🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers
Page options

Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers

lenaellis
Community Member

To help grow and support your freelance business on and off Upwork, we are releasing Direct Contracts to all Upwork freelancers today. With this new release, we have also expanded the functionality to now include multiple milestones. 

Direct Contracts allows you to enter into fixed-price contracts with non-Upwork clients, offering access to Upwork's safety and security features with greater flexibility for your business. Freelancers can access their Direct Contracts by clicking on the new paper airplane icon next to notifications or directly here.

Direct Contract Icon.png

Here’s how it works: 

On the Direct Contracts page, freelancers will see the option to start a new Direct Contract and a list of all existing Direct Contracts along with the status of that contract.

The steps to start a new Direct Contract are very simple:

1. Enter your client’s details

1. Create.png

2. Add either a single amount or create milestones with each amount

MM - Collapsed.png

3. Review and send the contract

3. Review.png

4. An email is sent to your client to begin

4. Confirmation.png

Your client will receive an email notifying them of your detailed proposal, along with some guidance on how the product works. 

Just like your other fixed-price contracts on Upwork, your client deposits project funds in escrow before the contract starts. You will see the status of the milestone listed below each one, so you will know when to begin working. When you’ve completed the contract or each milestone, you’ll request payment from your client. And with Direct Contracts, once they’ve accepted your request, the funds are released to you immediately, with no security period.

5. - Active - m1.png

As a freelancer, you’ll pay a processing fee of 3.4% of the total contract amount, but you won’t pay any freelancer service fees to Upwork. It’s easy for your clients because they won’t have to create an Upwork account.  And with payment protection and dispute assistance, you can work confidently with your clients who are not on Upwork. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

405 Comments
anayaadroher
Community Member

Hello, 

I created a direct contract for a client.

The client says that it has been paid from their side but in my account, I haven't been able to see the funds and the contact hasn't been accepted yet. 

How can I check the status? 

The client paid it but hasn't received a confirmation. 

Thanks

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member

Hi Merce,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your contract. Thank you.

aushrafulalam
Community Member

Hello,

My client doesn't have a creadit card. He has a debit card and is unable to integrate it with upwork on a direct contact.

Is there any solution for this? Please help.

Thank you.

When he tries it shows like this...When he tries it shows like this...

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Aushraful,

I'm sorry to hear about this. Please advise your client to use another card and try funding the contract again.

Thank you.

aushrafulalam
Community Member

Hello Aleksandar D,

Thank you for your answer. My client is saying he tried every possible way but is unable to integrate his payment method as he does not have a credit card.

Is there any way he can pay via debit card?

Thank you

Aushraful

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Aushraful,

Please let your client know to reach out to us so that we can assist them further.

Thank you.

8b622f83
Community Member

Hi. I have tried Direct Contracts and it went successful but it is not showing in my profile. Previously, total earning was 300+ with 10 total jobs, and after the completion of my direct contract it should be 400+ with 11 total jobs, but the profile is still showing 300+ total earning and 10 total jobs. Please help me if there is a problem in it or its just the policy of upwork to not include direct contracts in work history. Thank you.

petra_r
Community Member

Hajira B wrote:

Hi. I have tried Direct Contracts and it went successful but it is not showing in my profile.

They never show on the profile and do not have an affect on your JSS. The money earned through them is also not included in your total. Nor are the jobs. For direct contracts, Upwork merely acts as a payment processer.

kapalat
Community Member

Hi,

when will I be paied for Hourly Direct Contract. Iam working on a weekly basis and wanted to check few things like.

1) How will My cliend release the funds?

2) After how many days will I be getting paid?

3) Is there a way to check If my client have approved my hours and relesed the funds?

Thanks,

Tej

AndreaG

Hi Kapala,

Thanks for your questions!  We will charge your client for the previous week each Monday. Once your hours have been submitted for invoice, payment will be reflected in your Upwork balance the following Friday. We automatically charge your client and process your payment each week. Your client has the option to review hours before your payment is released and can file a dispute if an issue arises.

Thanks!