Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Contracts new beta offering.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nicola P Member Since: Jun 20, 2015
81 of 92

Hi Vladimir!

If I have understood everything correctly, Direct Contracts are an excellent idea, something really close to an idea I shared with Upwork last year to create a win-win situation (cut in half the fees for freelancers that want to keep their work relationships in Upwork also after the 2 years non-circuvention period, FL will pay less fees = WIN, and Upwork will be paid something instead of 0 = WIN).

Can you please confirm that after I work for 2 years with a client here on Upwork, I can switch to direct contracts and pay only the 3,4% fee?! That would be even better than what I suggested! Smiley Happy

There is only one problem remaining for me and all those working and living in Europe - Upwork is not only about companies and freelancers living in the US, right? - I normally work in € with direct clients. Therefore, adding also € to Upwork would be a great idea for everyone.

Highlighted
Employee
Jason A Employee Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
82 of 92

Hi Nicola,

We definitely understand the need of providing currency options outside of USD, and we're looking at supporting other currencies at a later point.  Thanks for the feedback!

Highlighted
Nikolina M Member Since: Dec 7, 2017
83 of 92

Hi all, 

I was in the middle of the process of getting my non-Upwork client to sign-up, and hire me on a contract through my 0% fee link. The first thing I have to say is how epically this failed.

I had to search youtube for a guide on how to hire a freelancer to send her, rather than directing her to a help article. I found one video by Upwork on how to hire a freelancer that only remotely relates to my use case. So, a few emails of instructions later I could sense I was just torturing the poor woman. A simple, short video by Upwork I could send to clients who want to register and hire me would really help in these situations.

But, back to the main topic - direct contracts. I am included in the beta, just noticed that in the middle of these "negotiations" - and have used the feature to send a contract to this client just now. It seemed like a saviour in the situation I was in.

I have two questions/issues:

1. Since I've practically used this as an invoicing feature (the work is almost complete) I'd like to know how my request looks on the client-side. What else does she need to do after accepting my contract?
  2. Why wouldn't the direct contracts count as jobs completed successfully - they obviously are exactly that, in most cases. I understand why you wouldn't include them in JSS calculations, but why not allow them to count toward my total earnings, or why not enable a client to leave feedback on this contract?

Thanks in advance, Nikolina

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Hidemi T Member Since: Aug 5, 2017
84 of 92

absolutely, I was wondering if there is anywhere where I can see the full process of the contract creation as it seems to be a step by step process and I can only see step 1.  I would  love to see how the whole process works in a video or at least screenshots to make sure I understand the process in full before adding the info of a non-upwork client.

Another important screenshot or video to see is how my client will see it and how my client process will look like. (from getting the notification mail and all through their escrow process)  

Having everything be clear will help me a lot to start using this feature without worrying about my client reaction to it.

Highlighted
Employee
85 of 92

Thank you for your feedback, Hidemi!  This is a great point and we will come up with a step-by-step guide soon (for both the freelancer and the client side)

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
86 of 92

Nikolina M wrote:

Hi all, 

I was in the middle of the process of getting my non-Upwork client to sign-up, and hire me on a contract through my 0% fee link. The first thing I have to say is how epically this failed.

I had to search youtube for a guide on how to hire a freelancer to send her, rather than directing her to a help article. I found one video by Upwork on how to hire a freelancer that only remotely relates to my use case. So, a few emails of instructions later I could sense I was just torturing the poor woman. A simple, short video by Upwork I could send to clients who want to register and hire me would really help in these situations.

Hi Nikolina,

From your post it sounds like you're referring to a different, Bring Your Own Client program. Note that the process you described above, with sharing instructions with your client on how to hire you as a freelancer is unfortunately incorrect. The client, who must be new to Upwork, needs to sign up using the BYOC invitation link you receive from our Customer Support team, in order to qualify for this promotion. I see our Customer Support team provided the personal link and detailed instructions your client needs to follow on your open support ticket on Wednesday, have you shared this information with your client?

