cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diversity certifications available on US profiles

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 36

Today we are excited to announce the release of Diversity certifications on profiles. U.S.-based freelancers and agencies with registered businesses that have earned certification can now provide their diversity certification information and details to be displayed on their profiles.  These certifications are available for the following businesses:

• Minority-owned 
  • Woman-owned 
  • U.S. veteran-owned
  • Disability-owned
  • LGBTQ+-owned

Our goal is to create a more inclusive platform by providing underrepresented groups access to economic opportunities.  To start, this certification will only show to Enterprise and Business clients as we monitor the impact. These clients have indicated they are most interested in seeking out diverse businesses and often have diversity and inclusion initiatives as part of their hiring practices. 

How does it work?

Talent will now see a “Diversity certification” section on their profile (right rail for agencies and left rail for freelancers)

They can select which type of diversity business they have:

• Minority-owned 
  • Woman-owned 
  • U.S. veteran-owned
  • Disability-owned
  • LGBTQ+-owned

They’ll be asked to enter their certification information, including legal business name, certification number, expiration date, etc.

Once certification details have been entered, talent will see the indicator on their profile as “self-reported”. Upwork is currently working with certifying bodies in the U.S. only.

Note: A diverse business may qualify for more than one certification.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 36

Apart from this very uninclusive veering away from its 'global' image - how much more "excitement" is Upwork going to subject us to? So pleased that everyone on Upwork is "excited" but the word is becoming seriously devalued. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Michael S Member Since: Oct 17, 2019
3 of 36

I'm sure there will be much more excitement coming for us.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 36

Another smack in the face of non-US freelancers.

Lena E wrote:

Our goal is to create a more inclusive platform

inclusive... as long as it's US. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
5 of 36

**bleep** that you only think of the US when you do something.
Except for the "American veterans", of the rest, there are also in the rest of the world.
Upwork is supposed to be international, but it seems like only look at its belly button.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
6 of 36

Is this feature only going to appear if clients limit their search to the "US only" market? Or, will clients all over the world only see American freelancers when they search for a diversity hire?

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
7 of 36
We DO plan to expand diversity certifications to our talent internationally. We started with US since we are most familiar with how these certifications are earned. We are learning about diversity certifications in several other countries and will begin expanding to other countries in 2021.
Untitled
Highlighted
Demetrius M Member Since: Nov 4, 2020
8 of 36

Thanks for the information Lena! Question for you. When I attempt to add a diversity certification, and I select the option saying "I don't have a certification" the "No problem. We can help you get certified!" message comes up with a link saying "Learn more about how to get certified". This link, pasted below, takes me to a page that says "You're not authorized to access this page". Is this an error, or just temporary with an update to the page coming soon?

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360055866253

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
9 of 36

Hi Demetrius,

Thanks for taking the time to report this to us! I shared the issue with the help article with our team so that it can be fixed.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Alexander B Member Since: Mar 30, 2017
10 of 36

Well, not everyone on this site is a freelancer. There's no telling what %  work for or are associated with an agency. I also don't consider the companies who have freelancer profiles as freelancers either. (As an example, one employee at a company will have an Upwork account to help generate leads for their web design agency, or their marketing agency, etc.)