Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct message before hiring- new beta test

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 76

Hi Anita,

You can block a client from trying to reach you on Messages by selecting the extended menu (3 dots) in the Messages room with that client, and selecting “block.” When you block a client, you will not be able to receive invites from them in the future.

I hope this helps!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
12 of 76

Rene K wrote:

Rafsun S wrote:

If we, Freelancers also could get a little bit of this kind of lovely announcement..."Hello, Freelancers, From now, you also can send a message to a client before or after submitting a proposal!" 

Yeah, basically a way to submit a proposal without spending connects. I mean what would be the point of trying to reduce the amount of proposals sent to clients by charging for connects if you let people send them messages directly, completely circumventing the proposal?

Can you imagine the number of please respected Sir / maam hire me that clients would get?

It's not gonna to happen.

I understand the problem with allowing freelancers to reach out to clients without connects, but there are SO many jobs listed which don't answer all the questions. I don't know if Upwork could have some kind of feature like you might see on REI or amazon where users can ask questions about the product right on the job description page? ( I imagine many of us would have the same question, like, when you say "ebook" do you actually mean epub/mobi (for an ereader like Kindle or iBooks), or do you just want a PDF you can post on your website?" ("How many words is your book?" "Is it a text-based nonfiction book or do you need callout quotes, infographics, images/photos, and tables created?")

I don't want to spend 6 connects to have my question answered, so instead I just ignore the job, and the client loses a lot of potentially qualified applicants.

Or maybe top rated freelancers could be allowed 1 or 2 DMs per month. Or give clients more than 3 invites per job since we can basically ask questions for "free" if we've been invited to submit a proposal.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
13 of 76

you can't be serious....

just imagine a torrent of useless messages clients will get? I suspect  most clients will run for the hills (well, the ones that stayed after upwork raised prices on their plans)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
14 of 76

Quite a bummer the Team has decided to give too much of an advantage to the Plus clients over the Basic clients. wrt which many have told you they don't want to join Plus.

Can the Basic clients have at least some free DMs?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 76

re" "Quite a bummer the Team has decided to give too much of an advantage to the Plus clients over the Basic clients. wrt which many have told you they don't want to join Plus."

This is not a game or a sport. It's not a matter of "one side having an advantage."

Clients pay freelancers.

Freelancers receive money from clients.

Not the same thing.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
16 of 76

Preston H wrote:

re" "Quite a bummer the Team has decided to give too much of an advantage to the Plus clients over the Basic clients. wrt which many have told you they don't want to join Plus."

This is not a game or a sport. It's not a matter of "one side having an advantage."

Clients pay freelancers.

Freelancers receive money from clients.

Not the same thing.

I don't read Abinadab's message as implying this is a game. And I agree with him it's a shame Basic plan clients seem to be cut out of the DM opportunity. Not surprising, as UW needs to bolster the perceived value of the premium plans. But personally, a lot of my clients come to UW for a specific project with no expecatation of doing a lot of hiring here or doing it with any frequency. So they are not likely to plump for a premium plan, at least initially. At the same time, the nature of custom research means that client and FL really do need to have a preliminary chat before either one invests in the first steps of posting a job or subimtting a proposal. Most clients need a little input in order to determine their project scope so they can write a decent description. From the FL side, I need to know what ballpark they are in (budget, complexity, time) to know if I might be a good fit for their needs. Which is the long way of saying that I wish Basic clients could have a few free DMs.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Michelle T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
17 of 76

Instead of messaging me, I'd rather the client be required to provide additional information on a job posting. Job sites require more information than what I"ve seen on the postings here. For example, I've seen simple postings like: "I want new branding and a website." Nothing more than that. Also, I'd rather my messages be tied to a job posting because it's better for negotiating the details of a contract later on. With this method, you really have no idea how many freelancers the client is interviewing. I have enough proposals where the client doesn't hire anyone so I don't need messages that never turn into job postings. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Annette E Member Since: Mar 17, 2018
18 of 76

Michelle T wrote:

Instead of messaging me, I'd rather the client be required to provide additional information on a job posting. Job sites require more information than what I"ve seen on the postings here. For example, I've seen simple postings like: "I want new branding and a website." Nothing more than that. Also, I'd rather my messages be tied to a job posting because it's better for negotiating the details of a contract later on. With this method, you really have no idea how many freelancers the client is interviewing. I have enough proposals where the client doesn't hire anyone so I don't need messages that never turn into job postings. 

Also add a mandatory "willing to pay XX" on the client side + an option for freelancers to opt out of receiving messages from potential clients who is not prepared to pay the freelancer's fee.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
19 of 76

Annette E wrote:

Also add a mandatory "willing to pay XX" on the client side + an option for freelancers to opt out of receiving messages from potential clients who is not prepared to pay the freelancer's fee.

You don't want that. If I'm messaging you about a job it means that I don't know what it entails and how much it's gonna to cost. Upwork makes us put a figure into the budget field for fixed price jobs, which is stupid enough, please do not promote this. Clients are not expected to know the costs of their projects.

Talk with clients and say no thanks if you don't want to work with then.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
20 of 76

Annette E wrote:

Michelle T wrote:

No, thanks. I prefer to do my own negotiating, which involves helping a client understand the value I bring. If they initate contact, then presumably they've checked out my profile and know what price range I operate in. If they are coming in to offer me a fraction of my rate, it will take no time at all to rebuff them. I'll happily field a lot of those types if there's also an occasional live one.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS