🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Direct message before hiring
Page options

Direct message before hiring

lenaellis
Community Member

This week, we will begin beta testing a Direct Message tool that allows Plus clients to reach out directly to freelancers they want to work with before they post a job. 

With the experience today, clients have to post a job before they can start a conversation with a freelancer, even if they have already found someone who might be a good fit through doing a search and reviewing their profiles. With the new beta Direct Messages, clients can start a conversation with a freelancer about their project’s scope, budget, timeline, and their availability without having to post a job first. 

Here’s how it will work:

(See example images below which are mockups or taken from the Enterprise experience.)

Plus clients will see a new “Send Message” button next to freelancers’ info.

direct message mockup4.png

When clients click on “Send Message”, they will see the Send Message form.

direct message mockup2.png

Once a Plus client sends a Direct Message, a 1:1 Messages room with that freelancer will be created, and clients and freelancers can access that room by going to Messages. An email will also be sent notifying freelancers that a client wants to chat about their project. In the email, freelancers will be shown the client's number of jobs posted, star review rating and total spend. See example images below taken from the Enterprise experience.

Direct message mockup3.png

If a freelancer is not interested in speaking with the client about the project, they can ignore the Direct Message or can block the client in Messages. Ignoring a Direct Message will not affect the freelancer’s JSS/ responsiveness score or ability to be invited to jobs in the future. Blocking a client will prevent a freelancer from receiving messages and invites from the client in the future.

There is a limit on how many conversations a client can send. Plus clients are able to start 40 conversations within a billing period. This feature is already available for Enterprise and Business clients, they will continue to have unlimited access.

75 Comments
AveryO
Community Manager

Hi Pei, 

Thanks for following up! Valeria is checking why the direct message didn't include other information about the client. 

I checked your account and it looks like you're already back in the Top Rated program, with a 94% Job Success Score. If you have other concerns, let us know by responding to this thread!

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Soumya,

I see the agent explained in the ticket that the email notification didn't contain information about the client's Work History because the client is new. I'll also send you a PM with more information.

We have been testing this feature for a while with Enterprise clients and freelancers, who have reported it helps them connect with freelancers more easily and more quickly. Now it's also available to clients on Plus Membership.

hwinterburn
Community Member

I'd like an opt-out feature. I don't want to be getting DMs from prospective clients until I've had time to read their job post and agree that I want to talk to them. 

atlinguist
Community Member

Nice for clients. Not so nice for freelancers. 

Recent conversation (roughly) on similar system:

Client: Hi!

Me: Hi! How can I help you?

Client: Do you do X? What would it cost me?

Me: [answer, mentioning pricing including discounts, timeframe, services, etc.]

... And the client was never heard from again.

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

This week, I have heard some appalling stories about the direct messaging before hire feature.  Freelancers getting messages from "clients"  who are really freelancers begging for work, freelancers getting messages offering to rewrite their profiles, and on and on.  The abuse of this feature seems to far outweigh any probative value it could possibly have.

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Mary,

Could you please ask the freelancers who shared those experiences with you to send me a pm with screenshots and relevant information, so I can take a look?

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Will do, Vlad Daddy...

vsalinitro
Community Member

Pei Z wrote:

I have received a direct message yesterday, however, I'm not able to see any information about the client. This is really frustrating, as we freelancers have no clue about the client and the project before we can decide if we are interested in it or would like to spend time to talk.

I think this is the biggest problem of this feature, not being able to see the client profile doesn't seem right and potentially very dangerous.

Every time I apply for a  job I check the client history, how much money they pay, feedbacks from freelancers, feedbacks to freelancers and so on, am I now supposed to make a decision without knowing anything about their Upwork experience? I'm more than happy to work with clients who are completely new to Upwork, but when I do, at least I know they don't have any Upwork history.

anissy
Community Member

This is absolutely a terrible idea!

I just got someone who sent me message after message about his personal problems, even after I told him I was not interested. I don't have time for this!

If I can opt out, please let me know how!

anissy
Community Member

Horrible idea!

Please at least let me opt out!