outside of Upwork, into the Upwork system?

Removing payment holds is attractive, certainly. But I have my own billing system where i'm paid within 24 hours (or immediately, for a fee WAY less than 3.4%) from payment of invoice. If payment holds CAN be eliminated, why don't we do that on traditional Upwork contracts?

if you asked me, this whole thing is just thinly veiled bait for Upwork to create another fee-opportunity for itself.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS