Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
31 of 125

Vishal B wrote:

Direct Contract will shown on my profile or not.

It will not.

Highlighted
Sohan U Member Since: Aug 29, 2015
32 of 125

I have a client from Maldives, I've send him a direct contract but he could not authorize and fund after verifying email. This error message is showing from last night:

We are sorry! We are experiencing a technical problem and cannot process your request right now. Please try again in a minute.

ue-5-5-2020 5-51-16 PM.png

Please resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
33 of 125

Hi Sohan,

Please ask your client to try clearing their cache and cookies or funding the contract via another browser. If they continue to experience the same problem after this, let me know. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Sohan U Member Since: Aug 29, 2015
34 of 125

I asked him and he just cleaned browser cache and didn't work. He also tried from his phone, it's the same.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
35 of 125

Hi Sohan,

This error may occur when a client signs up on Upwork.com for an account, and since Direct Contracts are only for non-Upwork clients they would get an error when sending a Direct Contract. We can have someone from support contact you via email to assist you further.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nicola P Member Since: Jun 20, 2015
36 of 125

Hi Valeria!

"...since Direct Contracts are only for non-Upwork clients..." this means I can't send a direct contract to an existing client already on Upwork after 2 years from our first job?!

If this is true, I suggest you to change this asap. I really don't understand who had this really bad idea.

I will have in July a new job for an old client (2+ years from first contact on Upwork), amounting between $6,000 and $7,000 in total. I wanted to use a Direct Contract for this one but:

1 - I need to know asap if I can do it, because she is a client already registered on Upwork.

2 - Please remove the $5,000 limit for a Direct Contract, or I have to make different contracts instead of different milestones.

Otherwise, I will have to handle everything outside Upwork and directly with the client, and Upwork will not get any fee from me for this contract. I'm sure I am not the only one in this situation, therefore Upwork has only to lose if they don't accept direct contracts for clients already registered in Upwork.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
37 of 125

Hi Nicola,

Unfortunately, Direct Contracts cannot be used with clients who already have an account on Upwork. This feature is designed to be used by select freelancers on Upwork when working with clients who do not have, nor want, an Upwork client account.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nicola P Member Since: Jun 20, 2015
38 of 125

Hi Vladimir,

thank you for your quick response.

I find this decision not good for anyone, not for freelancers, and not for Upwork.

I hope this will be reconsidered.

Can you forward my feedback, please?

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
39 of 125

Hi Nicola,

We appreciate and regularly share the feedback we see on this thread with the team.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Samuel A Member Since: Dec 18, 2018
40 of 125
I used the direct contract feature yesterday to work and receive money.

My client paid (he shared a screenshot with me), but I still haven't received it (my profile still shows 'payment requested')

Can you tell me what's wrong?

I'll appreciate your response
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS