🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers
Page options

Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers

lenaellis
Community Member

To help grow and support your freelance business on and off Upwork, we are releasing Direct Contracts to all Upwork freelancers today. With this new release, we have also expanded the functionality to now include multiple milestones. 

Direct Contracts allows you to enter into fixed-price contracts with non-Upwork clients, offering access to Upwork's safety and security features with greater flexibility for your business. Freelancers can access their Direct Contracts by clicking on the new paper airplane icon next to notifications or directly here.

Direct Contract Icon.png

Here’s how it works: 

On the Direct Contracts page, freelancers will see the option to start a new Direct Contract and a list of all existing Direct Contracts along with the status of that contract.

The steps to start a new Direct Contract are very simple:

1. Enter your client’s details

1. Create.png

2. Add either a single amount or create milestones with each amount

MM - Collapsed.png

3. Review and send the contract

3. Review.png

4. An email is sent to your client to begin

4. Confirmation.png

Your client will receive an email notifying them of your detailed proposal, along with some guidance on how the product works. 

Just like your other fixed-price contracts on Upwork, your client deposits project funds in escrow before the contract starts. You will see the status of the milestone listed below each one, so you will know when to begin working. When you’ve completed the contract or each milestone, you’ll request payment from your client. And with Direct Contracts, once they’ve accepted your request, the funds are released to you immediately, with no security period.

5. - Active - m1.png

As a freelancer, you’ll pay a processing fee of 3.4% of the total contract amount, but you won’t pay any freelancer service fees to Upwork. It’s easy for your clients because they won’t have to create an Upwork account.  And with payment protection and dispute assistance, you can work confidently with your clients who are not on Upwork. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

405 Comments
ankit48
Community Member

I was waiting for this type of escrow service for a long time. 

Thanks for providing this. This will give some tension-free environment working with my local and Behance network clients. 

My concern here is how you guys deal with my customers.

Am ready to bring my new customers on this escrow service platform, but am afraid Upwork will flood their mail inbox with freelancers suggestion for the same job. 

I don't know if that's a valid concern or not. 

Can someone insider put some light on this?

Stay indoor.

I wish everyone reading this a productive quarantine period  and good health

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Ankit,

Thank you for the question. We aren't sending email notifications like these to clients who are using the Direct Contracts feature.

csiszerodon
Community Member

Hi everyone,

If I use this new direct contract feature, the client will get an invoice at end of the project?
I found a new client, but he definietly needs an invoice after the project. 

Thank you for your help,
Ödi

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Ödi,

Yes, that is correct. Your client will receive an invoice via email with all the relevant contract details, including the contract name, description, price, client's company name, and freelancer’s name. In case your client has questions or needs assistance with the invoices they receive, please advise them to contact us directly and we'll be happy to help! 

Congrats on starting a new working relationship, we'd love to hear your feedback about using the Direct Contract feature!

kyrollos_samir
Community Member

Do the direct contracts affect my profile success score the same way Upwork contracts do or have less effect? and can the client leave a feedback ? and if the client can, will it appear on my profile?

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Kyrollos,

We've merged your post with the announcement thread we have about Direct Contracts and where we have more information about the feature.

To answer your questions, Direct Contracts will not impact your Job Success Score. These contracts also will not be included in your other Upwork profile stats, such as total earnings, number of jobs, etc.

kyrollos_samir
Community Member

thanks 🙂

saibansal
Community Member

Hey

could anyone guide me if someone hires me on Upwork with direct contracts, after completion of the project it will be shown to my profile or no. and am I able to get rating and feedback also or no.

liaqat612
Community Member

Hello Vishal,

no, if you try to direct contract with a client outside of Upwork the job and rating will not be showing also trying not to contract outside form Upwork because your payment will be at risk.

petra_r
Community Member

Vishal B wrote:

Direct Contract will shown on my profile or not.

It will not.