cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct message before hiring- new beta test

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 66

This week, we will begin beta testing a Direct Message tool that allows Plus clients to reach out directly to freelancers they want to work with before they post a job. 

With the experience today, clients have to post a job before they can start a conversation with a freelancer, even if they have already found someone who might be a good fit through doing a search and reviewing their profiles. With the new beta Direct Messages, clients can start a conversation with a freelancer about their project’s scope, budget, timeline, and their availability without having to post a job first. 

Here’s how it will work:

(See example images below which are mockups or taken from the Enterprise experience.)

Plus clients will see a new “Send Message” button next to freelancers’ info.

direct message mockup4.png

When clients click on “Send Message”, they will see the Send Message form.

direct message mockup2.png

Once a Plus client sends a Direct Message, a 1:1 Messages room with that freelancer will be created, and clients and freelancers can access that room by going to Messages. An email will also be sent notifying freelancers that a client wants to chat about their project. In the email, freelancers will be shown the client's number of jobs posted, star review rating and total spend. See example images below taken from the Enterprise experience.

Direct message mockup3.png

If a freelancer is not interested in speaking with the client about the project, they can ignore the Direct Message or can block the client in Messages. Ignoring a Direct Message will not affect the freelancer’s JSS/ responsiveness score or ability to be invited to jobs in the future. Blocking a client will prevent a freelancer from receiving messages and invites from the client in the future.

There is a limit on how many conversations a client can send. Plus clients are able to start 40 conversations within a billing period. This feature is already available for Enterprise and Business clients, they will continue to have unlimited access.

Untitled
Community Guru
Rafsun S Member Since: Feb 10, 2018
2 of 66

WOW! That's lovely! Good decision. I think it will be good for the client.

If we, Freelancers also could get a little bit of this kind of lovely announcement..."Hello, Freelancers, From now, you also can send a message to a client before or after submitting a proposal!" - Oops! Sorry! Daydream! But anyway, I think, this will be good for a client and also for the freelancer. And as a Freelancer, it would be greater than the greatest, if Upwork could think a little bit about the Freelancers to give this kind of love!  

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 66

Rafsun S wrote:

If we, Freelancers also could get a little bit of this kind of lovely announcement..."Hello, Freelancers, From now, you also can send a message to a client before or after submitting a proposal!" 

Yeah, basically a way to submit a proposal without spending connects. I mean what would be the point of trying to reduce the amount of proposals sent to clients by charging for connects if you let people send them messages directly, completely circumventing the proposal?

Can you imagine the number of please respected Sir / maam hire me that clients would get?

It's not gonna to happen.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 66

Free reign for freelancers to pester clients?

It's definitely not going to happen.

There is no equivalency between:

"freelancers messaging clients directly"

and

"plus/enterprise clients are able to message freelancers who opt in to allowing that to happen"

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
5 of 66

Preston H wrote:

"plus/enterprise clients are able to message freelancers who opt in to allowing that to happen"

While I appreciate that allowing freelancers to DM clients before submitting a proposal would be disastrous, please note that, as per Lena's post, freelancers are not able to technically "opt in" to receiving private DM's from clients. There is no such button, yet.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 66

Abinadab: I think you're right.

Being able to opt out of receiving messages from clients... It's such an obvious feature for this plan that I assumed it was part of it. But I think you're right that it isn't.

Heidi M Member Since: Feb 12, 2015
7 of 66

I'd like an opt-out feature. I don't want to be getting DMs from prospective clients until I've had time to read their job post and agree that I want to talk to them. 

Anita N Member Since: Sep 27, 2017
8 of 66

Horrible idea!

Please at least let me opt out!

Anita N Member Since: Sep 27, 2017
9 of 66

This is absolutely a terrible idea!

I just got someone who sent me message after message about his personal problems, even after I told him I was not interested. I don't have time for this!

If I can opt out, please let me know how!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 66

Anita N wrote:

This is absolutely a terrible idea!

I just got someone who sent me message after message about his personal problems, even after I told him I was not interested. I don't have time for this!

If I can opt out, please let me know how!

lol yeah I get spammed by losers trying to sell me their wares.