Nikolina M wrote:

But, back to the main topic - direct contracts. I am included in the beta, just noticed that in the middle of these "negotiations" - and have used the feature to send a contract to this client just now. It seemed like a saviour in the situation I was in.

I have two questions/issues:

1. Since I've practically used this as an invoicing feature (the work is almost complete) I'd like to know how my request looks on the client-side. What else does she need to do after accepting my contract?
  2. Why wouldn't the direct contracts count as jobs completed successfully - they obviously are exactly that, in most cases. I understand why you wouldn't include them in JSS calculations, but why not allow them to count toward my total earnings, or why not enable a client to leave feedback on this contract?

1. Please refer to the screenshots and information Lena posted in this announcement post.

2. Thanks for your question. Since your client and you will only be using Upwork for payments, by design any Direct Contracts will not impact your Upwork reputation metrics (for example your Job Success Score or Top Rated status) nor be included in your other Upwork profile stats, such as total earnings, number of jobs, etc.

Highlighted
87 of 92

Thanks for your reply, Vladimir. 

Vladimir G wrote:

From your post it sounds like you're referring to a different, Bring Your Own Client program. Note that the process you described above, with sharing instructions with your client on how to hire you as a freelancer is unfortunately incorrect. The client, who must be new to Upwork, needs to sign up using the BYOC invitation link you receive from our Customer Support team, in order to qualify for this promotion. I see our Customer Support team provided on your open support ticket on Wednesday the personal link and detailed instructions your client needs to follow, have you shared this information with them?

I have shared all this information with her, and it was a frustrating process for her to follow. It easy for you or me, but clients are finding it complicated. A 2-minute video would do wonders in this situation, is all I'm saying.

1. Please refer to the screenshots and information Lena posted in this announcement post.

I went through the process on my side, I saw all these screenshots while I was sending a direct contract. I was asking how the process looks on the client's side.

2. Thanks for your question. Since your client and you will only be using Upwork for payments, by design any Direct Contracts will not impact your Upwork reputation metrics (for example your Job Success Score or Top-Rated status) nor be included in your other Upwork profile stats, such as total earnings, number of jobs, etc.

I am aware that the direct contract will not affect anything at the moment. But, my question was, in a short version - Are you considering adding direct contracts to the freelancer's stats in the future?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
88 of 92

Hi Nikolina,

Thanks for the follow-up. I don't have a screenshot at the moment but here's a description of the process on the client's end, which is centered on only receiving the Direct Contract offer email and opting to either accept or decline the offer.

I can confirm we're not currently considering including Direct Contracts in freelancer's profile stats or reputation metrics.

Let us know if you need help with creating a contract with the client you mentioned. They still might qualify for Bring Your Own Client program and I'd suggest, if you'd like to try again, copying the steps Customer Support shared on your ticket, following up on the ticket in case your client requires assistance with completing them and potentially benefiting from this perk. You can also reach out to us here with any questions or feedback.

Highlighted
Employee
89 of 92

Hi Nikolina,

Let me jump in here with some additional context to add to what Vladimir was saying - 

1. I understand the need to be able to fully see what the client should expect.  We'll work on creating something for you - coming soon.

2. In terms of integrating this into your Upwork profile, it's something we are considering to do down the line.

Highlighted
90 of 92

Hi Jason, 

Thanks for your reply!

I understand you can't roll out 100 features all at once on a platform of this scale, but if the direct contracts prove to be useful in the long run, I don't see a reason why they shouldn't be a part of freelancer's profile & stats.

As for making things easier for the clients, I've found that video won over the list of written instructions each time. Even when a registered client wanted to hire me they found some things confusing, let alone in the situation I described in my op.  Like I told Vladimir, some things that seem obvious and easy to him or me look different from a busy client's perspective. So, I'm hopeful I'll see something of the sort soon.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS