🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Diversity certifications available on US prof...
Page options

Diversity certifications available on US profiles

lenaellis
Community Member

Today we are excited to announce the release of Diversity certifications on profiles. U.S.-based freelancers and agencies with registered businesses that have earned certification can now provide their diversity certification information and details to be displayed on their profiles.  These certifications are available for the following businesses:

• Minority-owned 
  • Woman-owned 
  • U.S. veteran-owned
  • Disability-owned
  • LGBTQ+-owned

Our goal is to create a more inclusive platform by providing underrepresented groups access to economic opportunities.  To start, this certification will only show to Enterprise and Business clients as we monitor the impact. These clients have indicated they are most interested in seeking out diverse businesses and often have diversity and inclusion initiatives as part of their hiring practices. 

How does it work?

Talent will now see a “Diversity certification” section on their profile (right rail for agencies and left rail for freelancers)

They can select which type of diversity business they have:

• Minority-owned 
  • Woman-owned 
  • U.S. veteran-owned
  • Disability-owned
  • LGBTQ+-owned

They’ll be asked to enter their certification information, including legal business name, certification number, expiration date, etc.

Once certification details have been entered, talent will see the indicator on their profile as “self-reported”. Upwork is currently working with certifying bodies in the U.S. only.

Note: A diverse business may qualify for more than one certification.

75 Comments
JoanneP

Hi Beth,

I've shared your request to the team, and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket. 

skodtdesign
Community Member

I have added my certification number to my profile, but I am not seeing anything come up on the public view.  Is this normal?

NikolaS

Hi Jarrett,

I am sorry for the late response. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

skodtdesign
Community Member

Whomever got this just keeps giving the same canned response:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

LuiggiR

Hi Jarrett,

I apologize for any confusion that could've caused. I can see that you replied to the support ticket to get clarification. Please note that the team assisting you should be getting back to you soon on this. Also, kindly continue to communicate through that ticket if you have any additional questions so that they can assist you more effectively.

Thank you.

592d7d0f
Community Member

Woman owned business here. How do I certify this?

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your question. Supplier diversity certifications are available from numerous agencies. You may consider looking into Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) as a certifying agency.

john_palm
Community Member

This badge will backfire, making it very easy for racists and other bigots to easily identify who *not* to hire.

It's racist to base hiring decisions on skin color, and sexist based on gender. This badge enables harmful discriminatory behavior. It's 2020 and we should hire based solely on merit.

skodtdesign
Community Member

By that rational, headshot photos should also be removed.

john_palm
Community Member
I would be entirely ok with removing headshots.

We already can't see photos of clients.