🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Diversity certifications available on US prof...
Page options

Diversity certifications available on US profiles

lenaellis
Community Member

Today we are excited to announce the release of Diversity certifications on profiles. U.S.-based freelancers and agencies with registered businesses that have earned certification can now provide their diversity certification information and details to be displayed on their profiles.  These certifications are available for the following businesses:

• Minority-owned 
  • Woman-owned 
  • U.S. veteran-owned
  • Disability-owned
  • LGBTQ+-owned

Our goal is to create a more inclusive platform by providing underrepresented groups access to economic opportunities.  To start, this certification will only show to Enterprise and Business clients as we monitor the impact. These clients have indicated they are most interested in seeking out diverse businesses and often have diversity and inclusion initiatives as part of their hiring practices. 

How does it work?

Talent will now see a “Diversity certification” section on their profile (right rail for agencies and left rail for freelancers)

They can select which type of diversity business they have:

• Minority-owned 
  • Woman-owned 
  • U.S. veteran-owned
  • Disability-owned
  • LGBTQ+-owned

They’ll be asked to enter their certification information, including legal business name, certification number, expiration date, etc.

Once certification details have been entered, talent will see the indicator on their profile as “self-reported”. Upwork is currently working with certifying bodies in the U.S. only.

Note: A diverse business may qualify for more than one certification.

75 Comments
researchediting
Community Member

Viacheslav K wrote:

I had a contract that ended after the client discovered I was part of LGBTQ+. It's a real issue. 

It is a real issue. I decided decades ago that my attitude would be:
"Joke 'em if they can't take a **Edited for community guidelines**"

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Long live the CSR!

lenaellis
Community Member

Hi Jeremiah, just click on the Upwork logo right at the top of the page. 

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

It doesn't take me back to the job search area.  It takes me to the login and basically kicks me out of the system. Every other attempt just recycles me back to the community area with no way to go back to the job search dashboard.

There needs to be an easy (and intuitive) way for a freelancer to go back to the job search area - this is where we spend the bulk of our time.

lenaellis
Community Member
We DO plan to expand diversity certifications to our talent internationally. We started with US since we are most familiar with how these certifications are earned. We are learning about diversity certifications in several other countries and will begin expanding to other countries in 2021.
alphazomgy
Community Member

Type in Upwork.com in the search bar.

Press enter.

Problem solved. 

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Why don't I just Google it first, then navigate to Yahoo's web browser, then login again as if I were never on the site to begin with?

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a well-designed webpage that is easy to navigate.

Afterall, they took the time to add diversity certifications because it brings in more business revenue, why not take a moment to fix a navigation issue so that freelancers can spend more time looking and applying for work rather than navigating out of the site, then having to come back in?  Wouldn't you want your website optimized to produce the most revenue possible?

lenaellis
Community Member

Thanks, Jeremiah. I didn't realize it was logging you off of Upwork. I will escalate your concern to our developers. 

ionutd
Community Member

But is this not discrimination? For instance, as a gay male who is a freelancer and doesn't have a company...shouldn't I get a badge for being gay? Will the clients simply hire gay people or minorities because they are minorities not because of their actual talent? I constantly see so many low quality presentation designers here who have so many badges simply because they please their clients. Is this the future? Will we get selected based on personal preferences and willingness to submit, not on quality? What about those who refuse to use their gay identity to ear money because they want to be treated like regular individuals not minorities? I can speak on this subject because I am gay and European. I'm sorry Upwork but you are wrong. And I think it's not fair to have agencies that will appear to be LGBTQ+ owned while freelancers who are gay, cannot use this card. Besides, as a gay man, I don't agree with the LGBTQ agenda. What do we do? Don't you think that Upwork goes against human rights and discriminates even the minorities that they apparently try to represent?

Have an excellent day,

George

researchediting
Community Member

Ionut D wrote:

But is this not discrimination? For instance, as a gay male who is a freelancer and doesn't have a company...shouldn't I get a badge for being gay?

In the US—which at this point defines the parameters of the program—by virtue of being a freelancer/contractor you are a company: a "sole proprietor," informally known as a "d.b.a." (a person doing business as whatever entity. I believe other countries have similar default or self-designations, such as auto-entrepreneur.

Will the clients simply hire gay people or minorities because they are minorities not because of their actual talent?

If one wants to support LGBTQ+ or other minority rights, or invidual gay or other minority people, there are many less convoluted ways to do so. In short: no. Clients come here to get work done, not to make charitable contributions.

I constantly see so many low quality presentation designers here who have so many badges simply because they please their clients.

Upwork does not hand out badges like Halloween candy, on demand. Each one is earned by specific and public criteria; each one means a different thing. Every one of them has nothing to do with us, and everything to do with what clients are looking for. They're like the various kinds of kosher designations or other certifications on food or electronics. In Upwork's eyes, we're the goods, and they will automatically stamp us with, or allow us to apply for, whatever seal of marketability they care to.
Is this the future? Will we get selected based on personal preferences and willingness to submit, not on quality?

As above: no.

What about those who refuse to use their gay identity to ear money because they want to be treated like regular individuals not minorities?
OK. All the more set-asides for me.
I can speak on this subject because I am gay and European. I'm sorry Upwork but you are wrong. And I think it's not fair to have agencies that will appear to be LGBTQ+ owned while freelancers who are gay, cannot use this card.
As someone going through the certification process—through a national private trade group authorized by a government agency—I would not expect "appearing" to be LGBTQ+ owned would be worth the trouble to fake, or a deception easy to long sustain. As some have pointed out, it could be as much a drawback as an advantage. And as Lena has pointed out, Upwork is essentially piloting this program in the US while it researches how it might be made available elsewhere. They do that a lot.