Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers

Highlighted
Employee
Jason A Employee Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
51 of 122

Hi Geoffroy,

UPDATE: This issue has been fixed so your cilent should now be able to access the contract via the email.  Please let us know if it's still not working.

Highlighted
Geoffroy L Member Since: Jun 18, 2019
52 of 122

Hi Jason. It's working now thanks.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Subodh K Member Since: May 3, 2019
53 of 122

Howdy All, Staying safe? 

Firstly, thanks Upwork for this direct contract feature. It helps to close many difficult clients as it provides escrow service as peace of mind for the clients. 

But before jumping into it I wanna know about the direct contract a bit more. 

Is there a limitation on how many you can send in a day ? Or how do you stop spammers using it? 

Will upwork use my client's information for any purpose? 

Will upwork remarket to my direct clients?  

Will these direct contract job counts towards the freelancer's job success score % ?

Thank you in advance  for you help 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
54 of 122

Hi Subodh,

Thanks for your interest in the Direct Contracts feature and your questions. 

There is currently no limit for how many Direct Contracts you can initiate. 

Please note that any information submitted to Upwork, including the client's email and payment information, is processed by Upwork in accordance with our Privacy Policy for the purpose of managing the contract you have with the client

Since your client and you will only be using Upwork for payments, any Direct Contracts will not impact your Upwork reputation metrics like Job Success Score. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Andres C Member Since: Jan 17, 2017
55 of 122

Hello, I have a question from the client's side, what will happen regarding taxes for the client? The client pays the direct contract (3.4% fee for me), and then the escrow is liberated, etc. and then if the clients need some sort of W9 form or other documents for his US company (for an audit or similar), how does it work with direct contracts?

obviously I'm no expert on the topic, I hope I explained myself

Highlighted
56 of 122

Thanks for your question, Andres.

In most cases U.S. freelancers—including those who earned more than $600—will not receive a Form 1099-MISC from Upwork or their clients. So if you classify your freelancer as an independent contractor, you don’t need to file a Form 1099-MISC for your payments to them through Upwork. While all freelancers submit their information for Form W-9 (U.S.-based) or Form W-8BEN (international) to Upwork, Upwork doesn’t send freelancers Form 1099-MISC, either. We do file a Form 1099-K when applicable (to freelancers who are U.S. Persons and receive over $20,000 with more than 200 transactions through Upwork).

To learn more, click here.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Edoardo N Member Since: May 2, 2011
57 of 122

Hi Lena,

i've just started my first Direct Contract to see how it works but i don't think i will use it again cause it seems there are no real benefits for my profile since as soon as the project will be finished i can't get any feedback from the client; to be honest i think Upwork should improve it to make it more interesting for freelancer like me who are interested in continuing to work on the platform.
There a lot of clients that maybe will need 1 work only per year and it doesn't make sense (at least for me) for them to have a profile that they will use 1 time per year or maybe in their lifetime so a "Direct Contract" could be a good option; i don't think it is a good thing (and it is not an incentive for us as freelancers) that they can't leave us a feedback.

Keep in consideration to add this feature.

Thx,

Edoardo

Highlighted
Dmytro K Member Since: Sep 30, 2016
58 of 122

My first direct contract's client can't pass the Quick security check.

They have tried multiple times, requesting numerous codes, but we keep getting errors with the system. 

Can support help me with this so we can get contracting done?

Highlighted
59 of 122

Hi Dmytro,

We checked and it looks like the client was able to validate the code. Are you and your client still experiencing issues with setting up the contract?

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Dmytro K Member Since: Sep 30, 2016
60 of 122

Hi, Valeria.  It seems to be some kind of problem that have been solved by itself. Client approved they've already got an access. Thanks for your time.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS