🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers
Page options

Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers

lenaellis
Community Member

To help grow and support your freelance business on and off Upwork, we are releasing Direct Contracts to all Upwork freelancers today. With this new release, we have also expanded the functionality to now include multiple milestones. 

Direct Contracts allows you to enter into fixed-price contracts with non-Upwork clients, offering access to Upwork's safety and security features with greater flexibility for your business. Freelancers can access their Direct Contracts by clicking on the new paper airplane icon next to notifications or directly here.

Direct Contract Icon.png

Here’s how it works: 

On the Direct Contracts page, freelancers will see the option to start a new Direct Contract and a list of all existing Direct Contracts along with the status of that contract.

The steps to start a new Direct Contract are very simple:

1. Enter your client’s details

1. Create.png

2. Add either a single amount or create milestones with each amount

MM - Collapsed.png

3. Review and send the contract

3. Review.png

4. An email is sent to your client to begin

4. Confirmation.png

Your client will receive an email notifying them of your detailed proposal, along with some guidance on how the product works. 

Just like your other fixed-price contracts on Upwork, your client deposits project funds in escrow before the contract starts. You will see the status of the milestone listed below each one, so you will know when to begin working. When you’ve completed the contract or each milestone, you’ll request payment from your client. And with Direct Contracts, once they’ve accepted your request, the funds are released to you immediately, with no security period.

5. - Active - m1.png

As a freelancer, you’ll pay a processing fee of 3.4% of the total contract amount, but you won’t pay any freelancer service fees to Upwork. It’s easy for your clients because they won’t have to create an Upwork account.  And with payment protection and dispute assistance, you can work confidently with your clients who are not on Upwork. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

405 Comments
6c5e8f14
Community Member

Hmm, sorry I'm not sure I'm understanding. You're saying my client cannot accept a new contracts because they have an account? So they would have to open a new account for every new contract we enter into with them? I'm sure I'm missing what you meant, sorry.

AndreaG

Hi Cody,

I'm sorry if my reply wasn't clear. Yes, clients that already have an Upwork account cannot use Direct Contracts. In this case, they need to hire you using a Fixed-Price or Hourly Contract. You can share your profile link with them and they can hire you directly from your profile using the Hire button.

Thanks!

6c5e8f14
Community Member

Ah ok so we can't create the contract if they have an account, only they can create the contract. Hmm ok, thanks!

aafreenshahab
Community Member

I recieved this email. Can you make me understand what does it mean?

**Edited for community guidelines**

BojanS
Community Manager

Hi Aafreen,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

shifachips
Community Member

I just requested a payment request for one of my direct contract, but the client said she didn't receive the email like usual. The payment request was sent normally for the previous milestones to her email.

AveryO
Community Manager

Hi Shifa, 

I'll go ahead and look into this for you, and come back here once I have more information regarding your concern. I would like to note that we did have maintenance earlier today, and this would have been the reason why your client didn't receive the email. 

AveryO
Community Manager

HI Shifa,

We checked our contracts and it looks like you have already been paid for the payment you requested earlier as shown 
on this page. Let us know if you need further help regarding your concern. 

shifachips
Community Member

I just checked, it's still not paid yet. The paid one was from the previous milestone.D7F52852-096B-498B-A8F0-59191D7B0DCE.jpeg

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Shifa,

Thanks for following up. One of our team members will reach out to your client via email to assist them further with this.

Thank you.