cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct message before hiring- new beta test

Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
51 of 69

Nice for clients. Not so nice for freelancers. 

Recent conversation (roughly) on similar system:

Client: Hi!

Me: Hi! How can I help you?

Client: Do you do X? What would it cost me?

Me: [answer, mentioning pricing including discounts, timeframe, services, etc.]

... And the client was never heard from again.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
52 of 69

This week, I have heard some appalling stories about the direct messaging before hire feature.  Freelancers getting messages from "clients"  who are really freelancers begging for work, freelancers getting messages offering to rewrite their profiles, and on and on.  The abuse of this feature seems to far outweigh any probative value it could possibly have.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
53 of 69

Hi Mary,

Could you please ask the freelancers who shared those experiences with you to send me a pm with screenshots and relevant information, so I can take a look?

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
54 of 69

Will do, Vlad Daddy...

Community Guru
Rafsun S Member Since: Feb 10, 2018
55 of 69

Hello Experts,
Take my best regards. A client has messaged me directly for a job. But I can't enter into her profile or history because there is no link for any Job Post or her profile in the message. Is there any way to know about the client and her history. Thanks in advance!

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
56 of 69

It's another iniative that Upwork seems to think is a good idea ... it's not. Here's the announcement:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Direct-message-before-hiring-new-beta-test/m-p/624836#...

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
57 of 69

Hi Rafsun, 

I checked and can confirm that the client is yet to post a job. I would also like to take note that only Upwork Plus Clients are part of this test. 

ETA: To clarify why I had noted that only Upwork Plus clients have access to this feature, if a client is in a paid membership, we can use this as an indicator that the client is an engaged and active client, who is serious about hiring on the platform, and is willing to pay for a monthly membership to work with top talent on Upwork.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Rafsun S Member Since: Feb 10, 2018
58 of 69

Thanks for reaching here, Avery. But I am not clear. Don't we have any option to check the client's history or profile who messaged directly before posting a Job? 

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
59 of 69

Hi Rafsun,

The information about the client can be found at the bottom of the Direct Message email that is sent when a client Direct Messages you. However, I noticed that you turned off notifications for new messages in your settings. So I'm going to send you a PM with more information.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Leader
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
60 of 69

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Rafsun,

The information about the client can be found at the bottom of the Direct Message email that is sent when a client Direct Messages you. However, I noticed that you turned off notifications for new messages in your settings. So I'm going to send you a PM with more information.

Thank you! 

I just checked the email I got when I received a direct message and there are no information about the client except for the name and the message.

Mea culpa, I cannot find the email I got when I received the direct message, the email I was referring to was about an unread message left in the chat by the same client.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS