🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers
Page options

Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers

lenaellis
Community Member

To help grow and support your freelance business on and off Upwork, we are releasing Direct Contracts to all Upwork freelancers today. With this new release, we have also expanded the functionality to now include multiple milestones. 

Direct Contracts allows you to enter into fixed-price contracts with non-Upwork clients, offering access to Upwork's safety and security features with greater flexibility for your business. Freelancers can access their Direct Contracts by clicking on the new paper airplane icon next to notifications or directly here.

Direct Contract Icon.png

Here’s how it works: 

On the Direct Contracts page, freelancers will see the option to start a new Direct Contract and a list of all existing Direct Contracts along with the status of that contract.

The steps to start a new Direct Contract are very simple:

1. Enter your client’s details

1. Create.png

2. Add either a single amount or create milestones with each amount

MM - Collapsed.png

3. Review and send the contract

3. Review.png

4. An email is sent to your client to begin

4. Confirmation.png

Your client will receive an email notifying them of your detailed proposal, along with some guidance on how the product works. 

Just like your other fixed-price contracts on Upwork, your client deposits project funds in escrow before the contract starts. You will see the status of the milestone listed below each one, so you will know when to begin working. When you’ve completed the contract or each milestone, you’ll request payment from your client. And with Direct Contracts, once they’ve accepted your request, the funds are released to you immediately, with no security period.

5. - Active - m1.png

As a freelancer, you’ll pay a processing fee of 3.4% of the total contract amount, but you won’t pay any freelancer service fees to Upwork. It’s easy for your clients because they won’t have to create an Upwork account.  And with payment protection and dispute assistance, you can work confidently with your clients who are not on Upwork. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

405 Comments
BojanS
Community Manager

Hi Pedro,

Currently, Direct Contracts are only available to freelancers and their clients in certain countries. If you attempt to sign up and you or your client are not eligible due to the country you live in, you’ll see the message you're referring to. We hope to expand Direct Contracts to more countries in the future.

Thank you!

morshed-shihab
Community Member

after sending the direct contacts payment to the client, he unable to pay. he is trying to pay me but service showing attaches result. need suggetion

**Edited for community guidelines**

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Shihab,

Thanks for reaching out. I see that you've also submitted a support request about this issue. I'l be following up about it with the team, we'll investigate and update you directly via that ticket. 

raybae
Community Member
Hello, So, I have tried out the Direct Contracts feature and it went fine the first time. However, initiating another contract, I'm receiving the notification that the feature is not available for my country (Nigeria). Which begs the question, does the country of the Client also matter? (Sudan/ Australia). Because It worked the first time when I initiated the contract with a Client from South Africa. Or was the feature rescinded for Nigeria?
BojanS
Community Manager

Thanks for your question, Rachael.

Direct Contracts are only available to freelancers and their clients in certain countries. If you attempt to sign up and you or your client are not eligible due to the country you live in, you’ll see this message: We’re sorry to inform you that Direct Contracts are currently not available in your country." We hope to expand Direct Contracts to more countries in the future.

Thank you!

kallooriramesh
Community Member

Is direct contract will show in work history.

BojanS
Community Manager

Hi Kalloori,

Since your client and you will only be using Upwork for payments, sharing feedback isn't an option with Direct Contracts at this time so it will not be included into the Work History. 

Thank you for this question. 

kallooriramesh
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

Thanks for your repsonse. But it will be better to maintain all the direct contracts feedback in other section. It will be usefull for freelancer.

Thanks,

Ramesh

chabelo
Community Member

Hi there! Ive created a direct contract, client got it but when trying to pay, they get an error. Attached, a screenshot of error message. Anyone knows whats happening?
We´ve been trying for a week and its not working.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Daniel,

We'll go ahead and contact your client directly to assist them with managing the Direct Contract.