🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Direct message before hiring
Page options

Direct message before hiring

lenaellis
Community Member

This week, we will begin beta testing a Direct Message tool that allows Plus clients to reach out directly to freelancers they want to work with before they post a job. 

With the experience today, clients have to post a job before they can start a conversation with a freelancer, even if they have already found someone who might be a good fit through doing a search and reviewing their profiles. With the new beta Direct Messages, clients can start a conversation with a freelancer about their project’s scope, budget, timeline, and their availability without having to post a job first. 

Here’s how it will work:

(See example images below which are mockups or taken from the Enterprise experience.)

Plus clients will see a new “Send Message” button next to freelancers’ info.

direct message mockup4.png

When clients click on “Send Message”, they will see the Send Message form.

direct message mockup2.png

Once a Plus client sends a Direct Message, a 1:1 Messages room with that freelancer will be created, and clients and freelancers can access that room by going to Messages. An email will also be sent notifying freelancers that a client wants to chat about their project. In the email, freelancers will be shown the client's number of jobs posted, star review rating and total spend. See example images below taken from the Enterprise experience.

Direct message mockup3.png

If a freelancer is not interested in speaking with the client about the project, they can ignore the Direct Message or can block the client in Messages. Ignoring a Direct Message will not affect the freelancer’s JSS/ responsiveness score or ability to be invited to jobs in the future. Blocking a client will prevent a freelancer from receiving messages and invites from the client in the future.

There is a limit on how many conversations a client can send. Plus clients are able to start 40 conversations within a billing period. This feature is already available for Enterprise and Business clients, they will continue to have unlimited access.

75 Comments
lysis10
Community Member

Anita N wrote:

This is absolutely a terrible idea!

I just got someone who sent me message after message about his personal problems, even after I told him I was not interested. I don't have time for this!

If I can opt out, please let me know how!

lol yeah I get spammed by losers trying to sell me their wares.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Anita,

You can block a client from trying to reach you on Messages by selecting the extended menu (3 dots) in the Messages room with that client, and selecting “block.” When you block a client, you will not be able to receive invites from them in the future.

I hope this helps!

rafsun_ug
Community Member

Hello Experts,
Take my best regards. A client has messaged me directly for a job. But I can't enter into her profile or history because there is no link for any Job Post or her profile in the message. Is there any way to know about the client and her history. Thanks in advance!

**edited for Community Guidelines**

mtngigi
Community Member

It's another iniative that Upwork seems to think is a good idea ... it's not. Here's the announcement:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Direct-message-before-hiring-new-beta-test/m-p/624836#...

AveryO
Community Manager

Hi Rafsun, 

I checked and can confirm that the client is yet to post a job. I would also like to take note that only Upwork Plus Clients are part of this test. 

ETA: To clarify why I had noted that only Upwork Plus clients have access to this feature, if a client is in a paid membership, we can use this as an indicator that the client is an engaged and active client, who is serious about hiring on the platform, and is willing to pay for a monthly membership to work with top talent on Upwork.

rafsun_ug
Community Member

Thanks for reaching here, Avery. But I am not clear. Don't we have any option to check the client's history or profile who messaged directly before posting a Job? 

BojanS
Community Manager

Hi Rafsun,

The information about the client can be found at the bottom of the Direct Message email that is sent when a client Direct Messages you. However, I noticed that you turned off notifications for new messages in your settings. So I'm going to send you a PM with more information.

Thank you! 

researchediting
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

Hi Rafsun, 

I checked and can confirm that the client is yet to post a job. I would also like to take note that only Upwork Plus Clients are part of this test. 

Avery,

You say that as if Plus status for a client has any relevance to this discussion or matters in the least to a contractor. So they pay Upwork extra money. So what?

Best,

Michael

vsalinitro
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Rafsun,

The information about the client can be found at the bottom of the Direct Message email that is sent when a client Direct Messages you. However, I noticed that you turned off notifications for new messages in your settings. So I'm going to send you a PM with more information.

Thank you! 

I just checked the email I got when I received a direct message and there are no information about the client except for the name and the message.

Mea culpa, I cannot find the email I got when I received the direct message, the email I was referring to was about an unread message left in the chat by the same client.

BojanS
Community Manager

Hi Valerio,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the email you're referring to. I'll check that and advise you accordingly.

Thank you.