🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Diversity certifications available on US prof...
Page options

Diversity certifications available on US profiles

lenaellis
Community Member

Today we are excited to announce the release of Diversity certifications on profiles. U.S.-based freelancers and agencies with registered businesses that have earned certification can now provide their diversity certification information and details to be displayed on their profiles.  These certifications are available for the following businesses:

• Minority-owned 
  • Woman-owned 
  • U.S. veteran-owned
  • Disability-owned
  • LGBTQ+-owned

Our goal is to create a more inclusive platform by providing underrepresented groups access to economic opportunities.  To start, this certification will only show to Enterprise and Business clients as we monitor the impact. These clients have indicated they are most interested in seeking out diverse businesses and often have diversity and inclusion initiatives as part of their hiring practices. 

How does it work?

Talent will now see a “Diversity certification” section on their profile (right rail for agencies and left rail for freelancers)

They can select which type of diversity business they have:

• Minority-owned 
  • Woman-owned 
  • U.S. veteran-owned
  • Disability-owned
  • LGBTQ+-owned

They’ll be asked to enter their certification information, including legal business name, certification number, expiration date, etc.

Once certification details have been entered, talent will see the indicator on their profile as “self-reported”. Upwork is currently working with certifying bodies in the U.S. only.

Note: A diverse business may qualify for more than one certification.

75 Comments
skodtdesign
Community Member

In a perfect world, none of this would be necessary.  We do not live in a perfect world and Diversity Certification are not going to fix that. 

However, laws have been enacted in the US requiring diversity hires for may types of projects.  So long as thse laws are on the books and enforcable, the diversity certifications become necessary.  While all money is green, if a potential client passes me over because of a little badge that says I am a veteran or based on the whiteness of my headshot, I do not lose sleep over it.

But if I do get a sweet gig working on a government contract because I am diversity hire, who happens to be well qualified in my field, I am OK with that.  I did not make the rules, I am just playing the game.

dmullen1
Community Member

This issue has been fixed. Thank you for your help!

bevlowen
Community Member

This is downright silly.

Why should women have priority over men?

Why should LGBTQ have priority over non-LGBTQ?

Why should a client know about a contractor's race / sexual orientation / disabilities or anything else, for that matter?
If the client only wants people who are 5'4" and above, he / she / they can specify it.

How about peace activists--do we get diversity certification?

researchediting
Community Member

Beverly L wrote:

This is downright silly.

Why should women have priority over men?

Why should LGBTQ have priority over non-LGBTQ?

Why should a client know about a contractor's race / sexual orientation / disabilities or anything else, for that matter?
If the client only wants people who are 5'4" and above, he / she / they can specify it.

How about peace activists--do we get diversity certification?

Your questions have been answered many times in this thread. I'm a little surprised that a peace activist is unaware of US protected and affirmative action categories. Be that as it may, when peace activists get setasides, I'll be behind you 100 percent.

swork2017
Community Member

Ok,  so I'm a little afraid to make a comment here, but I'll give it a try.

Recently, I took on a task to encourage businesses in my field to train and hire underrepresented groups in the work force.  This fell into my lap as a result of a simple conversation as to how our industy was trying to promote this idea and which non-profit and governmental agencies would be working with members of this industry.

I quickly realized that I didn't have a clue what diversity or underrepresented meant in the work force!  I thought I did, but I really didn't.  I was suprised.

I read over the material my organization had published to somewhat describe what they were doing, but really it didn't carry much "meat."  I started to dive in.  I literally started with googling diversity in the workforce.  This led me to interviewing human resource executives, academics, people of color, sexual orientation, and many other groups leading to this "cooperative" of underrepresented people.

I found myself reading about DEI, watching Youtube seminars, reading books about the history of abuse of those of low income backgrounds, disabilities, sexual orientation, and many other groups who somehow have been hurt or pushed aside because of their identity that seemed somehow to define them, not to define their abilities.

I continue, however keep in mind I am a novice at this.  My next job was to develop a presentation to about 50 professionals in my field.  The statistics I presented were very clear.  The predominant population was 75% white male,  about 20% white female, and about 5% "other."  I'm sorry but my data was limited to just self identified gender, age, and race.  No other element to go by.

The presentation took me from "gee, how can we be diverse la la la" to "here are the things going on in society, this is what you need to know, we should all become aware of what it means to be underrepresented, and these are some of the ways you can become enlightened."  I became a powerful source of a message and I took a risk.

I am part of an indsustry of small, independent, businesses.  Most are legacy with the dad passing down the business to the son, etc  (see what I mean).  There is very little room for exposure to discussion of what is Diversity,  Equity, and Inclusion.  Not every one is up on this topic.  I'm sorry, but it's the truth.  So, maybe becoming certified in a diversity topic tells your potential client that you actually know something, and it's not about you being the diverse one, but you understanding how to interact and appreciate those who are.  

john_palm
Community Member

Hi Susan,

I recommend looking up Thomas Sowell on youtube. He is perhaps the world leading expert on issues concerning diversity.

try this to get started:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=thomas+sowell+disparities

592d7d0f
Community Member

Kudos to you, Susan,

Being willng to look at ourselves honestly, to admit we might be wrong, and to learn is rare and hugely important. It's the only way to grow.  I always say that the hardest person to see is the one in the mirror.

If anyone is interested in learning about themself, the Harvard Implicit Bias tests are fascinating. 

Take a test here:  https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html 

All the best,
Jane

swork2017
Community Member

Thanks to both of you!

It was my first presentation in 30 years and my daughter had to help me with PowerPoint.

592d7d0f
Community Member

When I was first showing my jewelry on cruise ships I was surprised that they told me my seminar was booked for the next day.  They asked me if I had a Powerpoint presentation and I said "Of course I do.  What's Powerpoint?"  I had to learn fast!!!  The first presentation had one picture.  😉 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ad2010
Community Member

Interesting.  Not too long ago being a minority was a detriment to getting business.  I am still hesitant to highlight the fact that I'm not white.  Why would this suddenly be a plus. Do the clients get some sort of tax incentive for hiring minority owned businesses/freelancers?  

Again, highlighting my non-whiteness is USUALLY BAD for business.  But if there is some woke trend/incentives from the govt then I AM IN!  Otherwise I would think clients would just yell "next!" the second they even see the word minority.

So the next questions is:  HOW TO WE APPLY/NOTIFY that we are minority certified? I see the screenshots but no link to where those application screens already are.

Thx for your input and advice!!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**