Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
81 of 113

Hi Temitope, Oyeyemi, Samuel, Innocent and Achala,

Thanks for your questions. Currently, Direct Contracts are only available to freelancers and their clients in certain countries. If you attempt to sign up and you or your client are not eligible due to the country you live in, you’ll see this message: We’re sorry to inform you that Direct Contracts are currently not available in your country." Note that the message has been recently updated. We hope to expand Direct Contracts to more countries in the future.

Highlighted
Geoffroy L Member Since: Jun 18, 2019
82 of 113
Why did you put this restriction ?
That mean I can no more send direct contract to clients even if I have
already done it successfully before you put this restriction !
This is not fair!!!
Highlighted
Muhammad S Member Since: May 15, 2019
83 of 113

Hello dear community members, I have a question to ask I want to know if there are any options for client to review freelancer in direct contract?

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
84 of 113

Hi Muhammad,

Are you referring to the client leaving a feedback for your Direct Contract? If so, please note that sharing feedback is not an option with Direct Contracts. Feel free to check out this help article for more information.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Crystal H Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
85 of 113

I'm not seeing the benefits, other than to Upwork. What are the freelancers getting out of this? Upwork gets free advertisement to the new client, new money, and hopes of maybe landing them in the future. 

Everything is about money. 

We now have to pay for credit ( I was here in the Odesk days ).

20% is taken off the top automatically, so you do not only get that from us, but you charge the clients 3% so you're getting money from all sides.Smiley Frustrated Sometimes factoring in that 20% in your bid causes you to lose to someone else who didn't.

Clients I get from my website mostly pay via PayPal they get no charge, and I pay a 2.9% + 30cent fee. Paypal also has the ability to make partial payments ( milestones if you will ) so again I ask what's the benefit?  A Direct contract with Upwork would charge me 3.4%

You can't say the benefit is not paying 20% because Paypal doesn't charge that either. 

I was thinking about advertising this payment option on my website.. but why would I? I get no benefit from this, it only takes more. 

Help me understand what I'm missing.

Thanks, 

Crystal

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
86 of 113

Crystal H wrote:

I'm not seeing the benefits

Don't use it then

Highlighted
87 of 113

Petra, 

**Edited for Community Guidelines** If you had fully read what I was asking, I was asking for clarification on what I was missing; what's the purpose. 

It's actually something I wanted to use and advertise on my website I just wanted to know what the benefits were because it seems like since we are bringing them money that we otherwise wouldn't/don't have to - there should be something to help us. Or perhaps someone heard about new features coming down the pipeline that I am unaware of. 

I'm sure others have wondered as well. 

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
88 of 113

Hi Crystal,

Freelancers have told us they’d like to have one secure place to invoice clients and receive payments. Direct Contracts makes it easy to get paid by your clients who don’t have a full account on Upwork and just need access to review your invoices and make payments on fixed-price contracts. With Direct Contracts, you also get the protection of escrow and if a dispute arises we will be happy to help. 

Additionally, you may want to check out this help article for more information on Direct Contracts.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
89 of 113

Aleksandar, 

I appreciate the response. I did know about the help article beforehand, but I didn't know that other freelancers were requesting it because they wanted one place for invoice and payments. That was never an issue for me, but I do see the benefit ( for them ).

I appreciate the answer! Smiley Very Happy

Maybe in the future, there will be a feature that will help me too. 

-Crystal 

Geoffroy L Member Since: Jun 18, 2019
90 of 113

Hi, I got this error when trying to creating the contract:

We’re sorry to inform you that Direct Contracts are currently not available in your country.

Why I'm having this issue? It's not the first time I'm using the direct contract feature.

Thanks

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS