🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers
Page options

Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers

lenaellis
Community Member

To help grow and support your freelance business on and off Upwork, we are releasing Direct Contracts to all Upwork freelancers today. With this new release, we have also expanded the functionality to now include multiple milestones. 

Direct Contracts allows you to enter into fixed-price contracts with non-Upwork clients, offering access to Upwork's safety and security features with greater flexibility for your business. Freelancers can access their Direct Contracts by clicking on the new paper airplane icon next to notifications or directly here.

Direct Contract Icon.png

Here’s how it works: 

On the Direct Contracts page, freelancers will see the option to start a new Direct Contract and a list of all existing Direct Contracts along with the status of that contract.

The steps to start a new Direct Contract are very simple:

1. Enter your client’s details

1. Create.png

2. Add either a single amount or create milestones with each amount

MM - Collapsed.png

3. Review and send the contract

3. Review.png

4. An email is sent to your client to begin

4. Confirmation.png

Your client will receive an email notifying them of your detailed proposal, along with some guidance on how the product works. 

Just like your other fixed-price contracts on Upwork, your client deposits project funds in escrow before the contract starts. You will see the status of the milestone listed below each one, so you will know when to begin working. When you’ve completed the contract or each milestone, you’ll request payment from your client. And with Direct Contracts, once they’ve accepted your request, the funds are released to you immediately, with no security period.

5. - Active - m1.png

As a freelancer, you’ll pay a processing fee of 3.4% of the total contract amount, but you won’t pay any freelancer service fees to Upwork. It’s easy for your clients because they won’t have to create an Upwork account.  And with payment protection and dispute assistance, you can work confidently with your clients who are not on Upwork. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

405 Comments
uday8950338261
Community Member
My direct contract client is trying to put the money in escrow through credit card but its showing we are unable to authorise the card. My client changed the device, changed the browser, changed the credit card 3 times, contacted bank about international transaction and card working good on orher websites. I contacted upwork 5 days ago and i haven’t got a reply till then. Credit cards also not working in direct contracts.
BojanS
Community Manager

Hi Uday,

I apologize for the delay in receiving an update. I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket directly.

Thank you for your patience.

uday8950338261
Community Member
My bank is saying that the payment is going to a dublin bank which is
blakclisted by all the major banks thats why the money gets deducted and
revered automatically on direct contract and upwork shows card as un
authorised.
JoanneP

Hi Uday,

A follow-up has already been forwarded to our team. One of our agents will update your ticket and assist you directly. Thank you.

uday8950338261
Community Member
Its been more than 24. Hours now but still no reply.
ploga
Community Member

Hello

I wonder to ask is it allowed for a freelancer(Me) to have a direct contract with another freelancer & different email?
I have a contract outside the Upwork & I have a friend who is a freelancer in Upwork, So can I use direct contract this way?

All the best.

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi MohammadHassan,

Please note that Direct Contracts are only for clients who do not already have an Upwork client account. Having both is a violation of our Terms of Service. If you receive a request from a freelancer to create a Direct Contract and you already have an Upwork client account, which appears to be the case, you should decline it. Instead, please post the job from your existing account and invite the freelancer so you can hire them. Let me know if you were referring to a different setup.

6570d5a7
Community Member

Hello experts,

I just tried the new feature of upwork "Direct contract" and found it is amazing, fast, easy and less fees for the client as well as freelancers.
I have few questions though.

1. Is the earning from direct contract counts? will that earning add to our main profile?
2. Can a client give review and rating for direct contracts? will the review/ratings will be visible to our profile just like normal contract.?

I followed this link but couldn't find the required information.
https://www.upwork.com/legal#directcontracts

Regards,
Saqib

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Saqib,

1) Since your client and you will only be using Upwork for payments, any Direct Contracts will not impact your Upwork reputation metrics (for example your Job Success Score or Top-Rated status). These contracts also will not be included in your other Upwork profile stats, such as total earnings, number of jobs, etc.

2) Sharing feedback is not an option with Direct Contracts.

For more information about Direct Contracts, you can check out this help article.

Thank you.

jacobelbaum
Community Member

Hello,

I was sure that within the last month, I noticed an option on UpWork for me to use UpWork as a payment solution for invoicing clients (non-upwork). 

Kind of similar to how you can use PayPal to invoice a client and receive funds. 

I could have sworn I saw this option on UpWork and now I see nothing about it. 

Was this available at some point? 

Thank you!