Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Contracts new beta offering.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Wayne G Member Since: Mar 14, 2018
51 of 96

Abinadab A wrote:

Wayne, you are wrong when you suggest that most freelancers don't have clients outside Upwork and that this feature is somewhat needless.

Flat out wrong.

I hope you have substance to your claims that there is a "wealth of popular, free / affordable management tools". I very much hope so, but I suspect you don't.

Abinadab, i'm going to chalk it up maybe to diferences in conversational english, but let's clear a few things up.

1. First and foremost, I don't know whats available (or not available) in every far-flung corner of the globe. I know what's available to me, where I do work. The claims I make are based only on that. If your situation differs, I respect that, and support your freedom to conduct yourself accordingly. But please don't tell me that i'm "flat out wrong." ESPECIALLY when you've come right out and said that you aren't familiar with some of the things i've mentioned.

2. I never said or even suggested "most freelancers don't have clients outside Upwork and that this feature is somewhat needless." What i said is that this is not one of the areas Upwork excels at, and I dont see the value in the service compared to other available, fit-for-purpose services and tools out there. And I stand by that.

3. I have no interest in "escro" services. I send a client a deposit invoice, they pay it. I complete the job, they pay the balance. I've been doing it like this for over 20 years and have never had an issue.

4. As far as the existing invoicing / management tools available. The one's i've used personally include: zoho, freshbooks, quickbooks, wave accounting, bonsai, and harvest. There are dozens more, but these are the one's that I have direct experience with. And most or all integrate with square, intuit, paypal, or card processing services of major banks (chase, wells fargo, boa, etc...)

How many of those are available in what parts of the world? I couldn't tell you. But I think it's unreasonable of you to demand that I qualify the things I've used based on YOUR specific needs.

Maybe where you are, bringing your non-Upwork clients into the Upwork system would (for various reasons) be beneficial. But for me, where I am, and with it's existing toolset, it would be a HUGE step backward.

I think Upworks 3.4% fee seems reasonable. And if they could improve their user experience they might have a competitive alternative solution to existing tools. BUT that isn't how they're marketing it. At least that's not how they are marketing it to ME via the invitation they sent me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
52 of 96
Hi! Wayne.
You mentioned that since Upwork's primary role is to connect clients with freelancers, parties who would not otherwise have met each other, this feature is not all that relevant.

I have disagreed with that position.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Wayne G Member Since: Mar 14, 2018
53 of 96

Abinadab A wrote:
Hi! Wayne.
You mentioned that since Upwork's primary role is to connect clients with freelancers, parties who would not otherwise have met each other, this feature is not all that relevant.

I have disagreed with that position.

NOPE. AGAIN, you're inferring things based on your perception, rather than what was actually said.

I DID NOT use the word (nor present a scenario of) "since." I simply stated what I consider to be Upwork's primary value, THEN mentioned some of it's features I find less than optimal - espcially as it relates to this new service.
I did not say that one had any bearing on the relevance of the other. they were two seperate thoughts.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Emma M Member Since: Jun 29, 2019
54 of 96

Abinadab A wrote:

Wayne, you are wrong when you suggest that most freelancers don't have clients outside Upwork and that this feature is somewhat needless.

Abinadab I don't think anyone is saying people don't have clients outside of Upwork, but many of us are capable enough of invoicing our clients and following them up for payment - we don't need a third party to intervene. I don't work with people outside my own country, why would I want to be paid in another currency (outside what is already done via upwork)? Why would I want to wait 2-3 days for payments to hit my account when they are processed automatically? 

Let's say the cost of this direct connects costs me approx $50 AUD a month if I brought all my clients over. Quickbooks costs me $15 AUD. Zipbooks costs me nil. Go for your life if you don't have the capability to set long term working relationships in place and set up your own procedures, but many of us do. It is simply a cash grab

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
55 of 96

Wayne G wrote:

With the wealth of popular, free / affordable management tools and card processing options out there, I'd be VERY curious which "freelancers" told you that.

Image result for it was meeee gif

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
56 of 96

Jennifer M wrote:

Wayne G wrote:

With the wealth of popular, free / affordable management tools and card processing options out there, I'd be VERY curious which "freelancers" told you that.

The new JSS recalculation, the paid connects policy, and raising the service fee from 10-20% were all Jennifer's ideas, too.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
57 of 96

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Wayne G wrote:

The new JSS recalculation, the paid connects policy, and raising the service fee from 10-20% were all Jennifer's ideas, too.

brahhhh I gotta let them down SLOWLY. I need to control the flood of hate.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
58 of 96

[Edited to clarify, since Upwork's merging my thread renders my comment incoherent.]

Feature invitation (Direct Contracts) via message room?

Do. Not. Like.

That space is for my business, not Upwork's.

As for the feature itself, I'm neutral. It would be a third choice to offer new clients found off platform, after direct invoicing and prepayment or BYOC to a standard contract.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
59 of 96

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Do. Not. Like.

That space is for my business, not Upwork's.

I wouldn't like that either.

They should send via email, not Upwork chat.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
60 of 96

Here's another perspective- 

I just completed a direct contract with a longstanding non-Upwork client .The process was painless for both sides, the payment was released to me immediately, and I saved 8% in fees that I would normally have paid to my payment processor had I invoiced the client privately as before.

So for me, where I am, direct contracts are beneficial and speaking strictly for myself, I will continue to "drag" clients onto Upwork, and continue to save money on payment processor fees in the process. Everybody else's mileage and/or experience may vary.  

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS