cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diversity certifications available on US profiles

Community Leader
Alexander B Member Since: Mar 30, 2017
11 of 46

Not really, just poking fun. As someone else mentioned, the irony of Upwork's annoucement is that this is only for people in the US, yet Upwork is a global marketplace. I also thought it was interesting that Upwork chose to leave certain "groups" out of their certification. That in itself is discrimination. 

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
12 of 46

Alexander B wrote:

Not really, just poking fun. As someone else mentioned, the irony of Upwork's annoucement is that this is only for people in the US, yet Upwork is a global marketplace. I also thought it was interesting that Upwork chose to leave certain "groups" out of their certification. That in itself is discrimination. 

Just poking fun at an underrepresented groups.   Right. Cause that's okay.   

I'm in agreement with others that the limitation to US only is unacceptable; discrimination is something experienced throughout the world. But please do tell me which other groups, legitimate underrepresented groups and not just your  "self-made"  which all those you mocked are already, you are referring to.  Your remark was implicitly discriminatory. If you wanted to suggest other groups be included then suggest actual other groups to be included., don't mock those that are discriminated against  daily.   Upwork based those certifications on  groups that are certified by the SBA, which certifies businesses owned by protected classes.  If you feel they are missing a specific protected class, then say which one.   

Ace Contributor
Michael S Member Since: Oct 17, 2019
13 of 46

Amanda L wrote:

Alexander B wrote:

Just poking fun at an underrepresented groups.   Right. Cause that's okay.   

I'm in agreement with others that the limitation to US only is unacceptable; discrimination is something experienced throughout the world. But please do tell me which other groups, legitimate underrepresented groups and not just your  "self-made"  which all those you mocked are already, you are referring to.  Your remark was implicitly discriminatory. If you wanted to suggest other groups be included then suggest actual other groups to be included., don't mock those that are discriminated against  daily.   Upwork based those certifications on  groups that are certified by the SBA, which certifies businesses owned by protected classes.  If you feel they are missing a specific protected class, then say which one.   

*REDCATED*

On second thought, I'd better keep my thoughts to myself.

Community Leader
Christopher B Member Since: Jul 11, 2015
14 of 46

"Our goal is to create a more inclusive platform by providing underrepresented groups access to economic opportunities"

How exactly has UpWork decided that certain groups are underrepresented? I wasn't asked if I was gay, a veteran or disabled when I completed my profile. I'm curious where the data is coming from. Actually, it appears to be just virtue signaling.

Community Guru
Viacheslav K Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
15 of 46

Uhm, why was my comment deleted? 
I had a contract that ended after the client discovered I was part of LGBTQ+. It's a real issue. 

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
16 of 46

Viacheslav K wrote:

I had a contract that ended after the client discovered I was part of LGBTQ+. It's a real issue. 

I'm sorry to hear that that happened to you. Yes, I wonder whether having this designation visible will do some freelancers more harm than good. Everyone will have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages before taking part.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
17 of 46

Hi Viacheslav,

I'm sorry to hear about your extremely distressing experience with the client you mentioned and thank you for sharing your story. I've reached out to you privately and would appreciate if you could follow up on my private message. Your earlier comment is again available on this thread, I apologize for the error on my end.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 46

Viacheslav K wrote:

It is a real issue. I decided decades ago that my attitude would be:
"Joke 'em if they can't take a **Edited for community guidelines**"

Heather N Member Since: Nov 13, 2020
19 of 46

Viacheslav K wrote:

I am uncertain about the freelance world; however, termination of a contract due to sexual orientation (or race, religion, gender, etc.) is discriminatory and illegal. 

Situations like this should not happen.  I am so sorry that happened to you.    

Community Guru
Viacheslav K Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
20 of 46

Interesting how the LGBTQ could either help you with jobs or the opposite... 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS