Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information and the email of the client you are referring to? I will be sure to look into your report and escalate it accordingly.
Hello, I hope someone from Upwork can reply. I've been off the forum for some time though I have read this whole thread (29 pages) and also the article about Direct Contracts. I have a client outside Upwork so I need to know if this would really work for me or not. These are my questions:
1) Read in this thread the Direct Contracts are not really available in certain locations. The article reads it is available in 180+ countries. Maybe the article is more up to date but I don't know. It would be nice to see a list of countries if some are banned. Please confirm.
2) Towards the end of the thread it reads some clients are being charged a 6% fee while originally there was no fee for the client at all! It doesn't sound professional to talk to the client and say it will be free of charge just to let them get that surprise afterwards. Is there a fee for the client or not? If the fee is for "selected" clients then I would take it as it is for all of them since I don't like a random algorithm to decide.
3) If previous point is true and that will be the norm then it looks like having your client make a full account in Upwork is much better than Direct Contracts. By the way, is the "Bring Your Own Client" program still running? Because I don't see it anywhere now. I know it was only for TR freelancers but I am.
4) Is there any step-by-step article with images or video by Upwork where we can see the process from the client side, either for Direct Contracts or for creating an account, setting contract, etc.? I've been searching, because my client is not really computer savvy so I want to do it as smooth as possible for them.
Thank you for your message.
1. US Federal Law restricts Upwork from conducting business with individuals and entities based in certain countries. You can learn more here. Direct Contracts are available for all users from other locations where Upwork offers services and have payment partners to complete the transactions.
2. We will be asking clients who start new Direct Contracts to begin paying a small processing fee on the payments they make to their freelancer(s). We are currently building this option into our site, and testing it out with select Direct Contracts to start. In the future, a payment processing fee for clients will be added to all new Direct Contracts. When that occurs, we will be sure to update all communications, Help articles, etc., to share the fee amount that we decide upon. In the meantime, we welcome your feedback about all things Direct Contracts, so please feel free to share it!
3. BYOC is still available for Rising Talent and Top Rated Freelancers. If you have been issued a personal link before, you can still use the same link for your clients outside Upwork. As for the benefit of Direct Contracts, Direct contracts will only charge you 3.4% on service fees.
4. You can refer to Direct Contract Help page for more information.
Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.
Hello I start direct contract with client. And client tell me that upwork charged from him 6% for services. But upwork manual talk about 3.4% for freelancer, no fee for client. Can you please explain me what does it mean?
We will be asking clients who start new Direct Contracts to begin paying a small processing fee on the payments they make to their freelancer(s). We are currently building this option into our site, and testing it out with select Direct Contracts to start. In the future, a payment processing fee for clients will be added to all new Direct Contracts. When that occurs, we will be sure to update all communications, Help articles, etc., to share the fee amount that we decide upon. In the meantime, we welcome your feedback about all things Direct Contracts, so please feel free to share it! Thank you.
That is, it turns out that this article https://www.upwork.com/direct-contracts is misleading all, both clients and freelancers.
In addition, the commission for the client at the moment is 6%. For freelancer 3.4%.
As a result, the total commission for the contract is 9.4%. This does not correspond to the stated conditions at all
Thanks for reporting and apologies for this oversight and frustrating it has caused you.
We've updated the client fee information on the landing page you shared and now it's accurate and consistent with our other resources on this topic.
Learn more about our awesome Community member Claudia!Learn More
We've added a meeting scheduling tool and an option to sync with your Google or Microsoft calendar to help you streamline interviews and work meetings on Upwork.Learn More
We're releasing a suite of new features for Project Catalog™ designed to help talent promote projects.Learn More
In the webinar, we teach you how to create a project, how to best utilize Project Catalog™ for your independent business, as well as share some best practices and helpful resources.Learn More