🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers
Page options

Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers

lenaellis
Community Member

To help grow and support your freelance business on and off Upwork, we are releasing Direct Contracts to all Upwork freelancers today. With this new release, we have also expanded the functionality to now include multiple milestones. 

Direct Contracts allows you to enter into fixed-price contracts with non-Upwork clients, offering access to Upwork's safety and security features with greater flexibility for your business. Freelancers can access their Direct Contracts by clicking on the new paper airplane icon next to notifications or directly here.

Direct Contract Icon.png

Here’s how it works: 

On the Direct Contracts page, freelancers will see the option to start a new Direct Contract and a list of all existing Direct Contracts along with the status of that contract.

The steps to start a new Direct Contract are very simple:

1. Enter your client’s details

1. Create.png

2. Add either a single amount or create milestones with each amount

MM - Collapsed.png

3. Review and send the contract

3. Review.png

4. An email is sent to your client to begin

4. Confirmation.png

Your client will receive an email notifying them of your detailed proposal, along with some guidance on how the product works. 

Just like your other fixed-price contracts on Upwork, your client deposits project funds in escrow before the contract starts. You will see the status of the milestone listed below each one, so you will know when to begin working. When you’ve completed the contract or each milestone, you’ll request payment from your client. And with Direct Contracts, once they’ve accepted your request, the funds are released to you immediately, with no security period.

5. - Active - m1.png

As a freelancer, you’ll pay a processing fee of 3.4% of the total contract amount, but you won’t pay any freelancer service fees to Upwork. It’s easy for your clients because they won’t have to create an Upwork account.  And with payment protection and dispute assistance, you can work confidently with your clients who are not on Upwork. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

405 Comments
dynastydyer
Community Member

You would invite clients you met to use direct contracts instead of joining the platform. I used it today, for example, for a client my boss sent to me over the weekend. It gives me a place to put the funds without her having to be worried I'd run off with the money.

miltechhaseeb
Community Member

how to start upwork direct contract.

The client would send me $400, he wants to know how much he would pay and also I want to know I much would I have to pay to upwork.

Is this project affect my account in any way?

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Muhammad,

To get started with Direct Contracts, please click on the paper airplane icon in your navigation bar as shown in this screenshot. You can also check out this help article for more information.

Freelancers are charged a 3.4% payment processing fee. For example, if your earnings are $400 you’ll be charged a payment processing fee of $13.60 USD. You are not charged a freelancer service fee, only the 3.4%. Clients also are not charged any fees. Please note that all transactions are in USD.

Since your client and you will only be using Upwork for invoicing and payments, any Direct Contracts will not impact your Upwork reputation metrics (for example your Job Success Score or Top Rated status). These contracts also will not be included in your other Upwork profile stats, such as total earnings, number of jobs, etc.

Thank you.
kridharsolutions
Community Member

Hi Community folks,

I want to know whether we can create Direct Contracts in Agency profile or it's just available for Freelancer profile. 

If it's available for Agency profile, then please guide the steps to create it through Agency profile.

Thanks in advance.

-Dharmendra.

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Dharmendra,

Yes, you should be able to use Direct Contracts from your agency. To do so, switch to your agency profile and click on the paper airplane icon in your navigation bar as shown in this screenshot. You can also check out this help article for more information.

Thank you.

tanujwadhwa
Community Member

Hi,

I have got a direct contract with a client. we want to re-arrange the milestones as there is some issue with scraping and the client in talking to the website to allow that. 

so we want to re-arrange the milestones. I am unable to edit milestones. It always prompts "try again in few min"  this is hapenning since 1st Jan.

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Tanuj,

You should be able to edit milestones for the Direct Contract. Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies or using a different browser? If the problem persists after trying that, please let us know and make sure to include a screenshot of the error so that we can take a look.

Thank you.

heidi23
Community Member

Hello,I've found invite clients button with a copy invite link  in the direct contracts section
Is it ok to copy and paste this link in social media groups to get more jobs opportunity or not?
Thanks.

AndreaG

Hi Heidi,

Please avoid sending the contract details page URL to the client or posting it publicly. Currently, Direct Contracts are meant to be used with a specific client who's not registered on Upwork. Your client will need a specially generated link to be able to access the contract information and we send them that link to your contract via email. We appreciate your interest in a feature that would allow you to share a link publicly and will share it with the team.

Thanks!
7bbf833c
Community Member
I am facing the same problem. The client is paying using his VISA debit card but it fails.