🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Diversity certifications available on US prof...
Page options

Diversity certifications available on US profiles

lenaellis
Community Member

Today we are excited to announce the release of Diversity certifications on profiles. U.S.-based freelancers and agencies with registered businesses that have earned certification can now provide their diversity certification information and details to be displayed on their profiles.  These certifications are available for the following businesses:

• Minority-owned 
  • Woman-owned 
  • U.S. veteran-owned
  • Disability-owned
  • LGBTQ+-owned

Our goal is to create a more inclusive platform by providing underrepresented groups access to economic opportunities.  To start, this certification will only show to Enterprise and Business clients as we monitor the impact. These clients have indicated they are most interested in seeking out diverse businesses and often have diversity and inclusion initiatives as part of their hiring practices. 

How does it work?

Talent will now see a “Diversity certification” section on their profile (right rail for agencies and left rail for freelancers)

They can select which type of diversity business they have:

• Minority-owned 
  • Woman-owned 
  • U.S. veteran-owned
  • Disability-owned
  • LGBTQ+-owned

They’ll be asked to enter their certification information, including legal business name, certification number, expiration date, etc.

Once certification details have been entered, talent will see the indicator on their profile as “self-reported”. Upwork is currently working with certifying bodies in the U.S. only.

Note: A diverse business may qualify for more than one certification.

75 Comments
ad2010
Community Member

yeah! I have noticed this with clients too to the point where I am getting hired out to do DEI assessments and next steps recommendations (if they need one) - the govt even spent $4mil on these last year.  Clients mostly like these so they can sleep at night and have a paper trail that they did one, but it ended up being a whole new branch of my PR business because having me do one of those turned out to be good for optics too.  

**Edited for Community Guidelines** 

PradeepH

Hello Andy,

Upwork does not provide Diversity Certification services. Diversity Certifications are available from numerous agencies, including:

The process to apply may vary based on the agency you choose and may include providing supporting documentation, interviews with authorities, verifications, fees, etc. 

If you have already earned a certification please let us know as we are testing out adding diversity certification badges to the Upwork profiles of freelancers and agencies with registered businesses that have earned certification. 

You can add a Diversity Certification Badge directly from your Upwork profile using the green plus (+) button. You can refer to this Help article for more information

Thank you. 

Pradeep H

janerjbr
Community Member

I am interested.

How does it work?

thanks, 

Janaina

BojanS
Community Manager

Hi Janaina,

Thanks for your question. We added a new section in your profile called “Diversity Certification” where you can add your information. Once you add the details, the badge will automatically appear. The process can vary based on the agency that is awarding the certification. Typically, it includes interviews, providing documentation, an on-site visit, and a fee. Note: Upwork doesn’t award the certifications, we provide the Diversity-Certified Badge if you’ve earned certification from an outside group.

beccaparis
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

I'm new to Upwork and wanted to add my 'veteran owned' diversity cert; but the system is saying it cannot be verified.  I've spoken w/ the VA - they do not give their own unique #s.  Rather, we are to use our DUNS #.  I've tried to use my DUNS # in conjunction w/ the expiration date of my VA letter (3yr from award date).

Thank you,

Becca

BojanS
Community Manager

Hi Rebecca,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with this concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

ad2010
Community Member

I had this same problem.  Gave upwork my CAGE# from the federal government with a proof and everything BUT Upwork basically told me they don't accept the word of the U.S. Government ( lol seriously, they did ).  Upwork will only accept from a select number of PAID 3rd party certification companies.  All sounds very scammy to me, so I decided to pass on the certification badge altogether.  

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Andy,

We looked into this and it appears you entered your CAGE # into the form as a provider. However, it is not a provider. Could you please re-submit your entry but select System for Award Management as the provider that issued your CAGE number? That is a recognized provider and your certification should be accepted.

ad2010
Community Member

OK, thank you - I'll try it.

cmpghost123
Community Member

HI,

Do you have to have a Business to sign up? I not sure what this sceen is for? I hope someone can help me out.