🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers
Page options

Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers

lenaellis
Community Member

To help grow and support your freelance business on and off Upwork, we are releasing Direct Contracts to all Upwork freelancers today. With this new release, we have also expanded the functionality to now include multiple milestones. 

Direct Contracts allows you to enter into fixed-price contracts with non-Upwork clients, offering access to Upwork's safety and security features with greater flexibility for your business. Freelancers can access their Direct Contracts by clicking on the new paper airplane icon next to notifications or directly here.

Direct Contract Icon.png

Here’s how it works: 

On the Direct Contracts page, freelancers will see the option to start a new Direct Contract and a list of all existing Direct Contracts along with the status of that contract.

The steps to start a new Direct Contract are very simple:

1. Enter your client’s details

1. Create.png

2. Add either a single amount or create milestones with each amount

MM - Collapsed.png

3. Review and send the contract

3. Review.png

4. An email is sent to your client to begin

4. Confirmation.png

Your client will receive an email notifying them of your detailed proposal, along with some guidance on how the product works. 

Just like your other fixed-price contracts on Upwork, your client deposits project funds in escrow before the contract starts. You will see the status of the milestone listed below each one, so you will know when to begin working. When you’ve completed the contract or each milestone, you’ll request payment from your client. And with Direct Contracts, once they’ve accepted your request, the funds are released to you immediately, with no security period.

5. - Active - m1.png

As a freelancer, you’ll pay a processing fee of 3.4% of the total contract amount, but you won’t pay any freelancer service fees to Upwork. It’s easy for your clients because they won’t have to create an Upwork account.  And with payment protection and dispute assistance, you can work confidently with your clients who are not on Upwork. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

405 Comments
petra_r
Community Member

Md Minhazul A wrote:

If I create a Contract using Direct Contracts, the client can provide feedback to my profile?

No.

Md Minhazul A wrote:

the earned amount will be counted on my profile?

No.

cerman
Community Member

on direct contract option, can clients see freelancers profile information, previously completed jobs, earnings etc ?

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Erman,

Your client doesn't have direct access to your profile. Meaning, they will not receive the link to your profile in the emails, but they can always search for you on Upwork and check your profile.

Thank you.

ninja360
Community Member

I want an outside client to come on upwork and work with me. But I don't know much about the direct contract please someone explain it. Also the fees section on both sides. And do I have to update the contract each time for continous work?

Thanks for your answer in advance.

BojanS
Community Manager

Hi M Hussain,

Freelancers are charged a 3.4% payment processing fee. For example, if your earnings are $100 you’ll be charged a payment processing fee of $3.40 USD. You are not charged a freelancer service fee, only the 3.4%. Clients also are not charged any fees.

You can check this help article for more information on how Direct Contracts work.

Thank you! 

28a0a3bb
Community Member
The client requested that I change the details in the direct contract. Is it possible? Or do we need to end the current contract and start a new one just to change the name and address of the client?
JoanneP

Hi Charlie George,

Direct Contracts can be edited by you until your client accepts the contract and funds the project. If a change in terms or scope is needed after that, please reach out to your client to discuss. You can then cancel the existing contract and create a new one.

machin86
Community Member

Hello Team,

I'm not sure why all the payment request for direct contract is showing "the payment method you submitted could not be authorized. Please try using another or contact customer support" by the client.

Kindly look into my problem.

BojanS
Community Manager

Hi MacHin,

Is this issue that your client is experiencing? Could you please share the ID of the contract you're referring to so that we can assist you accordingly?

Than you! 

machin86
Community Member

Hi,

Yes that is the error which she get while making the payment and direct contract ID: 1375101075994677248 

How to resolve this issue.