Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Contracts new beta offering.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Emma M Member Since: Jun 29, 2019
51 of 67

Abinadab A wrote:

Wayne, you are wrong when you suggest that most freelancers don't have clients outside Upwork and that this feature is somewhat needless.

Abinadab I don't think anyone is saying people don't have clients outside of Upwork, but many of us are capable enough of invoicing our clients and following them up for payment - we don't need a third party to intervene. I don't work with people outside my own country, why would I want to be paid in another currency (outside what is already done via upwork)? Why would I want to wait 2-3 days for payments to hit my account when they are processed automatically? 

Let's say the cost of this direct connects costs me approx $50 AUD a month if I brought all my clients over. Quickbooks costs me $15 AUD. Zipbooks costs me nil. Go for your life if you don't have the capability to set long term working relationships in place and set up your own procedures, but many of us do. It is simply a cash grab

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
52 of 67

Wayne G wrote:

With the wealth of popular, free / affordable management tools and card processing options out there, I'd be VERY curious which "freelancers" told you that.

Image result for it was meeee gif

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
53 of 67

Jennifer M wrote:

Wayne G wrote:

With the wealth of popular, free / affordable management tools and card processing options out there, I'd be VERY curious which "freelancers" told you that.

The new JSS recalculation, the paid connects policy, and raising the service fee from 10-20% were all Jennifer's ideas, too.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
54 of 67

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Wayne G wrote:

The new JSS recalculation, the paid connects policy, and raising the service fee from 10-20% were all Jennifer's ideas, too.

brahhhh I gotta let them down SLOWLY. I need to control the flood of hate.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
55 of 67

[Edited to clarify, since Upwork's merging my thread renders my comment incoherent.]

Feature invitation (Direct Contracts) via message room?

Do. Not. Like.

That space is for my business, not Upwork's.

As for the feature itself, I'm neutral. It would be a third choice to offer new clients found off platform, after direct invoicing and prepayment or BYOC to a standard contract.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
56 of 67

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Do. Not. Like.

That space is for my business, not Upwork's.

I wouldn't like that either.

They should send via email, not Upwork chat.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
57 of 67

Here's another perspective- 

I just completed a direct contract with a longstanding non-Upwork client .The process was painless for both sides, the payment was released to me immediately, and I saved 8% in fees that I would normally have paid to my payment processor had I invoiced the client privately as before.

So for me, where I am, direct contracts are beneficial and speaking strictly for myself, I will continue to "drag" clients onto Upwork, and continue to save money on payment processor fees in the process. Everybody else's mileage and/or experience may vary.  

Highlighted
Man Choy L Member Since: Jul 10, 2019
58 of 67

I just secured a direct contract. 

I would like to ask whether my client can pay me bonus upon release fund to me. 

Look forward to receiving your reply soon, thanks. 

Johny Lim
Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
59 of 67

Hi Man Choy,

Congrats on securing this contract! Please note that there's no option to issue a bonus or update the amount of the already funded Milestone on direct contracts. Direct Contracts can be edited by you until your client accepts the contract and funds the project.

I checked and it looks like the contract in question is already completed. Please communicate with your client regarding issuing the bonus payment and note that you can possibly consider creating a separate direct contracts in order to easily facilitate that payment.

Highlighted
Waqif K Member Since: Oct 11, 2019
60 of 67
Direct Contracts allows you to directly invoice your non-Upwork clients and use our escrow services, offering new secure ways to get paid when prior solutions may not be viable. 

If you are interested in access to the Direct Contracts Beta Program, please sign up by providing your name below.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS