Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Direct contracts with client why has an account

Upwork Staff
Jason A Upwork Staff Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
21 of 176

Hi Chi,

Thanks for your feedback - we are going to be updating the product in the coming weeks to give you the option of entering an optional due date with your contracts.  In the meantime, please feel free to add a due date or timeline in the description of your project - we acknowledge that it's not ideal, but we hope to have a dedicated feature for this very soon.

Community Guru
David S M Member Since: Apr 24, 2018
22 of 176

Will I be able to add sales tax? 

Also, will you be expanding this for hourly contracts as well?

Before I can sending a contract, there's a checkbox I would have to check that says:  "Yes, I understand and agree to the Upwork Terms of Service, including the Direct Contracts Terms and Privacy Policy."  Does this mean if I send a contract to a client, and they accept, we're both now stuck with Upwork as per section 7.1 and 7.2 in the user agreement of the Upwork TOS? 

Community Leader
Mohammed G Member Since: Jan 13, 2016
23 of 176

David S M wrote:

Does this mean if I send a contract to a client, and they accept, we're both now stuck with Upwork as per section 7.1 and 7.2 in the user agreement of the Upwork TOS? 

Of course not, you didn't identify or meet your Client on Upwork in this case!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
24 of 176

Hi David,

In short, no. In order to use Direct Contracts, you must agree to the Upwork Terms of Service.  However, your agreement to the non-circumvention provision in Section 7 only applies to relationships that were started through Upwork. Since you are bringing your own client(s) with Direct Contracts -- meaning you already had a relationship with them outside of Upwork and they don’t have an Upwork account -- those provisions do not apply.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ihar Z Member Since: Nov 28, 2016
25 of 176

Hi.

I know that

"With Direct Contracts, you can create and send contract proposals to your clients that don't have Upwork accounts."

I have a client I found outside Upwork. He has an Upwork account. Can I have a direct contract in this case?

Thanks in advance.

Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
26 of 176

Hi Ihar,

Direct Contracts cannot be used with clients who already have an account on Upwork. You can read more about Direct Contracts here

Thanks!

~Andrea
Untitled
Upwork Staff
Jason A Upwork Staff Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
27 of 176

Hi David,

I also want to add that we will be adding the option for hourly contracts later this year.  And you can manually add sales tax to your amount, but unfortunately it's not itemized separately... it's an interesting idea and we can think through if and how we can do this for you.  Thank you for checking out our new feature!

Ace Contributor
Ankit A Member Since: Jan 5, 2018
28 of 176

I was waiting for this type of escrow service for a long time. 

Thanks for providing this. This will give some tension-free environment working with my local and Behance network clients. 

My concern here is how you guys deal with my customers.

Am ready to bring my new customers on this escrow service platform, but am afraid Upwork will flood their mail inbox with freelancers suggestion for the same job. 

I don't know if that's a valid concern or not. 

Can someone insider put some light on this?

Stay indoor.

I wish everyone reading this a productive quarantine period  and good health

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
29 of 176

Hi Ankit,

Thank you for the question. We aren't sending email notifications like these to clients who are using the Direct Contracts feature.

Odon C Member Since: Feb 18, 2019
30 of 176

Hi everyone,

If I use this new direct contract feature, the client will get an invoice at end of the project?
I found a new client, but he definietly needs an invoice after the project. 

Thank you for your help,
Ödi

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS