🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Diversity certifications available on US prof...
Page options

Diversity certifications available on US profiles

lenaellis
Community Member

Today we are excited to announce the release of Diversity certifications on profiles. U.S.-based freelancers and agencies with registered businesses that have earned certification can now provide their diversity certification information and details to be displayed on their profiles.  These certifications are available for the following businesses:

• Minority-owned 
  • Woman-owned 
  • U.S. veteran-owned
  • Disability-owned
  • LGBTQ+-owned

Our goal is to create a more inclusive platform by providing underrepresented groups access to economic opportunities.  To start, this certification will only show to Enterprise and Business clients as we monitor the impact. These clients have indicated they are most interested in seeking out diverse businesses and often have diversity and inclusion initiatives as part of their hiring practices. 

How does it work?

Talent will now see a “Diversity certification” section on their profile (right rail for agencies and left rail for freelancers)

They can select which type of diversity business they have:

• Minority-owned 
  • Woman-owned 
  • U.S. veteran-owned
  • Disability-owned
  • LGBTQ+-owned

They’ll be asked to enter their certification information, including legal business name, certification number, expiration date, etc.

Once certification details have been entered, talent will see the indicator on their profile as “self-reported”. Upwork is currently working with certifying bodies in the U.S. only.

Note: A diverse business may qualify for more than one certification.

75 Comments
colettelewis
Community Member

Apart from this very uninclusive veering away from its 'global' image - how much more "excitement" is Upwork going to subject us to? So pleased that everyone on Upwork is "excited" but the word is becoming seriously devalued. 

datatraveler1
Community Member

I'm sure there will be much more excitement coming for us.

petra_r
Community Member

Another smack in the face of non-US freelancers.

Lena E wrote:

Our goal is to create a more inclusive platform

inclusive... as long as it's US. 

m_terrazas
Community Member

**bleep** that you only think of the US when you do something.
Except for the "American veterans", of the rest, there are also in the rest of the world.
Upwork is supposed to be international, but it seems like only look at its belly button.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Is this feature only going to appear if clients limit their search to the "US only" market? Or, will clients all over the world only see American freelancers when they search for a diversity hire?

alphazomgy
Community Member

Well, not everyone on this site is a freelancer. There's no telling what %  work for or are associated with an agency. I also don't consider the companies who have freelancer profiles as freelancers either. (As an example, one employee at a company will have an Upwork account to help generate leads for their web design agency, or their marketing agency, etc.) 

alphazomgy
Community Member

Not really, just poking fun. As someone else mentioned, the irony of Upwork's annoucement is that this is only for people in the US, yet Upwork is a global marketplace. I also thought it was interesting that Upwork chose to leave certain "groups" out of their certification. That in itself is discrimination. 

a_lipsey
Community Member

Alexander B wrote:

Not really, just poking fun. As someone else mentioned, the irony of Upwork's annoucement is that this is only for people in the US, yet Upwork is a global marketplace. I also thought it was interesting that Upwork chose to leave certain "groups" out of their certification. That in itself is discrimination. 

Just poking fun at an underrepresented groups.   Right. Cause that's okay.   

I'm in agreement with others that the limitation to US only is unacceptable; discrimination is something experienced throughout the world. But please do tell me which other groups, legitimate underrepresented groups and not just your  "self-made"  which all those you mocked are already, you are referring to.  Your remark was implicitly discriminatory. If you wanted to suggest other groups be included then suggest actual other groups to be included., don't mock those that are discriminated against  daily.   Upwork based those certifications on  groups that are certified by the SBA, which certifies businesses owned by protected classes.  If you feel they are missing a specific protected class, then say which one.   

christopherbudde
Community Member

"Our goal is to create a more inclusive platform by providing underrepresented groups access to economic opportunities"

How exactly has UpWork decided that certain groups are underrepresented? I wasn't asked if I was gay, a veteran or disabled when I completed my profile. I'm curious where the data is coming from. Actually, it appears to be just virtue signaling.

2a05aa63
Community Member

Interesting how the LGBTQ could either help you with jobs or the opposite...