🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Diversity certifications available on US prof...
Page options

Diversity certifications available on US profiles

lenaellis
Community Member

Today we are excited to announce the release of Diversity certifications on profiles. U.S.-based freelancers and agencies with registered businesses that have earned certification can now provide their diversity certification information and details to be displayed on their profiles.  These certifications are available for the following businesses:

• Minority-owned 
  • Woman-owned 
  • U.S. veteran-owned
  • Disability-owned
  • LGBTQ+-owned

Our goal is to create a more inclusive platform by providing underrepresented groups access to economic opportunities.  To start, this certification will only show to Enterprise and Business clients as we monitor the impact. These clients have indicated they are most interested in seeking out diverse businesses and often have diversity and inclusion initiatives as part of their hiring practices. 

How does it work?

Talent will now see a “Diversity certification” section on their profile (right rail for agencies and left rail for freelancers)

They can select which type of diversity business they have:

• Minority-owned 
  • Woman-owned 
  • U.S. veteran-owned
  • Disability-owned
  • LGBTQ+-owned

They’ll be asked to enter their certification information, including legal business name, certification number, expiration date, etc.

Once certification details have been entered, talent will see the indicator on their profile as “self-reported”. Upwork is currently working with certifying bodies in the U.S. only.

Note: A diverse business may qualify for more than one certification.

75 Comments
datatraveler1
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

Alexander B wrote:

Not really, just poking fun. As someone else mentioned, the irony of Upwork's annoucement is that this is only for people in the US, yet Upwork is a global marketplace. I also thought it was interesting that Upwork chose to leave certain "groups" out of their certification. That in itself is discrimination. 

Just poking fun at an underrepresented groups.   Right. Cause that's okay.   

I'm in agreement with others that the limitation to US only is unacceptable; discrimination is something experienced throughout the world. But please do tell me which other groups, legitimate underrepresented groups and not just your  "self-made"  which all those you mocked are already, you are referring to.  Your remark was implicitly discriminatory. If you wanted to suggest other groups be included then suggest actual other groups to be included., don't mock those that are discriminated against  daily.   Upwork based those certifications on  groups that are certified by the SBA, which certifies businesses owned by protected classes.  If you feel they are missing a specific protected class, then say which one.   

*REDCATED*

On second thought, I'd better keep my thoughts to myself.

2a05aa63
Community Member

Uhm, why was my comment deleted? 
I had a contract that ended after the client discovered I was part of LGBTQ+. It's a real issue. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Viacheslav K wrote:

Uhm, why was my comment deleted? 
I had a contract that ended after the client discovered I was part of LGBTQ+. It's a real issue. 

I'm sorry to hear that that happened to you. Yes, I wonder whether having this designation visible will do some freelancers more harm than good. Everyone will have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages before taking part.

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Viacheslav,

I'm sorry to hear about your extremely distressing experience with the client you mentioned and thank you for sharing your story. I've reached out to you privately and would appreciate if you could follow up on my private message. Your earlier comment is again available on this thread, I apologize for the error on my end.

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

ANY of those designations can work against a freelancer.  

The problem here is that Upwork believes it is creating a community of inclusiveness, when in fact, these certifications do the complete opposite.  

If there was no underprivileged/underrepresented groups certification, would you even know who was a minority?  A lesbian?  A veteran?  Who has a disability?  No, you would not.   Inclusivity is the removal of barriers that divide people into groups.

sketchstudios
Community Member

How do you get these certifications?

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

If you go to your profile and scroll down you should see it on the lower left side.  From there you edit/select the designation you want etc.

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Shelley,

Thanks for your question. We added a new section in your profile called “Diversity Certification” where you can add your information. Once you add the details, the badge will automatically appear. 

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

You know what would be a really useful feature?  A way to get back to the Upwork dashboard after going to the help section or these forums.

researchediting
Community Member

As Amanda pointed out, these certifications are based on and defined by US legislation and governed by the Small Business Administration. The SBA has designated recognized certifying authorities, such as the NGLCC.

This is not about freelancers. This is not about virtue signaling. This is, as stated by Upwork, about helping Enterprise and Business clients who have diversity and inclusion goals and set-asides fulfill those goals and spend that money. Clients spending more money on Upwork is good for all of us.

Since the enabling legislation is based on inequities within the US, chances are US citizenship or employable residence is a requirement for being counted for the goals and set-asides.